has anyone ever heard of this--its a church trip

Dznypal

DIS Veteran
My friend is going on a trip with her church to Tanzinia its not a mission or charity trip its just a group from her church going
every time she tells me something about it --it just sounds so bazaar--like she has to bring her own toliet paper and plastic zip lock bags to throw
used toliet paper in

so IM thinking this is more like a guided tour trip
but today she tells me that there having a spaghetti dinner and silent auction as a fundraiser so now this seems like there getting people to come to this
to donate to the people that are going vacation
if it was a charity or mission trip I could see this but anyone that goes to this fundraiser is basically donating so these people can go
not I know no one is twisting the arm of anyone that goes to the fundraiser
just seems so strange

• Wow
Reactions: GAN
Sounds like a weird trip, is she wealthy or something? Maybe someone in her group is friends with a crown prince.

its strange too cause she never knows or remember anything about it==like Ill ask her questions about some of the things there going to see and she always says Im not sure all she ever talks about is all this bazaar stuff and Im truly interested in hearing about this since I love to travel but that is one place thats not on my bucket so its not like Im quizzing her I just like to hear about it

oh well time will tell

some family participated in this kind of stuff-called it 'mission trips', solicited donations, had fundraising....in looking at the photos upon their return/hearing of their 'works' it was largely a bus tour around a given country with stops at different pre-selected locations where they 'helped' (read-handed out donated stuff, had photo ops with orphans, handed out bibles-never in one place more than a couple of hours). average 2 hours of every 24 was spent in doing actual 'works' while the rest of the time they visited national parks, local areas of interest....general touristy stuff.

IDK I don’t think it’s that weird. There’s a youth organization by us and every 2 years a group of outgoing juniors and seniors in high school are selected for a 2 1/2 week international trip. The purpose of the trip is just to experience different cultures, no service type work. They fundraise and do the spaghetti dinner thing too. We are just supporting them vacationing. Idk maybe better because kids and not adults?
Your friends lack of detail could just be because she is an inexperienced traveler and knows all will be taken care of and planned for her. She just knows what to pack and tp is on that list.

If they're not doing mission work, I agree it's weird that they are fundraising. We fundraise for youth mission trips. My kids went on several trips and they definitely do mission and/or volunteer work. (Although they do usually take a day or two to do tourist things as part of it. For example when they did New Orleans cleanup after Katrina they went all went on a swamp tour one morning and had another afternoon of sightseeing, but in between they were definitely working. I saw their laundry!) The kids gain so much from those trips.

However, if a group from church is going to the Holy Lands, etc. on a fun educational vacation trip, they all pay their own way. When a group of adults in our choir went somewhere to sing, we did do a dinner to raise the money to pay our director's way, but that was mainly choir and friends of the choir that were doing it, not fundraising outside the group.

Last edited:
I guess I’m not understanding what part of this you find odd. Schools and youth groups fundraise for all kinds of things — trips domestic and abroad, uniforms, costumes, instruments, stage sets, supplies, camp fees, etc.

And yes, one would be wise to bring their own toilet paper to Tanzania. Toilets are few and far between in the Serengeti (or other parks, in small villages, along rural stretches of road, etc.) and when you do find one, there’s no guarantee it’ll be freshly stocked with paper products or have running water. So, tell her to bring hand sanitizer as well. Another pro-tip is to check for bats roosting above the toilet before dropping your pants to use it and getting the surprise of your life. They like the cool, dark shelter of the stalls and it’s not uncommon to find them there. Getting a rabies vaccine before the trip is not a bad idea, either.

ETA: Oh, this is an adult, not a teen/young adult? Okay, now I see the weirdness in fundraising for it. I guess that’s the world we live in now — why save and pay for something yourself when you can crowdsource others to foot the bill for you? :crazy:

Honestly I'm not paying for anyone's trip anywhere. I pay for my own travel. Mission trips are not common here and not something I am familiar with but also not something I'm opening my wallet to fund. Churches have more than enough money to sponsor these if they want to do so. I'm not paying for overpriced spaghetti so someone else can send their kid to fly and do some mission work. And I'm definitely not donating to send a church group on a sightseeing trip. I'll donate directly to charities with boots on the ground that I think are making a difference.

Usually the fundraising churches do for youth mission trips is very much the congregation and the families of the kids going raising the funds rather than asking random people.

Usually the fundraising churches do for youth mission trips is very much the congregation and the families of the kids going raising the funds rather than asking random people.

That's great and makes a lot of sense! If it's in your community and people want to support then that's awesome. I don't think it's a bad experience for the kids, but I think expecting others to fund this is a lot. People on the boards talk about cash grabs for showers, birthdays, graduations etc. I think this particular thing is ridiculous. But it's just my opinion. Lots of people stand by it and support the mission trips. I may very well be in the minority. Wouldn't be the first time.

I could see the fundraiser for mission charity work or kids and youth since for them it would help build character but a group of adults is diffently a cash grab. If they can’t afford the trip then they shouldn’t go. Still this pastor of her church keeps talking about it being the trip of a lifetime so he’s got everyone brainwashed into thinking they can’t miss this. It probably sounds like I’m jealous but I’m for sure not. If we wanted to go Thst bad we would go. This latest of a fundraiser is just over the top. Gee we’re going on the British isles cruise in sept. Maybe we should have a fundraiser. JK

Maybe we should have a fundraiser. JK
I’ll make the meatballs. You make the spaghetti. Anyone in for the Sauce? Brownies?

And if y’all be kind enough to sign up for something on the supply list it’d really help:
Soda
Water
Paper Plates
Napkins
Utensils
Vanilla Ice Cream
Keurig Cups
Coffee set up
We’re going to DISNEY! :mickeyjum

Great idea genie+ we’ll just plan fundraisers to help everyone pay for there trips🤪😀

we seriously used to get hammered with requests/invites/notices soliciting donations for stuff like this back in the earlier 2000's. i attribute it to some company (can't recall the name but there were TONS of threads on the dis debating them back in the day) that would send out these letters to parents claiming that their child had been 'nominated' as an 'exceptional student/future leader...' and as such was invited to attend some kind of travel opportunity that included 'opportunities for personal/educational growth and development'. i never knew an educator worth anything that actually participated in the supposed nominations to these b/c they were just travel based companies that offered teachers a discounted or free slot on the trips if they got a minimum number of students to participate. we would get these flyers asking people to sponsor individual activities, a single night's supposed lodging costs, meals....

my oldest got her first 'nomination achievement certificate' for 'recognized outstanding leadership' from the company when she was 3 and in preschool :rotfl2: i remember at one little private school mine attended the lead teacher had been approached by a parent to solicit the other parents with the donation flyers and was going to do it until she approached me and i asked 'did you nominate this student' to which she said 'no, i've never heard of this company but we're just so proud of such and such for being honored and want to support her' at which time i pointed out that the materials clearly stated 'your child's teacher has recognized and nominated...' then suggested she read the fine print on the bottom of the back page that clearly said it was a private travel company and not affiliated with any educational organizations. she paled, thanked me and chose not to distribute.

My friend is going on a trip with her church to Tanzinia its not a mission or charity trip its just a group from her church going
every time she tells me something about it --it just sounds so bazaar--like she has to bring her own toliet paper and plastic zip lock bags to throw
used toliet paper in

but today she tells me that there having a spaghetti dinner and silent auction as a fundraiser so now this seems like there getting people to come to this
if it was a charity or mission trip I could see this but anyone that goes to this fundraiser is basically donating so these people can go
just seems so strange
I'm guessing there's information not provided that this IS some kind of mission trip. While I have no doubt individuals would ask others for money for their "vacations", I have a hard time believing a church would support that.

Now the mission/charity may be a small part of the trip, but I'm fairly confident there's SOMETHING there.

used toliet paper in

just seems so strange
Two things:
1. If it's a church group then it IS what you are thinking of as a "mission trip". They just don't use the term "mission trip" anymore because it connotes racially charged ideas of "white saviors" and old fashioned missionaries trying to convert the locals to Christianity. They are probably going to visit "sister" churches and do some volunteer work (which is what most people would consider a mission trip).

2. The part about the toilet paper isn't really weird if they are traveling to any rural areas. Many places just have a hole in the ground to squat over, so you would need to bring your own paper to wipe. Most people are going to toss the TP into the hole because it will biodegrade, but it is the norm to carry a ziplock baggie to hold any feminine hygiene products that shouldn't be left behind. (Maybe that's what they meant?)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter