Have wheelchair accessible taxis become extinct now?

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
My dad will be going for his follow-up exam with his surgeon to have his stitches removed and Mom and I have been having trouble finding a taxi service that deals with wheelchair bound people to take Dad to his doctor appointment and lately it seems that wheelchair accessible taxis have been extinct as dinosaurs now and I would like to know if anyone has any advice on what Mom and I can do? We looked into the city buses but they don't have a wheelchair accessible bus or van at the time and we also looked into getting a taxi for Dad but they cost so much money and the other option we looked into was hiring the patient transfer service to pick Dad up for his appointment but they also charge big money. We also have a nursing home that has a van service but I'm curious if we called the nursing home and asked if they could drive Dad to the doctor's office would they do it for free? As I mentioned Dad has to go on Wednesday and Mom and I need to find a wheelchair taxi service before then because if we can't do it Dad's appointment will have to be postponed until further notice
Are wheelchair accessible taxi and van services becoming rare to find now?
Dodger

Sorry, I’m confused. You start by saying that wheelchair accessible taxis are extinct but then say that they are option but cost money and you/your dad don’t want to have to pay anything. Is the issue that you are a looking for a free wheelchair accessible taxi service?

You might be able to find a charitable group that can help. Where i used to live, the accessible public transit didn’t have a set schedule - you would arrange based on when you needed to travel but it had to be booked in advance and could have limited availability.

I doubt the nursing home would offer you the service for free (especially as your father isn’t a resident and is not traveling either to or from the nursing home).

Is it something your father’s insurance might cover?

Call your city's transit agency. Don't look on their website. They may have special door to door service available for a fee. Look up senior and disabled transportation services.

If someone has to stay in a wheelchair to be transported, that is a special service and yes, they are pricey because it's a medical transport. I've never heard of a wheelchair taxi before.

Thank you for the helpful info Starry Solo. My mom and I looked into our city's transit agency for info on door to door wheelchair service and our city bus transit has a wheelchair van/taxi service but we tried to sign Dad up for it but they never returned our call. So Mom and I may have to look in the phone book for disabled transportation services . We then looked at Uber and they don't do wheelchair accessible taxis either
Thanks again for the advice Starry Solo it was very informative
Dodger

Have you considered calling United Way to ask about senior transport options in your area?

Your father's health insurance company may offer that service. My father uses Humana, which the service is free.

Must he remain in the wheelchair for transportation? Or could he transfer to the regular car seat while someone folds his wheelchair and puts it into the trunk?

I'm surprised the social worker helping with your dad's transition from hospital to rehab to home didn't make sure the family was aware of transportation options. If special services are needed, it may take a bit of time to get him qualified and set-up.

It does seem that accessible taxis are becoming extinct, DH couldn't get one in New Orleans or a few other cities.he can transfer, but has a victory 10.2 that is difficult to lift without assistance or potentially damaging the vehicle's bumper.

Another option could be to simply use the standard bus route, this wouldn't be private transportation, but it could work.

Also, if he can transfer and someone else can load and unload the wheelchair, it could work as well.

Thank you for the helpful info Starry Solo. My mom and I looked into our city's transit agency for info on door to door wheelchair service and our city bus transit has a wheelchair van/taxi service but we tried to sign Dad up for it but they never returned our call. So Mom and I may have to look in the phone book for disabled transportation services . We then looked at Uber and they don't do wheelchair accessible taxis either
Thanks again for the advice Starry Solo it was very informative
Dodger

Do they have an office that you can go to? Since they are not responsive to phone calls, thats what I would do next.

Must he remain in the wheelchair for transportation? Or could he transfer to the regular car seat while someone folds his wheelchair and puts it into the trunk?

I'm surprised the social worker helping with your dad's transition from hospital to rehab to home didn't make sure the family was aware of transportation options. If special services are needed, it may take a bit of time to get him qualified and set-up.

MY question too. Does he need to remain in the wheelchair in the car/transportation? It seems like he should be able to transfer to a seat in the car and then fold the wheelchair for the trunk. But, do not postpone the follow up appointment! They are scheduled to ensure progress in healing is on track. What is he doing rehab wise at this point? He should be getting close to going to an outpatient rehab a couple times a week to work on his mobility/strengthening of the foot.

Dad postponed his doctor's visit this morning so Mom and I have another week to search for a wheelchair taxi service but I have never figured out why wheelchair taxi services have become so expensive these days. Dad called a wheelchair taxi service today and they wanted $75 just to take him to the doctor and to me there should be more inexpensive options for wheelchair bound/disabled people and there has to be wheelchair taxis that are cheaper for wheelchair bound people rather than just paying expensive prices like $75 to take the people places like doctor/dentist appointments and other medical needs. But Dad is doing well and he is exercising and using his wheelchair around the house
Dodger

I'll be honest here, but I am still kind of puzzled why he needs a wheelchair taxi for a foot surgery. Why can you not use your car? Or maybe if it is too high up to get in, rent a car (like a sedan) that might be easier to get into for a few weeks? Once he starts outpatient rehab appointments, it just does not make sense to have to get wheelchair transportation multiple times a week.

I have never figured out why wheelchair taxi services have become so expensive these days.
Well, everything has become "so expensive these days." But specific to transportation for wheelchairs -- the equipment is expensive. It is much more expensive than a regular sedan or minivan or SUV; a special transport vehicle is equipped with tie-downs, probably additional support for those tie-downs, ramps or lifts to get the wheelchair into/out of the vehicle. Plus for the businesses who do such transport, insurance for liability -- damage to highly expensive custom mobility devices, etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong but your dad does not have a customized non-folding wheelchair, does he? I was under the impression he's using a standard folding wheelchair, like the type you can buy at local drug stores or available for use at the doctor's office or hospital. He is capable of transferring to a recliner, so he doesn't REALLY require "accessible" transportation to his doctor appointments (or outpatient PT rehab). He can transfer to the front or backseat of a regular taxi, with the wheelchair folded and put into the trunk. Maybe you or your mom could go with him to manage the chair and help with his transfers, at least the first few times until he's comfortable with it. Unless I've really misunderstood his situation, I'm not sure that looking for wheelchair-accessible transportation is your best option.

Well, everything has become "so expensive these days." But specific to transportation for wheelchairs -- the equipment is expensive. It is much more expensive than a regular sedan or minivan or SUV; a special transport vehicle is equipped with tie-downs, probably additional support for those tie-downs, ramps or lifts to get the wheelchair into/out of the vehicle. Plus for the businesses who do such transport, insurance for liability -- damage to highly expensive custom mobility devices, etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong but your dad does not have a customized non-folding wheelchair, does he? I was under the impression he's using a standard folding wheelchair, like the type you can buy at local drug stores or available for use at the doctor's office or hospital. He is capable of transferring to a recliner, so he doesn't REALLY require "accessible" transportation to his doctor appointments (or outpatient PT rehab). He can transfer to the front or backseat of a regular taxi, with the wheelchair folded and put into the trunk. Maybe you or your mom could go with him to manage the chair and help with his transfers, at least the first few times until he's comfortable with it. Unless I've really misunderstood his situation, I'm not sure that looking for wheelchair-accessible transportation is your best option.

Thank you for conveying what I was trying to ask too.

Did the OP tell us what city and state service is needed? Can he transfer to the vehicle or does he need to stay in the wheelchair?

I'll be honest here, but I am still kind of puzzled why he needs a wheelchair taxi for a foot surgery. Why can you not use your car? Or maybe if it is too high up to get in, rent a car (like a sedan) that might be easier to get into for a few weeks? Once he starts outpatient rehab appointments, it just does not make sense to have to get wheelchair transportation multiple times a week.
Our family vehicle is a Chevrolet Avalanche and we tried to see if Dad could fit in it but it's too small for him to get in and out of and once Dad has recovered we do plan to get a wheelchair accessible van for him to drive easily. But my mom and I are still searching for a wheelchair taxi service but we are gonna look up charities to see what they can do for Dad
Thanks for replying you are so caring
Dodger

wheelchair accessible taxis have been extinct as dinosaurs now and I would like to know if anyone has any advice on what Mom and I can do?
Huh? In my city, there are like six choices, plus the city bus system.

We have no idea where you are or what kind of taxi you should order.

Many people in wheelchairs can transfer and use regular Ubers as well. Smaller, foldable wheelchairs can fit in the trunk, and you don't need a full on accessible vehicle.

Our family vehicle is a Chevrolet Avalanche and we tried to see if Dad could fit in it but it's too small for him to get in and out of

The Chevy Avalanche is a pick-up truck that converts to an SUV, right? you tried to put the wheelchair with dad in it into the back of the SUV? Not gonna work with any standard SUV or minivan.

I agree it would be hard for Dad to climb up into the Chevy Avalanche since as a truck it is higher than a sedan style car. But can he get out of the wheelchair? That's what people are suggesting. Just because he uses a wheelchair to get around does not mean he has to sit in that wheelchair in a vehicle. If he can transfer into a regular sedan, someone can fold the wheelchair and put it into the trunk or backseat. A regular taxi will then suffice for his transportation needs to/from doctor appointments or PT.

Maybe he has more extensive surgery than just "foot surgery." In which case wheelchair accessible transportation may be necessary. But if there is any way he can transfer into a regular vehicle, he'll have a LOT more options. Even with an amputation I would think he can stand on 1 foot (with assistance) and pivot to get into a vehicle. Purchasing a new vehicle will be a LOT LESS expensive than purchasing a wheelchair accessible van.

Good luck!

Purchasing a new vehicle will be a LOT LESS expensive than purchasing a wheelchair accessible van.

Good luck!
Agree with this.
We have a wheelchair accessible van with a fold out ramp because our daughter can’t stand or walk. She also has a power wheelchair that needs a wheelchair accessible vehicle to transport. Just the accessibility features added almost $30,000 to the cost of our van.

If he can transfer out of the wheelchair, there is no need for an accessible van. Most paraplegics just use a regular car and hoist their wheelchair into the car once they have transferred.

This is an unpopular opinion, and it actually got me booted from a Facebook fundraiser (LOL) but you don't have to convert a van. There are used vans that someone converted, and these usually aren't exactly high use vehicles. It isn't that hard to buy one that is a few years old. You need someone in the car biz who knows how to do some searches. I've helped buy two now, and buying the whole vehicle wasn't much more than just the modifications.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter