having a heart attack

kelmac284

Lover of all things Disney since 1975
We are supposed to leave in less than 2 weeks and I don't know what is up. My husband is supposed to start a job out of town and we may not find out until literally the day before we are supposed to leave. Then my mom is supposed to go with us but she too wants to come home early. We were supposed to drive down there and we live in Northern CA and I told her that if she flew home early I didn't want to have to drive 8 plus hours home with 3 kids by myself. So I am getting an ulcer worrying about what is going to happen. IF dh can't go then she wants us all to come home early which this is our last trip for a year and that would mean we would only get 1 day at each park which I am totally bummed about. But if he goes then it won't matter but like I said we won't know till maybe the day before.

She thought about getting us all plane tickets so we could stay longer but I just looked on Southwest last night and the only flight we could get coming back on that Friday is at 11 in the morning so now no matter what we would miss Friday. AHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I am so stressed. This is really ruining my trip. We are leaving in less that 2 weeks and I should be excited but I am just a ball of nerves because I don't know what is going on.

Take a deep breath and relax. I can understand not wanting to drive the 8 hours by yourself with 3 children, but really, if it gives you all the time you want in the park, couldn't you do it? I guess it kind of depends on the ages of your children, but I find that if I put some of their favorite DVD's on, that keeps their attention for quite a long while.

That's tough! Is there any way you could break your 8 hour drive in half? Either by stopping at a friend / relative's house or getting a hotel room along the way? That way mom can go ahead and leave whenever she wants and if DH has to leave early, you and the kids still get a little more park time. Even better about this..............you, DH, and the kids can all drive down together, and ship mom on the plane!!! :rotfl2: Just a thought, I really hope you can work something out!!! Good luck!!

Thanks guys. I think the worst part is the not knowing till the last minute. Dh's job laid him off last week and this week and so when this out of town job starts up we can't pass it up. He is in construction so that is the name of the game. His company doesn't know for sure when the job is going to start and we NEED him to do this job so if they say it starts the week we are supposed to go on vacation of course work comes first. And my mom says she can't afford to be gone the whole week either cuz of HER work so she wants to leave 3 days earlier than planned as well. We were supposed to drive home on Saturday.

I COULD drive home with the kids but our car is older and it makes me nervous esp in winter time driving over the pass etc. I also can't see at night to drive so that is why I am afraid to drive alone and the kids are younger so I wouldn't have anyone older and responsible to help me out if anything should happen.

The other thing is the plane tickets since we would have to buy them with less than 2 weeks notice would be REALLY expensive and I don't know if mom wants to pay that much. SOOO it is a dilemma.

I just wish DH could find out for sure about the job without us having to wait till the last minute. That would solve all our problems. Then it wouldn't matter when my mom came home. She is going to fly home early either way.

I know it will all work out I just hate to have to come home early but I guess if that is what has to happen so be it. I would rather do that then drive home by myself. I just don't feel safe doing it alone.

Thanks for listening. I knew you guys would understand. :)

Hopefully everything will work out for you in the end ! Even if you have to leae early how many days will you be there ?

We were supposed to drive home on Saturday.

I COULD drive home with the kids but our car is older and it makes me nervous esp in winter time driving over the pass etc. I also can't see at night to drive so that is why I am afraid to drive alone and the kids are younger so I wouldn't have anyone older and responsible to help me out if anything should happen.

I totally understand about the driving part. My daughters have a gymnastics meet that is a 9 hour drive away. Originally dh was going with us but now he is working in California and won't be able to make it. I was worried about driving our huge van that is 10 years old all the way and hubby suggested I rent a car. It will be cheaper on gas than the van and cheaper than an airplane ticket for the 3 of us.

Maybe your mom would spring for a rental car and then the drive wouldn't be quite as daunting. If you left early in the morning on Saturday, maybe you could get home before it gets dark.

Either way, I totally understand about the "not knowing how things are going to work out" stress. I hope your dh finds out sooner rather than later.

Hi Kelly, for some reason I was thinking you are in Sac...or is that PrincessKel? LOL

I've done the drive with my 2 girls, it's 6 hours for us. It really wasn't that bad. We had movies for the kids to watch and we stopped when we felt like we needed to. We had snacks together, we play 20 questions, we had a good time. I understand about the car being older, maybe it would be best to rent a car or van for this trip? You can probably find something with unlimited miles for pretty cheap on Priceline.

Thanks everyone for responding. You guys always make me feel better. We are leaving Saturday the 16th and driving to San Diego to visit with relatives and go to the zoo and Seaworld. Then we are to drive up Monday night after Seaworld to Anaheim. So we were to go to DCA on Tues and Disneyland on Wed. My mom then wanted to leave on Thurs. Or if we flew we would have to leave Fri a.m. Either way we would only get 1 day at each park or maybe 1 day at DCA and 2 days at DL. Our original plan was to stay through Friday and drive home Saturday the 23rd. The kids have the entire week off school and I know it is going to be busy since it is President's week.

I just wanted to spend as much time there as we could since we are not able to renew our passes when they expire in June and we don't plan on going back till at LEAST Feb of 09. But again as I said this is just the luck of the draw. Hopefully dh will find out something sooner rather than later. Like you guys said it is the not knowing that is making it so frustrating.

He filed for unemployment today too and they said his paperwork was going to arrive on the 16th of all days. GREAT. So now he won't get it till we get back and I don't know if that will mess up his claim either. UGH! LOL

Check Alaska's flights. They leave MUCH later than SW does. I'm a SW loyalist, but on my solo trip I took Alaska back home b/c of their later flights.

But if you're thinking of spending money on airfare and shuttles and such, why not look into a newer rental car and a hotel room for the drive home?

Or maybe you could look into the train? Might be even more money, but it might also ease your worries.

Check Alaska's flights. They leave MUCH later than SW does. I'm a SW loyalist, but on my solo trip I took Alaska back home b/c of their later flights.

But if you're thinking of spending money on airfare and shuttles and such, why not look into a newer rental car and a hotel room for the drive home?

Or maybe you could look into the train? Might be even more money, but it might also ease your worries.
Great ideas here! :thumbsup2

If it were me, I'd also stay as long as I could. If it means a long drive back (early or not), I'd just stay the extra day. Make sure your cell phone is fully charged, and maybe use an alternate mode of transportation as Bumber suggests!

And if it's any consolation, you've made me feel better about my trip (this Thursday!) alone with DS3! He's a bit of a handful, and a real Houdini, so I am a bit nervous. But we're gonna have a blast! :yay:

Thanks to everyone who responded!! Well for now it seems the questions is solved somewhat. My mom bit the bullet and we bought plane tickets. They were a tad expensive but it was worth it to her to get home so she could get back to work. So we are all flying down early Saturday morning to Orange county and then will rent a car and drive to San Diego. It was actually cheaper to fly into SNA and drive to San Diego then to fly straight to San Diego and get the car cuz of the rental drop fees and the two one way tickets etc. Anyway then we will drive back to Anaheim Monday night and return the car on Tues A.M. and then mom will fly home early Thurs (taking a shuttle to John Wayne). Then either all 5 of us or just the kids and I will stay behind. And then whomever is left of us will fly home Saturday afternoon. They only had the early morning flights left on Friday and our hotel was paid through Saturday so we opted to stay till then. Since mom was leaving early anyway I figured even if DH didn't come I can certainly handle getting to the airport with the kids and a couple days alone with them. So that is our plan.

Now hopefully this stupid unemployment thing isn't a problem LOL. We don't know if he has to file it before he gets home (if he goes that is). As of now it looks like he can but we still won't know for sure.

I am relieved though that we are flying because it takes a lot of stress off of me. I can certainly handle the kids at the parks for a few days alone and getting to the airport and on the plane alone versus driving all that way alone! So wish us luck and if anyone is going to be there president's week say hey! :)

That's great news...glad to hear things are working out for you guys.

I'm glad things are working out. For future reference if you fly out of SMF...check Aloha Airlines for flights from Sacramento - Orange County they sometimes beat SWA.

I'm glad things are working out. For future reference if you fly out of SMF...check Aloha Airlines for flights from Sacramento - Orange County they sometimes beat SWA.

I never realized how many people from Sacramento were on these boards until the last few days. Howdy neighbor!

can file for unemployment on line. Most of the time it requires a follow up interview, usually by phone. You should also apply for unemployment the minute you get unemployed. There is a two week waiting period after you apply, in order for benefits to start so better to do it earlier then later. You then receive an affidavit in the mail every two weeks to fill out. If you are working, even only temporarily, you have to report the income but until you have a permanent job you can continue submitting the paperwork.

Seems there a few of "us" on here. I count myself as Sac and Bay Area because we are halfway in the middle of both. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter