Hawaii 2020 April

julie tinkerbell

Earning My Ears
Has anyone done the Hawaii Cruise before from Vancouver? Will we need warm clothes for some of the cruise please. I think we will in Vancouver but not sure if we will whilst we are at sea.

Thank you

We sailed Hawaii to Vancouver in Sept. 2015 for the Hawaii cruises, I remember sitting out by the pool during the day in our bathing suits while heading back to Vancouver. I had a hoodie on when we got off in Vancouver.
We were in Vancouver for a couple days for our Alaska cruise in 2013, we just needed long sleeves or a light jacket. The weather was nice and refreshing for us Floridians.
April may be about the same.

Edit to add:
It says when you look their average high is 56 in April, that's chilly, you may need long sleeves and a jacket.

The weather will be pretty much what you would expect in the UK. April can be damp in Vancouver but we've had some pretty warm days. When at sea it will be noticeably cooler when you are on the water - so I would dress for that. Long sleeves and trousers for evenings outside. Would love to do that cruise too!

We did the first Hawaii sailing, which was right about the same time of year as the upcoming Hawaii sailings. We didn't get anywhere close to Vancouver (it was sailing out of LA) and the weather while we were at sea was very cool - they sold a lot of sweatshirts and hoodies on those first sea days. We're on the Hawaii to Vancouver sailing and anticipate cool days at sea so will be packing some warmer close for the second half of the cruise!

What is the best seating time for meals for the Hawaii itinerary. I know with mediteranian cruise it was late seating that was the best. There is going to be no kids in our party group. In addition, there are many days out at sea, and with the excursions for Hawaii you might not get back until 6 pm.

What is the best seating time for meals for the Hawaii itinerary. I know with mediteranian cruise it was late seating that was the best. There is going to be no kids in our party group. In addition, there are many days out at sea, and with the excursions for Hawaii you might not get back until 6 pm.
As with most cruises, the "best" time is the one you are comfortable with. I prefer early dining, regardless of itinerary, while others make like late.

I know last time we did the Hawaii itinerary, there were people meeting excursions as we came in around 1st seating time that were telling people who had first seating not to worry about being late to head right to dinner and they'd be served their full meal. So it depends when you want to eat. We were late seating so were back most days for dinner. but for those few we were in Hawaii, it seemed they were very accommodating to early diners too.

We enjoy the late dining, we like to go to the show at 6 then to the piano bar for a drink and listen to the music.
They always have a great pianist or two on board. We mosey to dinner at 8:15 and we don't feel rushed at all.
The main sitting to me just feels rushed.

Bumping this up as I’m wondering the same thing - port or starboard on the Wonder for Hawaii?

Will have to look at the itinerary and the map once posted to provide more color.

Other than in Kuau'i, most coastlines in Hawaii are fairly tempered. You are not going to miss much. You will also have late departures on many days leaving little to see outside.

Kaua'i, on the other hand, has the Na Pali coast - which you may remember from Jurassic Park - on the northern side. The Nawilwili port is on the southern side. The ships take the eastern side of the island to visit the coast from Nawilwili.

If the ship floats in and out the port and not cruise the Na Pali coast, it again won't matter much.

If the ship does decide to cruise the Na Pali coast, the answer will depend on whether it does so before or after docking into Nawilwili. If it does the coast first, it will hug the coastline on its way south into the port. You want to be on the starboard side. If it visits the port first, it will hug the coastline on its way out north, so you want the port side.

NCL's Pride of America does the latter, and the port side is recommended for that itinerary. But, remember, you can still catch it all from the top deck.

Last edited:
I live in Vancouver. April is still pretty cool (if you’ve sailed from Vancouver in September it’s much warmer then). It will definitely be chilly up on deck at least the first day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter