Has anyone ever blown your surprise?

MissDaisyofTexas

DIS Veteran
From reading these boards it seems that a lot of people surprise their family with a cruise. How do you keep it a secret for so long? Has anyone ever blown your surprise?

I am dying to share our news on my family blog but I'm worried that someone will accidentally ruin the surprise for our kids. (Their cousins told my kiddos what they were getting for Christmas this year--I was so bummed about that!)

Don't do it unless you want your kids to find out! We kept our February cruise a secret from our 3 kids, 8, 10 and 12. We booked in June and told them Christmas morning. It was wonderful, but there were too many close calls. I had told close family and friends and more than once someone slipped but the kids didn't catch it. Just don't put someone in the position of feeling terrible about ruining the secret!

We have neighbors who planned a Carnival cruise for the same week as us. The mom told me the "kids were involved in deciding" what and where to go, etc. They have two teenagers and an 8 year old. Well I mentioned to my 8yo that her friend was also going on a cruise, thinking nothing of it. Well my daughter said something to her friend and the friend said "I'm not going on a cruise. Why would you say that?" I feel TERRIBLE. TERRIBLE. :confused3 But as far as I knew, the kids knew... apparently they didn't tell the youngest one?? I'm so embarrassed after I worried so much about someone ruining the secret for my kids.

My advice, don't do it. Keep it a secret for everyone.

The less people you tell the better. We leave next week, but our kids still have not founfd out; despite a few slip-ups on our part! LOL

We have surprised the kids in the past with a trip to Disney; it was worth feeling like I was going to burst at the seams at times when we saw their faces! Good luck!:wizard:

I learned to scuba dive a few years ago in preparation for a surprise Cruise to Tahiti that I was planning for my wife's birthday. At the beginning of the class, they went around the class asking everyone why they were learning to dive and I shared that I was taking the class so I could dive on an upcoming French Polynesia cruise with my wife.

Toward the end of the class, we all went out to dinner and my wife (who was not taking the class) came along. SUre enough someone in the class struck up a conversation with my wife by saying "You sure must be looking forward to your cruise to Tahiti." In fact, she was not because she new nothing about the trip. It was actually pretty funny and as good a way as any to let her know about my surprise.

If you want to keep it a secret, keep you mouth shut. If you tell ANYONE, it will get back to the kids. If you can pull it off, you might even get them on the plane thinking they are going to WDW or somewhere else. The look on their faces when they get the first view of the ship is priceless.

On our first cruise, my DD fell asleep on the way to the port. She woke up in time to look out the window and ask "IS THAT IT?!?!?!" And she knew we were going on a ship.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter