Hassle about GAC

lisapooh

HH Pin Crazy Pooh Fan
Well I sure got hassled about getting a GAC at MK this trip. Was told that Power wheelchairs are treated as ECVs by the castmember as far as Disney was concerned. I am sending a letter of complaint to Guest services as well as a copy to Eisner.
I see no reason for me to transfer to a manual wheelchair which require the use of an attendent to push it to go through a mainstream line. If I could handle a manual chair by myself I would be using one! I do not take the power wheelchair the ride vehicle but transfer to the ride vehicle with the help of my sticks. So what is their problem?
I am getting pretty tired of being told that I can't ride rides because I can't use a manual wheelchair don't have an attendent of family member with me. I don't want to be babysat all the time. It's my legs and one arm that are bum not my brain and I don't need constant supervison from my family or an attendent. I want to do things by myself and know my abilities.

Sorry you got a run around at the MK. On our trip last month I found CMs at the MK to be very helpful when it came to my going on rides.

Just curious ... how do you get a CM to push you in the manual wheelchair? We've always been told that my husband could push the wheelchair through the que. CMs have never offered.

You don't. And since I can't push one by myself and they try to treat my wheelchair as an ECV I find myself needing to be accompanied by a family member to ride these rides. Since I can transfer independently using my cane and the power whhelchair is not going on the ride why they don't want to accommodate my needs is ridiculous.
All I am asking is to remain in my personal wheelchair through the line, not on the actual ride. Is that too much to ask.

hmmmm... I wonder if it is a liability issue with them, being in possession of a power chair, in case there is damage or an accident and they don't know how to control it?? :confused: Very strange.

They don't cover power wheelchairs at all in the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities. It's sort of like they don't exist. i know there might be some that have a bigger "footprint" than a manual chair or the weight might be too much for some rides, but you would think they would address it.
Are there specific rides where you have a problem consistently (other than Pirates, where I know what the problem is)?

I am so sorry you had such problems Lisapooh, I know when we went in January 2000 I took my powerchair with me and we had no problems taking it through the lines, sometimes I had difficulty turning some corners but that was it. The CM's were all very helpful.

The main ride I have had problems with is Winnie the Pooh. Also have had problems at Living with the Land in EPCOT. No problems in MGM or AK.

Lisapooh,

I'm glad to hear you had no problems at AK, that is the one park we have never done and am I guess you could say most concerned about. I am not taking the powerchair this time so I will be doing the push power routine and was concerned because I read that some of the pathways were kindof uneven.
Have you found any difficulty with the walkways?

Thanks
faeflora

The walkways at AK are very rough and uneven, faeflora. Wear gloves.

The paths at AK are also narrower (or at least they seem that way), and a lot of the areas have one way in an the same way out. It doesn't loop around like the other parks, so it seems more congested. Study your maps carefully.
Other than that, it's a beautiful park with lots to see.

Thanks Teri and Sue,
I just put my gloves in the must pack pile today, so I think I'll be set...

48 days and counting...:bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!