• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have you ever stayed at CSR during a convention and been downgraded?

MinnieLovesMickey12

DIS Veteran
I am curious of other's experiences at CSR.

We want to stay there for our next adult's only trip and have noticed there is hardly NO MONTH of the year that doesn't have several conventions going on there.

I am nervous about booking a preferred room then arriving after 5 pm (due to flights) and having them tell us there are no preferred rooms left.

DH wouldn't want to stay there if we weren't going to be in a preferred room and neither would I to be honest.

I have read a few ppl's experiences about arriving and being asked to downgrade because the preferred rooms were full.

If this were to happen, what are the options? DO you have to take a downgraded room or can you request to be upgraded or moved to another resort if they can't honor the preferred room they let you book and pay for?

I am just curious if this has happened to anyone else.

If I booked (and paid for) a preferred room - I would not be happy to be downgraded. I would think if anything, they would upgrade you to a different resort. If it happened to me, that is what I would ask for...

The preferred rooms are in Casitas where the conventions are held. If it were me, I'd request Cabanas 8A or 8B. Close to the pool and hot tub and a short walk to El Centro.
I've never had anything but excellent service at CSR. I doubt they'd downgrade you. We've also never had any problems with those attending conventions. I suggested Cabanas because these rooms are located away from the conventioneers, just in case.

They may be able to move you to another moderate preferred if you didn't want to stay at CSR. I doubt they would move you to a deluxe because a preferred room isn't available. What usually happens is that people take the downgraded room and get a refund of the difference between preferred and whatever category they are downgraded to.

I'm not sure if CSR has any categories higher than preferred but they may also give you one of those rooms. I know at POR the river view rooms are more than preferred. CSR also has some suites available that may be in option if they were in a jam.

Frankly, I wouldn't be too concerned about. I used to work in a hotel attached to a convention center (not in FL) and we would try to keep all the conventioneers together so they didn't affect other guests. I can't see them giving all preferred rooms to conventioneers, after allowing preferred rooms to be booked by non-convention guests. I've also heard that it's actually a good thing if conventions are going on while you're at CSR because the buses are less crowded and I would assume the pools would be less crowded during the day.

Slightly off topic but does anyone like the ranchos section?

There is a Ranchos building that is right behind the Cabanas and is pretty close to the pool and bus. Some of the further buildings I would not be happy with since they are a longer walk to the main building.

The Cabana section was pefect for us, but we went in August and being close to the pool was our #1 priority.

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question, but I was wondering how you know what conventions are being held during the year? I've been trying to find some kind of a calendar to see if there will be one at the Yacht Club while I'm there, but I can't come up with anything.

Thank you!

Thanks for that link! That's a very informative page.

Unfortunately it's just for Coronado Springs, though. Do you happen to know of a site that lists the Yacht Club conventions as well?

When I do a Google search I'll come up with individual companies holding conventions there, but nothing all in one place.

They may be able to move you to another moderate preferred if you didn't want to stay at CSR. I doubt they would move you to a deluxe because a preferred room isn't available. What usually happens is that people take the downgraded room and get a refund of the difference between preferred and whatever category they are downgraded to.

I'm not sure if CSR has any categories higher than preferred but they may also give you one of those rooms. I know at POR the river view rooms are more than preferred. CSR also has some suites available that may be in option if they were in a jam.

Frankly, I wouldn't be too concerned about. I used to work in a hotel attached to a convention center (not in FL) and we would try to keep all the conventioneers together so they didn't affect other guests. I can't see them giving all preferred rooms to conventioneers, after allowing preferred rooms to be booked by non-convention guests. I've also heard that it's actually a good thing if conventions are going on while you're at CSR because the buses are less crowded and I would assume the pools would be less crowded during the day.

I wouldn't expect to be upgraded to a deluxe resort but to an upgraded room there at CSR. Possibly a junior suite. I think that is the next higher room above a preferred. Still not sure they would even do that.

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question, but I was wondering how you know what conventions are being held during the year? I've been trying to find some kind of a calendar to see if there will be one at the Yacht Club while I'm there, but I can't come up with anything.

Thank you!

I have only found the info that lists the conventions at CSR not resort/Disney wide. And all the 2013 conventions aren't listed right now so I have just gone by what they had THIS year during November to base what they may possibly have next year during November.

sjw4870 said:
If I booked (and paid for) a preferred room - I would not be happy to be downgraded. I would think if anything, they would upgrade you to a different resort. If it happened to me, that is what I would ask for...

If you read the fine print, all Disney owes you is a room somewhere on-site.

Several years back, I had to go a week later to satisfy friends and wound up at my beloved POR in the middle of Pop Warner week. My waterview room that had been booked almost a year in advance went to a Pop family and I was told we had been moved to CSR.

I refused to go and they said it was CSR or nothing. I again reiterated my disgust at being moved at the last minute (our luggage was already intercepted and headed to CSR). Finally, I said I would go, but expected to be upgraded to deluxe. By that time, the manager was involved and told me then I would find myself headed home.

Finally they found us a room at POR, which turned out to be a parking lot view room and had our luggage moved back to POR. When I marched back up to get a credit for my waterview room, I was again met with resistance and told I would have had a waterview room at CSR had I gone where I was supposed to, and was not owed a refund.

After I returned, I wrote to Disney and got a huge apology and a refund for one full night. Now I tell friends, it is either my week or you do not go with me.

If you read the fine print, all Disney owes you is a room somewhere on-site.

Several years back, I had to go a week later to satisfy friends and wound up at my beloved POR in the middle of Pop Warner week. My waterview room that had been booked almost a year in advance went to a Pop family and I was told we had been moved to CSR.

I refused to go and they said it was CSR or nothing. I again reiterated my disgust at being moved at the last minute (our luggage was already intercepted and headed to CSR). Finally, I said I would go, but expected to be upgraded to deluxe. By that time, the manager was involved and told me then I would find myself headed home.

Finally they found us a room at POR, which turned out to be a parking lot view room and had our luggage moved back to POR. When I marched back up to get a credit for my waterview room, I was again met with resistance and told I would have had a waterview room at CSR had I gone where I was supposed to, and was not owed a refund.

After I returned, I wrote to Disney and got a huge apology and a refund for one full night. Now I tell friends, it is either my week or you do not go with me.

That would have upset me too. But I wouldn't have minded being transferred to another mod as long as they were able to give me a preferred room. I actually don't want to have to be moved. If I wanted to stay in a different mod I would book that mod to begin with but to me, being in a preferred room is most important.

I know they do overbook the preferred rooms at CSR because I have read ppl's first hand experiences with this happening and them trying to downgrade them.

Most of the ppl accept the downgrade because they didn't want the preferred room to begin with because it was more expensive but had to book that category to get the bounceback or discount offer. SO they accepted the downgraded room and got a refund for the room price difference in what they paid for and what they ended up getting.

Again, I would not be happy with that. If I wanted a standard room I would have booked a standard room. Giving me back the money difference isn't doing me any favor. That should absolutely happen. Nobody should pay for a room other than what they get.

But being close to the food court is very important to us no matter where we stay.

I definitely wouldn't expect to be upgraded to a deluxe resort but I would not want to be downgraded from a preferred room.

We once stayed at Ranchos 7B and loved it! It was close to the Dig Site and bus stop #4.

Another huge fan of Ranchos 7B. The last time we stayed at CSR we had Ranchos 7B with a water view. Close to the dig site but right outside a quiet pool which was perfect for a late night swim.

To the OP we were never moved but one year we couldn't book at CSR because of a convention. We decided to upgrade to the Poly ending a 3 year run at CSR and starting 6 consecutive stays at the Poly.

YES, this happened to me. I booked a waterview room and was downgraded to a standard. A manager came out and explained the resort was overbooked and if I was not happy with my room they would move me to another resort (unspecified). My new room was overlooking the lion fountains, which I love, so I kept it. The price difference was credited back to me. I have since learned that some hotels consider fountains to be "waterviews."

We've stayed at CSR several times and always enjoyed it. I think we booked whatever the basic/standard room was and were happy with that. I could understand the frustration if a particular view or location was important to you. :earsboy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter