Have you ever had to drink "oral contrast" for a CT Scan??

SeaSpray

Disney World fan since 1976
If you have, can you tell me whether it was gross to drink, if it made you nauseous, or if it was no big deal??

I have to go for a CT scan in a week and a half, and I have to drink oral contrast 3 hours beforehand; I'd like to go into work before the test, but because of the 3 hour timeframe, I'd have to drink the oral contrast there, and I'm wondering whether there would be any ill effects (like nauseau or anything like that) from it??

If you've had to drink this before, what would you do? Bring the oral contrast to work and drink it there, or just take the day off??

Thanks!

I got apple flavored.IT wasn't terrible but make sure it is COLD. easier to get down that way.
I had no stomach upset or anything else until after the CT was done.

Hope your CT turns out neg!

I agree-Make sure you get it very cold

And make sure you do whatever they tell you to in order to expel it after the test.

Good luck--Hope everything goes well:hug:

I had it once before a CT. It wasn't on the prescription so I didn't get it too much ahead of time but it was pretty gross. I was ok through the scan but a little while after it....oh boy!! let's just say I needed a bathroom and I needed one quick!! Good luck-hope the test results are good.

Thanks for the replies so far! I remember having the blood glucose test (many years ago) when I was pregnant with DSs and having to drink that thick syrupy-sweet orange stuff. I kept it in the fridge until I had to drink it, and having it cold like that definitely helped, so I'll do the same with this stuff.

Ok...now I'm scared...what do you mean "do whatever they tell you to in order to expel it after the test"??? :eek:

I have another appt later that same day, is this something that could interfere with that??

Thanks in advance!

I've never taken it, but, as a nurse in a hospital, see it a lot.

A lot depends on what's being scanned, because there are different contrasts for different scans.

The scans for head, bones, chest, etc are clear and not chalky. The techs always bring it up in 2 glasses and fill each glass with ginger ale. That's supposed to make it much more palatable, but, like I said, I've never taken it. My patients tell me "It's not too bad".

The chalky and need to expel it contrasts are usually used for GI scans. That one is not diluted in anything. Hold your nose and swallow it down.

The contrast should not interfere with another appointment unless it's another test that requires more contrast. If you had a GI scan, though, like another poster said, you might need to go to the bathroom, first.

Don't be scared--You just want it all to come out. Sometimes the Dr will give you some ideas to help that along. Most times nothing is needed--it comes out very quickly all by itself.

First time I took it I was in the bathroom before they could do the scan. This time they gave me OJ as an alternative. Lot of OJ to drink, but at least it stayed in. Good luck with your scan.

Thanks again for the replies :)

poohlvr: I'll be having an abdominal/pelvic scan. Hopefully it won't be too gross, and I think I should be able to drink it at work that morning.

I am a rad tech, and I wanted to chime in. It is not that bad, you should drink it slowly..not just guzzle it down. It is basically like chalky "nothing" unless it has flavoring added to it. Most people I have talked to say the plain is better that the banana flavored. I know most people like the taste better if it is cold, and that is fine, but remember.. if it is cold you will more likely have abdominal cramping afterwards. And it can get pretty bad. so you decide which is the worst, bad taste, or bad cramping. You MAY have cramping afterward even if you drink it room temp, but it will be more likely and more severe if you drink it cold. The barium is an important part of the test. Many patients won't drink it, or will only drink part of it. But, there is much more of a chance of the radiologist missing something, or just misdiagnosing if you don't drink it all, and according to directions. You should be fine drinking it at work, I had it once and did patient's exams between drinks. And I thought it was a lot easier to drink with a straw than to drink from the cup or bottle directly. I put the straw at the back of my mouth, so I tasted it less!! Good luck with your test... it's really not a big deal, very easy. A lot of other tests are much more invasive. And I don't know what they have told you, but most patients also get IV contrast as well as oral contrast, so plan on getting a small needle stick while there. Not ALL patients get this, but MOST do.

I have to have periodic CT scan as a cancer survivor. I have a major issue with texture and can't drink the chalky stuff. I get something else. I just say I need the thin stuff, they put it in apple juice. I also have to have the contrast IV. I alway drink it at the radiology department.

Kim

I had a contrast CT a couple weeks ago. I had to go the day before, and drink one drink 12 hours before, and then another one I think an hour before. I got the vanilla flavor, and kept it refigerated, and it wasn't too bad. And I was nauseous to begin with, which was part of the reason I was getting the CT scan, but it didn't make it any worse. I had a problem opening the drink though, for some reason, mine needed the strength of the Hulk to open. I wound up getting a sharp knife to poke through the plastic thing, and then poured it into a cup.

When I got there, I had to drink some other sort of contrast, it was thinner, and clear. Tasted absolutely gross. That I couldn't get down, it made me feel so sick. But the barium contrast wasn't bad. I was told though to stay away from the fruit punch flavor, the people at the radiology place told me to go with either vanilla or banana.

I really struggle with it usually. My first CT scan, I was very very sick and hadn't even solid food in a few months so anything on my tummy didn't go well. The chalky stuff they had me drink was not a pleasant experience and I struggled a lot to get it down.

My second one, I was healthier so I had an easier time getting it down and staying down.

It's no mojito but it's not so horrid that you won't be able to do what needs to be done. Good luck!

Mine was berry flavor. I picked it up the day before and put it in the fridge. Cold is much better. I also used a straw and put it a little further back so it didn't fill my whole mouth (if that makes sense). It really wasn't that bad. The more you think it is the more it will be.

If you have a reaction to artificial sweeteners, you might want to talk to them about the contrast, it seems that most of them have it in them, especially any of the flavored ones. I react badly to them and I couldn't drink the barium. I got really sick and my lips and mouth were burning. The tech yelled at me and told me he's never heard of anyone being allergic to the barium, but apparently I was... It was so gross! I'll never do that stuff again. I'll just have my insides explode or live with nausea and stomach pain.

Thanks again for all of the replies, everyone. :) If they have vanilla flavor, I'd probably choose that. And thanks for the tip about using a straw.

So the concensus is that I should probably be OK taking the contrast to work with me in the morning and drinking it there, then working another 2 1/2 hours before I leave for the appt??

If you're drinking barium, it won't taste good. I've had it and have had patients that have it. Nobody likes it.

Like another poster said, a lot of people prefer it to be cold. Poured over ice is best because that keeps it cold without mixing it with liquid. When you mix it with liquid it just makes MORE horrible-tasting stuff to drink.

I don't think the flavoring helps much. I, too, have had people who were repeaters say that the plain stuff is better.

It's blucky, but it isn't one of life's most horrible experiences.

Good luck with it...and I hope it all turns out to be nothing.

I think the plain version is the best ... sweetend chalk flavored gook is worse than plain old gook, know what I mean?

I take the day off ... I have Crohns and that stuff invariably upsets my stomach and intestinal tract. No sense in being miserable at work when you can do so in the comfort of your own home. And when people talk about clearing your system after the test is over they mean drink tons of water. After my last test the technicians were very clear ... that stuff will gum up your plumbling if you don't flush your system. So drink drink drink the water when you're finished!

Good luck! :goodvibes

I think the plain version is the best ... sweetend chalk flavored gook is worse than plain old gook, know what I mean?

I take the day off ... I have Crohns and that stuff invariably upsets my stomach and intestinal tract. No sense in being miserable at work when you can do so in the comfort of your own home. And when people talk about clearing your system after the test is over they mean drink tons of water. After my last test the technicians were very clear ... that stuff will gum up your plumbling if you don't flush your system. So drink drink drink the water when you're finished!

Good luck! :goodvibes

I already have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome - but this isn't what the test is for), so I'm wondering if the barium will bring on an attack. Certain things aggravate the condition, and sometimes it flares up even for no apparent reason.

I think I might be better off just taking the day off altogether. I still have vacation time left that I need to use up by July anyway.

Thanks again to everyone for the replies. :)

P.S. Yikes, I don't want to get gummed up! LOL I'll be sure to keep drinking water afterwards! :scared1:

P.P.S. The scan is scheduled for 11:30am; I have a non-medical appointment at 3pm that afternoon; does anyone think I'll have any trouble by the afternoon that would prevent me from being able to attend? It's a fairly important appointment and honestly if it came down to rescheduling one of them, I'd reschedule the scan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter