Has anyone ever rented a van to drive...Insprd by the DIYer's

mbb

<font color=green>Wishin' & Clappin' & always Beli
Because I checked rates, and unless we're willing to pay over $2000.00:earseek:

PLUS mileage!!
PLUS extra for taking it to the US!

It would be WAY cheaper to FLY!!

Anyone have any really big discount ideas??? Or your van that we could borrow?;) I'd bring you back a kewl t-shirt...????:D

:sunny:

Hi, you have to know someone in the business. We paid $40/day unlimited mileage, because we have a friend in rentals in Toronto. This was in Nov 2002, we had it for a total of 17 days. We lease our van, so it made sense for us to rent one then. Check around for prices. Good luck!
Marilynn

My suggestion is to check out every vehicle rental business around. Even check those in nearby areas. We just rented a van for 2 weeks in Jan/Feb. I researched all the dealers within 40 minutes from us and found it ranged from $1000 to $2000 plus milage! I then ventured to Oshawa, a town that was 1 1/4 hours from us, and rented a van at AVIS for under $700, tax included, unlimited milage, liability insurance included, a new model Dodge Caravan (some special edition?), for 2 weeks plus one day:D
For driving an extra 45 minutes or so both ways, we saved a minimum of $1000., so it was definitely worth it.
Now that all being said, your market could be completely different than ours, but check around, and if your willing to drive a bit to pick it up, it may be worth it. I just found there was sooooo much difference in prices from dealership to dealership, it was ridiculous:mad:

hmm must be a different market cause i'm getting a rental for $550 for 10 days with unlimited mileage. that was the cheapest i could get the rest were between 6-700. This was also from an airport dealer.

I have a friend who rented a minivan from Avis to go Florida over Christmas. I'm sure she said the Avis depot was near Yorkdale (Toronto) She was gone 10 days and paid in the $700.00 range with unlimited mileage. It even had a DVD player in it and she said that the kids never complained or even uttered "are we there yet?" DH thought that maybe we should look into it for our next family drive to WDW.

are certainly more heartening...!!

At this rate, it might even be cheaper for us all to fly to TO and rent a van from there...:rolleyes:

Hmmm...might not be such a bad idea...:scratchin

Thanks all!
:sunny:

MaryannF, I'd be interested in more details about renting the van from Avis, if you are talking to your friend.

My friend said that her husband works near the Avis on Dufferin Street in Toronto (near Yorkdale). When they decided to go to Florida at Christmas last year they determined that their vehicle was not reliable enough to drive, especially in winter. Her husband went to Avis to inquire about renting a minivan and found out the periodically Avis runs specials that are flat rate, mileage included. He kept going in to see if there was going to be a special for their dates and finally there was. I guess it just depends when you are going and how long you're willing to wait for a special to come up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter