Has anyone ever stayed at a Universal hotel when only visiting Disney Parks?

summerlyangel

Mouseketeer
We're going the second week of Dec and on property rooms are exorbitant, as are nice off-property rooms. We stayed at Homewood Suites Flaming Crossing 2x this year with the family for just over a $100/night bucks each time, but with my current dates of 12/7-12/12, everything is coming in around $200/night. I don't need a big room because DH and I are the only ones going on this trip. In looking around, it looks like I can get a Universal hotel for around $100 per night, or anything around the Universal area much cheaper than the Disney area. Like Doubletree Universal is coming up $90/night during our trip! That's half the price or less of anything decent right around Disney. We'll have our own car and are used to staying offsite driving, but wondering if that is just too far away? Is traffic horrible between the 2 or is it fine?

Thoughts?

I have twice. It's just a half our drive between the two (easy peasy I thought -- google maps says 26 minutes and sometimes traffic might make it a little slower). The one time we stayed at the Sunshine Resort condos that are super close to Universal (These are very nice.). We just did Disney and SeaWorld on this trip. The other time we stayed at the Royal Pacific hotel because DH had a seminar there and his company was paying for four nights accommodations there. On this trip we did do one day at Universal (park to park), one day at a Disney park, and one day at SeaWorld. With the rental car -- no big deal to go to the other parks.

Part of this for us too is that I have a nephew who lives in Orlando and we always on trips visit him at his house too. He lives closer to Universal than Disney or SeaWorld.

For us we are going to be doing a bunch of different things all over Orlando every time we visit, so no big deal to stay near Universal, near SeaWorld, or near Disney. We go down a lot and switch it up a lot.

SeaWorld and the I drive area is a little closer to Disney than Universal is, so you could look at hotels over there too in case there is something nice that's a good deal. That might be a little more convenient. I think those areas are a little better for nearby restaurants than the Universal area too, but you'd be fine in the Universal area.

Over the years we have stayed both at Disney as well as other off-site locations and enjoyed all of them. Disney hotels tend to be WAY more expensive compared to other nearby locations and we didn't find the extra cost to be worth it. Having a car and staying elsewhere also makes it easier to find good/reasonably priced places to eat since there are many of them in the area. Good to have a printed map of Disney roads even if you have GPS in your car. Road signs on the property aren't always the clearest and if you don't drive there often, it is easy to choose the wrong exit ramp.

We have stayed at WDW at least 3 times with a 2 day stay at Uni right in the middle and then back to WDW. We first tried it because we hadn't been to Uni for years. We booked at the RP and it was absolutely beautiful. The TM;s were very helpful - actually everyone we met there went above and beyond to help us. We absolutely fell in love with the HPlands. We spent half our time their. It's so immersive and exactly like the books. We were surprised that we loved it so much.
It was a nice break from disney and a very relaxing non stress filled time.

We now want to just go to Universal only. Disney has become too complicated. We want stress free and being able to do what we want when we want. We even rode MIB 4 times back to back, LOL.

So, for many years the trips between the two weren't a problem. I suggest looking at the Universal sites. They have some great looking resorts with excellent amenities in the $l00 area. Cabana Bay gets great reviews. Whatever you decide will be great.

High rates suggest high bookings which suggest traffic.

I'd keep looking for a closer hotel. I think some hotels will lower their rates.

Or plan on spending most of your time at Universal

I've thought about this too, but when I'm on vacation don't want to have to hop on I-4 every day. It's different for everyone, but I-4 stresses me out, so I'd prefer to stay closer so I don't have to deal with it.

I've thought about this too, but when I'm on vacation don't want to have to hop on I-4 every day. It's different for everyone, but I-4 stresses me out, so I'd prefer to stay closer so I don't have to deal with it.

You don`t have to drive on the I-4.

From any of the Universal hotels, you go on Turkey Lake Road to Palm Parkway.....takes you right there.

We only ever stay at Universal, don`t visit Disney though, but we do drive around and head down to restaurants on the 192 and around other areas too without ever driving the I-4. I agree, the I-4 is very rarely fun to drive on.

You don`t have to drive on the I-4.

From any of the Universal hotels, you go on Turkey Lake Road to Palm Parkway.....takes you right there.

We only ever stay at Universal, don`t visit Disney though, but we do drive around and head down to restaurants on the 192 and around other areas too without ever driving the I-4. I agree, the I-4 is very rarely fun to drive on.

Exactly, this is the LYNX Bus path. Even I-4 isn't bad if it's not rush hour.

It's only 15-20 minutes tops. That is nothing.

We often stay at Universal and then go to Disney. Don't even get on over I-4, take the back road (Turkey Lake, Palm Parkway) to Disney Springs and go from there. I try to run over to Universal as well. These days those parks are more enjoyable to Disney. But it can be done

Thank you all for your input and reassurance! I ended up looking a little closer and got a fabulous rate at a new Aloft hotel on Palm Parkway. Even when paying for parking at the parks, we'll still be saving around 700 over staying at POP for 5 days! We're offsite regulars, but usually stay at condos, not hotels. Getting pretty excited!

Last edited:
It's a 20 to 30 minute drive most times of day. Your most difficult times will be getting out of Disney if you leave the parks right at closing or after fireworks. Definitely doable with your own car.

We have done the opposite, used our DVC and only visited the Universal Parks (while enjoying the Boardwalk, Disney Springs, etc on non theme park days) we did use I-4 each day but I don’t remember it being that bad. Give yourself extra time incase the traffic is heavy in the morning and we would always plan dinner at City Walk so we avoided evening rush traffic.

We stay on idrive all the time, we get decent rates.
I wanted to suggest skyauction.com we now stay in the other end of idrive near SeaWorld... right across the freeway from Disney springs.
We get whole weeks for 3-400

We have done this many times staying at the UO hotels. It is only a 10-15 min drive. Do not stay on Idrive. Check the UO websit if you arena floor res or AP they have great discounts. Hotel with nice suites, cabana bay and endless summer.

Just seconding people who suggested the SeaWorld area. There are actually quite a few resort and timeshare options south of SeaWorld. That part of I-Drive cleans up rather nicely, and it's actually a fairly quiet area. Plus you are near SeaWorld and about half way between Universal and Disney (a little closer to Disney). You are also near some of the outlets and lots of places to shop and eat. It also starts to get more residential to the west of the area so it feels less touristy if that's what you are looking for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter