Having second thoughts…

KeithSS

Mouseketeer
Last week I purchased 2 50 point contracts direct, Riviera and AKL. I’m still within my 10 day cancellation period and I’m having some second thoughts. I’m perfectly fine with buying direct, with everything that come as along with that, and with my Riviera purchase. I am however second guessing my AKL purchase. I’ve always said that once I purchased my own contracts I wanted one of them to be at wilderness lodge because it’s my fav resort. But when it came time to buy, I went with AKL because of the point chart, the price per point, and the variety of rooms. Plus it was quite a bit cheaper than CCV. Also with only having 50 points, we usually will use it for a few nights in a studio each year unless we bank/borrow, and I’ve read what a nightmare getting a studio at CCV is like in our usual travel period late nov/early dec. Lastly I know the studios are one of it not the smallest in DVC unless you get an alternate layout. But ever since I bought it I can’t get out of my head how much I still love Wilderness lodge and if I’m doing the right thing or not. I think that practically, AKL makes the most sense, but emotionally I’m struggling with it lol. I really like BRV better than both CCV and AKL but the 2042 date will bug the hell out of me knowing that AKL was the same price and had 15 extra years on it. Am I overthinking it and I should just stand pat with what I already have, or should I call and change it? Anyone else have these feelings or is it just me and I’m a lunatic lol? Also if I have already made reservations with those AKL points for this Dec, will I lose those reservations by swapping or can they keep them and just transfer them to the points from the new resort internally? Sorry for so many questions, I’m just struggling with the whole thing. I think the overall $$ difference on 50 points, while not insignificant, should not really play too much into it cause yes the PP $$ is higher but the MF are a bit cheaper so it’s not light years difference on 50 points.
Thanks for any and all input, just please don’t tell me to buy resale, I have my reasons as to why I wanted to buy direct 😉

If you are already 2nd guessing, that's a sign to canx the AKV. Are you prepared to commit at 11 months every year without changes? If so, then possibly consider CCV. Also, think about how close a 2nd choice AKV is. Like pretty close, or you'd be disappointed staying there. Everyone is different. DH likes almost all DVCs, but would be disappointed staying at one of them-so we didn't buy there, even as sleep/swap around points, despite lower pricing. Luckily, we all love AKV, so that's where we bought. We are the opposite of you--we actually sold a small VWL (BRV) 10 years ago and rebought a larger AKV b/c we were always booking AKV.
Pretty sure that MS would have to rebook Dec AKV.

Honestly, it’s fairly close I’d say. I do really love the whole atmosphere of wilderness and the boat to MK. I’m not tally in love with the room size and availability issues for studios. For AKL I like the animals and the points charts. I dislike the overall size and walking amount just to get anywhere there and how transportation doesn’t have an exclusive for one park such as skyliner or boat. Plus I sorta feel like for CCV if you don’t own there, you aren’t getting in, where as AKL you can usually find something between either Jambo or Kidani at 7 mo so the home priority window is not that critical there as it would be as other places.

Don't buy where you don't want to stay. I would pay attention to those feelings. It's too easy to get swept up into a DVC purchase. Get the one you really want. Personally, I would have went with all the points at the same resort for maximum benefit. Maybe, you scrap them both and buy 75 at CCV for the blue card with plans to do resale later on to pick up more points cheaply.

I just cancelled a resale contract after the10 days (last month) and lost my deposit - THAT was painful. I was buying at SSR when I really wanted OKW extended and a big 520 point contract came along. I couldn't afford both of them. OKW is my preferred Home Resort for nearly 30 years so you can see how easy it can be to get carried away. What was I thinking??

If you are struggling with this, CANCEL IT. Dvc is not going anywhere. Take your time. Make sure this is the correct purchase for YOU and your family.

If you’re that worried about the charts and a few hundred bucks a year difference, I’m not sure why you’re buying direct at all.

I almost put an offer on a resale CCV about a month ago, because the deal was so good. There’s a lot of CCV on the market right now, and there have been some good looking contracts.

If you wan BR, buy BR! Just buy it and run out the clock. Maybe it’s worth a few hundred bucks a year to get what you really want.

If you are struggling with this, CANCEL IT. Dvc is not going anywhere. Take your time. Make sure this is the correct purchase for YOU and your family.

If you wan BR, buy BR! Just buy it and run out the clock. Maybe it’s worth a few hundred bucks a year to get what you really want.

I agree!

Lone voice in the woods: Keep it as is
We own CCV and the studios are both small and hard to get.
If you want it, buy enough points for the 1BR.
AKV is awesome. If I were to add on, it'd probably be there... or poly... or Riv...

I would listen to my heart and cancel the AKV contract. Then take the time to really think it over. You can still buy AKV later if you make a firm decision that AKV is where you want to own.

@KeithSS - This is really important! DVC is mostly an emotional purchase. That savings you get buying AKV will soon be forgotten if you can't stay where you want to be. Don't "settle"! Ask the guide to arrange to move your December reservation as part of the purchase. He/She may be willing to do that rather than live with a cancellation. Good luck!

I would listen to your gut and cancel. It sounds like you've liked Wilderness Lodge for a while, that isn't going to change on day 11 after signing. The law is set up to help ensure you are at peace with the transaction. When you pay a premium going direct, you should come away satisfied with a deal structure that is customized for exactly what you like (resort, optimal UY for you, obtaining a desired fixed week, and/or breaking down your point allotment into smaller contracts should you ever need to sell). Even if its a relatively small contract, it's still a lot of $$$ that you're committing. Give yourself time to breathe, strategize, and come up with a long term vision of how you want you DVC portfolio to look. You will be happier for it. Unlike a resale contract that posted today and gone tomorrow in this hot market, direct isn't going anywhere (December reservation not withstanding, but there are ways to address that too). Best of luck with whatever path you choose!

Last edited:
If you have any doubts at all, rescind and think about it. You can always get this deal (or one very much like it) later. But, once you are past your rescind period, things get a lot more difficult if you change your mind.

Buy where you want. I'm a new DVC member as of October, 2020. I have since bought 4 contracts: 3 at OKW (one direct so I can use at Riviera and have already) and 1 at AKV which was my dream. I used my OKW last March for Riveria, BLT, and VGF. I fell in LOVE with BLT. That led me to my last contract; 100 BLT. I would never have thought that would have been a fav of mine since I am not impressed at all with the outside. The accommodations, though, were perfect as was the service and cleanliness. The 2 minute walk to MK was unreal! I hope to pass ROFR, and then I'll havE 3 where I want to be. I'm content and have no second guesses. Don't buy AKV if you are not certain, IMO.

I would call and change your AKV to CCV. CCV studios are possible but has to be right in the 11 month booking window for those weeks between thanksgiving and christmas. Add on at BRV resale.

One benefit with having RIV and CCV is going to be that you can book your RIV trip around the nights you can secure CCV studio rooms. So if you go CCV you have a little more flexibility.

I would at minimum switch to CCV.

EDIT:
I redid my post since I read that you didn't want to buy resale. I personally just think that buying BRV resale is likely your best option honestly. Also with it being resale you could always turn around and sell the contract in a few years time plus get a discount on your direct points before selling it since you will be an existing member.

Also you are not getting a Blue Card with your current purchase and I suspect the min blue card purchase will be at 150 in September. So the only benefit will be getting access to Riviera and lets be honestly your potential to get access to Disneyland Tower will be slim to none likely.

Last edited:
Hmmm, well I also think you should buy where you want to stay, but those studios at CC... you might be in for some disappointment there too. Just know you'll have to be really on top of booking them, and you'll have way better luck at certain times than others. But you'll at least have the option to get in. And you could always stay at BRV at 7 mo.

....Plus I sorta feel like for CCV if you don’t own there, you aren’t getting in, where as AKL you can usually find something between either Jambo or Kidani at 7 mo so the home priority window is not that critical there as it would be as other places.

This alone is the reason to switch from AKL to CCV - assuming you want to stick with the direct purchase. Purchasing CCV gives you an opportunity to stay at either, while AKL pretty much rules out CCV.

The other suggestion of cancelling AKL and looking for a BRV resale makes sense to me too - assuming a blue card and timing are not a priority.
I do not weigh the 2042+ years as heavily as others here seem to. If I'm getting to stay where I want at a lower cost than rentals/rack rate for the next 10 years, I'm satisfied I'll get a positive ROI on the purchase.

I am joining in with most of the chorus and saying don't buy something if you are already having doubts. You will always be playing the "what if" game. Good Luck!

You didn't explain why you choose 50 points at two resorts. My thought would be to do both 50 points at Riviera. We own 125 there, and I wouldn't want to only have 50 points. Owning the full 100 in one place would allow you the flexibility to book a longer stay. On weekends, the RIV Studio Preferred rooms are over 25 points, so you won't be able to book more than 1 night, with only a 50 point contract--and than that's not much of a 11 month advantage is it?

That being said, this year we have a 4 day trip booked at CC over Labor Day. It is possible even if you don't own there!

I love these boards. Ask for opinions and you get plenty.🤪
I own at CCV and really enjoy AKL, and others. But by owning at CCV I have always been able to stay there, 11-9 months out, if I want to stay there. And when I don’t want to stay there and want AKL at 7 months it is there unless you want value. Your money goes further at AKL and OKW but sounds like you prefer the non-value resorts, CCV and RIV. 🤩

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter