• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has anyone flown their breakfast foods w/them?

w8ting4pooh

Commando planner
I just found out that AirTran allows three 70 pound suitcases per person. I was only planning to take 1 50 lb suitcase pp. SO....
what is a good idea to pack? I am not going to add 6 more suitcases of food - just thinking about what to bring that travels well.

Thinking about these
Individual oatmeal bowls - 4 y.o. MUST have oatmeal every day. :rolleyes:
Little boxes of cereal and plastic bowls and spoons.
Cereal bars, gummy snacks. Gum. Tastycakes.
Individually wrapped cookie and chip packs.
Pudding cups, fruit gels, peanut butter squeeze packets. I would assume that you cannot transport fruit - such as bananas, apples, oranges?

Will juiceboxes and bottled waters make the flight ok? I'm not planning to bring 70 pounds of water. ;) I just want to bring enough spread out over the suitcases to save a few bucks.

We should only need to buy milk when we get to the Coronado.

On our trip in May I brought many of the items you listed w/o a problem. My only suggestion would be to put food items in ziploc bags just in case they open. I also froze a few juice boxes and put them in an insulated bag with cheese sticks and frozen go-gurts. These were all still partially frozen when we got to WDW. I believe the fruit restrictions only apply if you're coming from another country.

How are you getting from the airport? If you're using a town car, they'll make a 15-30 minute stop on the way to the resort.(amount of time depends on the company) you could use the stop to pick up the things you'll need.

I recall a thread several months ago where some placed their order with Albertson's before leaving home. On the way to the resort they picked everything up with little wait. I believe the items were packed up and waiting for them.

If you do a search on the budget board you may be able to find it.

Check with your airline. A while back they were all encouraging passengers to NOT check food items in their luggage. Apparently it affects the explosive detecting machinery. In the past we always traveled with granola bars, pop tarts, etc. For our trip last week, I packed it in my carry-on bag --- not much fun.

:earsboy::earsboy::earsboy::earsboy::earsboy:
Hello-
I suggest that if you dont want to carry the food/drinks with you on the plane, that you ask your limo or town car driver to stop by the local grocery store (right outside disney) and collect your food there. If you have a mini fridge you can keep juice and milk to cut down on breakfast cost. You can also get lunch meat. IF you do not have a mini fridge, you can pick up a stirophome cooler, and fill it with ice everymorning; works just as good!
Hope i am a help-
Tinkerbell88
:earsboy::earsboy::earsboy::earsboy::earsboy:

We pack quite alot of snack items and check it...never had a problem. We travel with a foldable cooler, zip lock bags, a small amount of silverware (including a paring knife) and sometimes a few small rubbermaid dishes. My husband is a 'grazer' and eats constantly....room service and park foods just don't cut it all the time. We always make a grocery stop as well as bring some favorites from home so he is happy. We usually pack a bottle of our favorite wine and vodka for drinks in our room.

We went one year with a girlfriend and her daughter and she checked an entire suitcase full of food including frozen hot dogs, lunch meat....all kinds of stuff. She was on a strict budget and had couponed and two for oned for her groceries for about 3-6 months. Our resort had a frig and she was pretty much good to go after a stop for bread, milk, etc. Granted this was prior to 911, but she sure saved money and was able to do many extras like Hoop de Do because of it.

I say if it isn't too inconvenient...do it. We always use help to schlepp our bags, so a little more weight isn't a big deal. Just remember that items will expand and contract in cargo, so you want to wrap any item that may freeze and break or splurt! For that reason...we don't pack food with our clothes!

My ds is on a special diet. I have become somewhat an expert on packing food for him.
I bring a whole box of cereal. We all eat it, breakfast & snack. It saves room. I have been bringing a few cereal bars too. Take them out of their boxes & put them in ziplock bags. It may not prevent them from getting slightly squished, but there is always a need for an extra ziplock bag. We use those cheap throw away bowls. You can buy a pack for like $2 for 4 bowls we share, wash reuse & throw away to make room for souveniers.
Fruit snacks, raisins, dried fruit & peanuts are always easy to find room for. Most of the hotels have a microwave somewhere so, bring some microwave popcorn.
Smuckers makes a PB & J snack. Squeeze peanut butter & a box of crackers is just as easy. I use them for cheap lunch or when I have a later PS than when the kids are used to eating.
I've found that juice boxes don't always travel well. I had them in checked luggage in a ziplock bag & the foil on the top broke open & juice was in bag. I usually bring a powder mix, lemonade or iced tea. The juice concentrates in the can work well too. We usually stop for water somewhere, but it's not neccessary. We've drank the tap water & haven't had a problem.
I find that shopping at home I usually save more money. I get things on sale or with a coupon ahead of time. When you are there you have to pay the price on the shelf & you may not get the right brand name, flavor or whatever. You'll have extra room on the way home!
Plasticware don't bother. Go to the food court & steal it!
Hope it helps!

since we rent a car we stop by wal-marts and get what we want when we get to orlando. You can pack a collapeable cooler in your luggage. Or take the cooler as a carrier on. I pack my cooler with sandswiches and drinks to eat while we are on the plane. You can also buy a cooler at wal mart. they are less than 20 dollars. The cooler works great at the hotel too because you can keep your cold items in it with out having to rent a frig. And you can leave them behind with little or no guilt when you check out and head back to the airport. trust me you want to deal with as little luggage as you have to at the airport. Those terminals sure do seem awfully long when you have to drag all of that luggage.
If you buy lots of souviners pack an empty back pack in your suitcase. They can be used as a carry on your return flight.

Last trip, we brought an old hard-sided suitcase full of food and snacks -- even some bottled water and juice boxes. Then, on the way home it was a safer place to transport souveniers.

I got that tip off of this board -- just a long time ago...

If you can't do a grocery stop you could ship yourself a box via UPS of dry goods/snacks. Just make sure it has you name and arrival date on the package:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter