HBD v. Le Ceiler

Jolene Fraser

DisneyLover
We currently have reservations at both Hollywood Brown Derby and Le Ceiler in June (on different days). However, I only want to do one of these. I haven't been to either but always wanted to try Le Ceiler but could never get a reservation. That said, the very limited menu there also gives me pause (basically its steak), but it always gets such rave reviews. I would appreciate thoughts/feedback.

Pre Covid we are not fans of Le Cellier. It is small, dark and the tables are close together and it is very noisy. We didn't think the steak was any better than we could get elsewhere, especially somewhere like at the Yacht Club. We love HBD and eat there just about every trip. It can get noisy if you are down on the main floor but it's not as tight as Le Cellier and I love me a Cobb Salad.

We have eaten at both lately.

If you want a steak, I would go with Le Cellier, the poutine is also very good.
For a delicious salad and grapefruit cake, oh and the margarita flight, go Brown Derby.

After years of trying we finally got an ADR for Le Cellier in February. It was a one and done for us. Neither of us were impressed with the food or the service. My husband grills a better steak and the waiter was less attentive than a 16 yr old at IHOP who's boyfriend is at another table. We haven't eaten at BD for a few years but when we last did, both food and service were exceptional.

Thank you everyone. My inclination is to keep Brown Derby. I've seen lots of great reviews and Le Ceiler just doesn't seem worth the hype or the cost.

My plan is for salad and margarita flight at Brown Derby and Poutine and Maple Creme Brulee at Le Cellier. I normally go on the deluxe plan, so I think I am going to really like the freedom that this next trip offers me!

My wife and I always schedule a reservation at Brown Derby. The Cobb Salad (which originated at the Brown Derby in Hollywood) is nothing like what passes for Cobb Salad at restaurants today, and it is fabulous. Don't fail to share it! Grapefruit cake is always yummy. And in between are a variety of luxurious entrees.

I vote Brown Derby. We always have a good experience there. Le Cellier is good, but it is just a steakhouse; nothing super special. Also, their wine list disappointingly does not highlight many wines from Canada, and they are plentiful! The best parts of my two visits there were joining in the singing of the Canadian Anthem at the opening of service on my first trip and conversing with the table next to us on a more recent trip. Notice neither of those highlights involve food or drink. It is good, but it is not spectacular. The Brown Derby, on the other hand, has a menu with a lot of variety that is constantly evolving while maintaining the classics they are known for. Like a previos poster mentioned, the Cobb salad is fabulous. It is the best salad I have ever eaten. Every time we go we get one either to share or as an entree for one of us. I have also loved their pork chop, scallops, martinis, wine selection, and many other things over the years. It is a must-do for me.

We love Brown Derby for lunch on our HS days - burger, Cobb salad, and martini flights/margarita flights are our go-to’s. It’s great for an A/C break. Our most recent experience at le Cellier in April was underwhelming - the filet was tough, the poutine was too salty, and the creamed spinach was gross and congealed. We ate there in January and everything was delicious, so could have been an off night. Brown Derby has always been consistently good, so I’d probably stick with that one, or do Brown Derby for lunch and le Cellier for dinner another night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter