• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have you ever had VISITORS?

colleen costello

<font color=FF99FF>Is in a "just back from OKW and
There is a long thread running right now about a roach-infested Studio at BCV and the unnaceptable way the situation was handled by management. Now some posters are asking "Should I buy DVC?" and "What would our rights be if we had a bug problem in a DVC room?" So... I have been fretting over this bug issue (irrational phobia showing here) and wondered...Have you ever had a roach problem in a DVC room? If so, did you report it? How was the situation handled? I am hoping we will all see that KeishaShadow's buggy room really WAS a fluke!

I'll go first. I have had DVC since 2002 and have never seen so much as an ant. While the housekeeping has not always been great upon check-in, I have never seen a bug (thank goodness). Anyone else? :eek:

I more than 20 DVC stays we have only had little uninvited "guests" once. NOT any bugs, but a little green tree frog found his way into our front hall closet at OKW one trip. Couldn't coax him out, but we didn't see him again, so he is either still living there or.... :lmao:

I have only stayed at SSR so far but also many other resorts at WDW and DL.

With the exception of a spider here or small bug there I have never seen anything I would concider a problem.

I know someone that returned from MCO to a suitcase full of roaches (15 to 20 )that were not there when we packed it in the hotel room.

We also had a family of Anoles living in out airconditioner vents at CBR.

These things can happen but they would find me another romm right away or at least bomb it.

We've been to WDW three times, once in VWL/SSR and twice at the Ft Wilderness Cabins - the only visitors we have had were at Ft Wilderness, those little lizards. I'm not sure what they are called, I don't know much about lizards, LOL. They were cute though, my son really liked them. We found a few in the living room of the cabin one day, I assume housekeeping left the door open while they were in. We have only ever gone in February or January though, I'm sure time of year has a lot to do with "wildlife" at WDW. If I found a roach, I would definitely not accept it, understand it - yes, but I could not sleep with visitors. :scared1:

I have rarely ever noticed a bug outside at WDW let alone in my DVC room. I don't know how they do it (and maybe it's best that I don't know).

But I did see a really cool snake once! :eek: (calm down, not in the room)

HBC

In 50+ visits, I have never experienced in-room bug problems. Love Bug season is another story, however. It is almost impossible to keep those critters out of the room; particularly at resorts with open air hallways.

It's Florida. It's the South. You get bugs in the South because the weather doesn't get cold enough to kill the bugs off each year. They don't hibernate, they just live under the bark mulch in the flower beds. They fly, they walk, they crawl. They hitchhike from one area to another.

We live in Louisiana. We have the big old water bugs every once in a while, especially if we have a wet summer.

When we lived in Montana, once our cats were playing with a piece of string. Well, I thought it was a piece of string. It was a snake. And these were inside cats. How a snake got in my house, I'll never know. I just know I never went down in the basement again.

When we lived in Texas, we had a couple of copperheads sunning themselves on the sidewalk by my back door. The neighbor brought over his hoe and took care of them for me.

That doesn't beat what DD's cat left her for our return from Disney on Tuesday night.
Halloween of all times .

A mouse with it's head about 1 ft away from it.

So a few bugs are no real big deal. It's a house cat so we know where she got it ffrom.

On more than 20 visits to OKW we've had visitors twice.

First time was a lizard (we always stay on first floor) which DH removed by throwing a damp cloth on it first (CM suggestion) and the other time was a thin black snake about 12 inches long. My friend saw this, not me, and decided not to disturb me by telling me about it until the next morning :scared1:

I lost NO time reporting it and maintenance were brilliant - came round very quickly and moved fridge, checked underneath everything. They told us the name for the snake (I've forgotten) but confirmed it was harmless :rolleyes:

It's not put me off though. It's Florida after all so no surprises - they were there first :)

dianeschlicht said:
I more than 20 DVC stays we have only had little uninvited "guests" once. NOT any bugs, but a little green tree frog found his way into our front hall closet at OKW one trip. Couldn't coax him out, but we didn't see him again, so he is either still living there or.... :lmao:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

In October I had love bugs and a lizard in the room--I was hoping that the lizard was there to eat those pesky love bugs. Other than that, I have never had any wildlife in our room in over 75 visits to WDW. I did see a big cat--a cougar, or mountain lion, or something, about 35 pounds or so, sunning itself outside one of the buildings at OKW in the 11-14 area one time. And, of course, I have seen alligators sunning themselves, but that's it. I have seen a "cattle drive" of palmetto bugs over at Hilton--they were spraying, and it sure was an eye-opener! I don't think Michigan has that many bugs in the whole state! :scared1:

Roaches were on my mind as we checked out our guest rooms in October, but no, there were none. I also would fear the reaction that our Disboard friends received more than the the problem of the bugs.

I've seen bugs, cameleon type creatures and snakes around the villas, and I understand some will get in, that I can deal with, (assuming of course help and concern from the management) but we've never had to.

Bobbi :goodvibes

DD and I had just checked into our BWV room last December and noticed this long-legged, skinny, spider-looking thing flying around the ceiling. After emitting several high pitched screams we managed to call housekeeping who immediately sent a nice man to capture it. He remained calm while we waited out in the hallway!
I forget what he called the thing but said it was harmless.

Yes we have had bugs. Only once did we call about them and that was due it to be a large wasp nest on our patio. They came within 10 minutes and took care of it.

As to roaches we have had a few and we simply took care of the situation ourselves. It was never an infestation. Patio doors, luggage etc. is an easy way for them to get in.

I don't want to step on anyone's toes and before anyone steps on those of us that don't panic over bugs in the South, we don't like living with them, but we also don't over react to something we see on a daily basis.

An infestation to some is more than 2 bugs, to us it's much more than that, lots of bugs in many rooms, in the halls, and after you dispose of them within hours they are back. That is an infestation.

If I saw many bugs I would call and expect them to take care of it. I would not expect to be moved.

With any guest request I would expect Disney to respond, I would not expect them to think bugs is a big deal in Florida.

Sammie said:
..An infestation to some is more than 2 bugs, to us it's much more than that, lots of bugs in many rooms, in the halls, and after you dispose of them within hours they are back. That is an infestation.

If I saw many bugs I would call and expect them to take care of it. I would not expect to be moved...

You said it, Sammie. When there are so many bugs that you can't walk in the room without stepping on them or having them fly into you, that's an infestation. A couple of bugs is hardly an infestation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter