Have you ever had to Cancel a Vacation?

I have one time. It was one day prior to going to Cozumel for three weeks. My husband ended up in the ICU for a blood clot from ankle to groin.

Yes, we were scheduled to go on a cruise, and one of our children fell ill. Glad we'd paid for insurance. Having our money refunded made an awful situation more palatable.

We did after the Bataclan Attacks.... three days before we were scheduled to leave. We were traveling mostly by train and were concerned that our travel would be affected. The airline, hotels, etc. all allowed cancellation with no penalty.

Once. In 2015, we had to cancel a November WDW trip due to emergency surgery on a fractured hip in October. I actually could have gone, but I didn’t wanna use a cane. We went twice in 2016 to make up for it!

Many times, but we always reschedule. Canceling is disappointing, but then you get the excitement of planning again when you reschedule

Had to cancel when Hurricane Irma blazed up Florida. It arrived the day after we were supposed to.

Yes, a California trip. We were going to spend a couple weeks driving around the state to different points of interest, Disneyland, etc. I had everything researched, mapped out, and booked. Then our petsitter backed out and we couldn’t secure a backup, so I had to undo about a zillion different reservations. Fortunately, everything was refundable so the only thing lost was time. We ended up going to Disney World a couple of months later instead.

Yes. Years ago, I luckily bought travel insurance. My Mom had broken her hip previous to the trip. She had gone into rehab and was scheduled to come home a couple days before the trip, but was still unsteady.

I have now!

Actually we had one years ago where we were planning to drive up the mid atlantic east coast, but a hurricane was scraping the whole coast, so we opted for camping in the mountains instead. But, there were no solid plans made, it was just kind of an on the fly trip, so not really a big deal.

Yes, twice I had plans ( back to back years with pto scheduled) for weeks off in November. My dad was not doing well and leaving town wasn't something I was comfortable with. My old job was " use it, or lose it" for time off and I could not reschedule.

Yes, more than once. For me cancelling a vacation means cancelling a hotel reservation. I have only been on one vacation that would have involved needing to cancel air travel.

Last edited:
I never cancelled a full vacation. One time I delayed the start of a trip by a day and once I returned a day earlier than planned.

3 or 4 times I cancelled or postponed a weekend getaway due to illness, weather, of other reasons.

We had to cancel a Disney World vacation and cruise 4 years ago because my wife was diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer. Thank God she has been cancer free since then and has a clean bill of health. We also cancelled our Alaska cruise this June because it looked like my wife was going to lose her job and found another position with the company and was right at the penalty and paid in full time frame. We immediately booked another cruise to the Caribbean this June and now are riding out the hysteria. I do have insurance, but did not purchase for cancel for any reason and like almost all travel insurance polices, it doesn't cover for pandemics. Fortunately the cruise line has responded to this hysteria, but I will be out the airfare and the insurance premium. I'll figure it out in May what I will do if this doesn't calm down.

This past September, my sister was going on a business trip to Montreal. It was the kind where she had to attend a 2-hour meeting and then the rest of the weekend was fun and games. I was going as her plus-1 and her company was footing the bill for both of us. Our dad went into the hospital a few weeks before we were supposed to leave. As it got closer, we decided that she should go because it was her trip, but I should stay home. The day my sister was supposed to leave, she woke up with a bad cold and decided a cross-country flight would be a bad idea. It's a good thing we both stayed home because our dad passed away the next day. One or both of us would have missed being at his side if we had gone on the trip.

Came close to cancelling when H1N1 hit and we were going to Cabo. There was a freak out during that virus but not as bad as this Coronavirus. We still went and had fun.
We did have to change vacation plans when we had our honeymoon cruise booked and the cruise line went bankrupt after 9/11 so we had to rebook someplace else. We were supposed to go to French Polynesia.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter