HEA - recs for viewing area and how far in advance to stake out?

jacksmommy

Mouseketeer
I did search before posting but didn't find anything. Right now have the dessert party booked but thinking of cancelling. Would love to know thoughts about where to view and how far in advance to get in place. It is myself and my two kids, ages 12 and 8. Thanks!

I don’t like to spend a lot of time waiting/stalking spots, plus inevitably one of the kiddos has to go to the bathroom right before showtime which is a recipe for disaster on dad/kid trips. In the past, I have had reasonable luck in the Plaza West garden (the garden opposite of where the Dessert Party viewing is offered). Many people tend to “think” it’s a reserved area and don’t go in there, so I’ve lucked out into being able squeeze in not too far before showtime (20ish mins).

Granted, that spot does get mentioned a lot, so you won’t be the only one with the same idea.

Also, a small portion of that garden is currently being used for viewing associated with the trial CL Extra FP/nighttime viewing program. The rest of that garden is open to anyone.

If I don’t feel like messing with any of that, I actually like to watch from behind the castle. Granted that’s easier for us as repeat HEA watchers and I don’t necessarily NEED the projections, so that comment may not apply to your circumstances.

I don’t like to spend a lot of time waiting/stalking spots, plus inevitably one of the kiddos has to go to the bathroom right before showtime which is a recipe for disaster on dad/kid trips. In the past, I have had reasonable luck in the Plaza West garden (the garden opposite of where the Dessert Party viewing is offered). Many people tend to “think” it’s a reserved area and don’t go in there, so I’ve lucked out into being able squeeze in not too far before showtime (20ish mins).

Granted, that spot does get mentioned a lot, so you won’t be the only one with the same idea.

Also, a small portion of that garden is currently being used for viewing associated with the trial CL Extra FP/nighttime viewing program. The rest of that garden is open to anyone.

If I don’t feel like messing with any of that, I actually like to watch from behind the castle. Granted that’s easier for us as repeat HEA watchers and I don’t necessarily NEED the projections, so that comment may not apply to your circumstances.

Thanks for chiming in! We watched from behind last year and another time with an obstructed view. I appreciate your insight!

Thanks for chiming in! We watched from behind last year and another time with an obstructed view. I appreciate your insight!

Cool. I should add, if I were going to stake a spot early, I would still try to that Plaza Garden west. The back rail, for us, is great. You can sit against it while waiting and lean against it during the show. Makes for a bit nicer experience when you don’t have someone immediately behind you.

We are usually in Main Street about even with Caseys. we have been able to get a good spot about 30 minutes or less before the show starts.
From behind the castle, I believe you miss the laser mapping which is a huge part of HEA.

Advice is to take care about who is in front of you when looking for a spot. A great spot can suddenly turn worthless when two shoulder kids pop up in front of you. I would look for a spot where there is a railing in front of you.

I have the dessert party booked, too, but am considering canceling and staking out a spot in the garden area in front of Casey’s. My fear is, if I cancel with the plan of viewing it from the West garden area, Disney will decide to use that area for something else (What? I don’t know, but they are good with coming up with new ways for people to spend their money) and then I’ll be without the garden viewing area the dessert party offers and the West garden viewing area.

Our party is booked for June 24th so I still have about a week or so to figure it out.

Advice is to take care about who is in front of you when looking for a spot. A great spot can suddenly turn worthless when two shoulder kids pop up in front of you. I would look for a spot where there is a railing in front of you.

Do you have a recommendation for an area to stand with a railing in front?

There are gated-off garden areas withing the spokes of the hub with railings. In those garden areas, no one can stand so there won't be any shoulder kids there.

When looking for spot, just be aware that when people are in front of you, your clear view before the fireworks start may suddenly vanish because of shoulder kids.

There are gated-off garden areas withing the spokes of the hub with railings. In those garden areas, no one can stand so there won't be any shoulder kids there.

When looking for spot, just be aware that when people are in front of you, your clear view before the fireworks start may suddenly vanish because of shoulder kids.
When was the last time you used one of the garden areas? The east garden area is all reserved for the dessert party (all standing typically, especially now that capacity has been increased), and the west garden has a small section reserved for club level guests that booked extra FPs, and the rest is open and is all standing.

OP: I found the perfect spot during my past trip. In front of the dessert party garden area (Tomorrowland side), there is another rail enclosing a fountain. Right in front of that is where I stood. It is slightly elevated above the rest of the hub, so it is easier to see over the heads of tall people in front of you, and you have a rail to lean back on. I was able to walk up to this area about 20 minutes before the show 2 nights in a row and sit on the ground until about 5 minutes before the show started. Crowds filled in quite a bit once the show started, but it was still very enjoyable. I'm fairly certain there is an identical area on the other side of the hub as well, but they are pretty well centered to the castle so it is a great view.

When was the last time you used one of the garden areas? The east garden area is all reserved for the dessert party (all standing typically, especially now that capacity has been increased), and the west garden has a small section reserved for club level guests that booked extra FPs, and the rest is open and is all standing.

OP: I found the perfect spot during my past trip. In front of the dessert party garden area (Tomorrowland side), there is another rail enclosing a fountain. Right in front of that is where I stood. It is slightly elevated above the rest of the hub, so it is easier to see over the heads of tall people in front of you, and you have a rail to lean back on. I was able to walk up to this area about 20 minutes before the show 2 nights in a row and sit on the ground until about 5 minutes before the show started. Crowds filled in quite a bit once the show started, but it was still very enjoyable. I'm fairly certain there is an identical area on the other side of the hub as well, but they are pretty well centered to the castle so it is a great view.

I'm not referring to being inside the reserved areas, I'm referring to getting a spot where landscaped areas where people can't stand is between you and the castle. If you can get something in front of you where people can't stand, even for just a few feet, it can keep your view clear.

Do you have a recommendation for an area to stand with a railing in front?
We went in March and stood right to the left of the castle. There is a small gated area next to the steps. It was perfect and we showed up about 20 minutes before the show started. There was no one there, but some people started to join us after they saw we found a pretty good spot. Your view will be blocked a little bit by the tower on the left, but we thought it was a really good spot that we didn't have to wait long to get.
Capture.PNG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter