Has anyone given any thought to the "H" word and opening days?

AngiTN

DIS Veteran
H as in Hurricane
I realize that late August is quite early but it's not unheard of for a Hurricane to arrive on it's own calendar.
Two of the worst, Andrew and Katrina? Check out the dates they showed up

Anyway, that is something that has nagged at the back of my mind as I've wondered about the date they choose for the opening here. I know the odds are greatly in their favor as inland Orlando is generally out of the path anyway.

The even slight chance, coupled with the heat, coupled with F&W beginning, coupled with 1 ride not being done made me wonder just why they wanted to get open that date of all dates
Is it crossed anyone else's mind?

Well, many of us book then because the date we need to travel just happens to fall during Hurricane season.
Like that's when a birthday or anniversary happens, or that's when our break from school happens.
Some things are fixed.
And before you ask, no, you aren't forced to travel on your birthday or anniversary but if you've got a kid who wants to go to Disney on their birthday and their birthday is in Hurricane season well, when do you go? During Hurricane season.
But anyway, they'd make their money no matter when they schedule the opening. That can't be the only reason they planned it that date. Something else drew them to do it then, when so much else was already happening.
At least seems like it would be

It had crossed my mind, although I hadn't mentioned anything. Then again, we were at WDW during Mathew in October 2016 and we were leaving WDW right as they were starting to evacuate for Irma in September 2017 (and got stuck in quite the exile traffic), so I'm well aware of the perils of "H" in the Fall.

I think their logic is that bookings must have been softer than projected and they *can* open this ride and most of the land early, so why not? Worst case scenario for them is that they are forced to close for a few days.

If it's any consolation, I heard that it's predicted to be a "lighter than normal" season. We had booked for labor day week prior to the announcement, and yes I had the H word in the back of my mind, matter of fact it was a choice of a cruise or Disney and I chose Disney just in case.

If it's any consolation, I heard that it's predicted to be a "lighter than normal" season. We had booked for labor day week prior to the announcement, and yes I had the H word in the back of my mind, matter of fact it was a choice of a cruise or Disney and I chose Disney just in case.
Granted, they are about as good at predicting Disney crowds as they are at predicting weather, LOL
Sure, right now they may not have the bookings they expect that heck, that may just mean more folks are off-site. They can't tell WHAT off-site folks are doing
Or folks may just be buying tickets later.

Granted, they are about as good at predicting Disney crowds as they are at predicting weather, LOL
Sure, right now they may not have the bookings they expect that heck, that may just mean more folks are off-site. They can't tell WHAT off-site folks are doing
Or folks may just be buying tickets later.

Sorry-my mistake, I heard that the hurricane season was going to be lighter than normal.

I don't think the crowds are going to be light at all. I do think that the folks coming in for SWGE aren't really going to be booking week long Disney vacations though, they will be staying offsite IMHO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter