Has anyone eaten at Ohanas with a peanut allergy?

vitamingirl

Mouseketeer
Hi,

I know that Disney will try to do its best at all restaurants for food allergies but I was wondering if anyone with peanut/tree nuts ate at Ohanas. If so, what specifically did you eat? Did you feel that they were good witht he allergies and did the person with the allergy feel that there was enough selections to choose from?
We have eaten at quite a few places in disney very safely but I am skeptical to bring my DS there because of all the peanut sauces and I am concerned with cross contamination of it being on tables, items etc. However, we really wanted to try this restaurant.

Any help with this would be great.

Thanks!!

I'm sorry, I can't remember exactly what my son ate, but I can tell you that he has eaten there several times. He has always had plenty of options. If I remember correctly, there were only a couple of things he could not eat. Not only is my DS deathly allergic to all nuts he is also allergic to coconut. Disney is very careful about cross contamination. Let them know in advance, remind them when you arrive. Everything will be fine.

Also, I am not embarrassed to use wet wipes to clean tables again at resturaunts and especially on planes before DS eats or even sits there. My DS touched peanut butter on a table once and I had to use his epi-pen and take him to the ER.
Be careful and know that disney understands food allergies.

I don't have a peanut allergy, but I do have a shellfish allergy. I was nervous eating there because of the shrimp being passed around.

When I checked in, I let the greeter know about my allergy. After we were seated, the chef actually came to my table and talked with me. He told me exactly what I could and couldn't have, and also what my husband could and couldn't have while he was there! He let the waiters know, and I didn't have a problem! The chef was great, and we had an awesome time!

If he's working, Chef TJ works very, very well with those who have special dietary concerns. You should call in advance to make sure he's working though, since he isn't there every night. Just to be sure!

I've eaten there with my child who has peanut allergies. We wiped down his chair and table area - there is a peanut dipping sauce available and lots of children eat there. The chef was very helpful and we just didn't have that sauce with our meal. I believe that the breads weren't safe also - we usually get a basket of the tapioca rolls at most restaurants as a substitute. I think I've seen on the disabilities part of these boards that Chef TJ - the favorite chef of those with allergies - is working at Ohana now which should add an extra layer of "security" to anyone dining there.

While there is always a risk, we enjoyed our dinner there and the children loved it. The food was great and the entertainment kept the kids busy all evening.

I hope you enjoy it!

I don't have a peanut allergy, but I do have a shellfish allergy. I was nervous eating there because of the shrimp being passed around.

When I checked in, I let the greeter know about my allergy. After we were seated, the chef actually came to my table and talked with me. He told me exactly what I could and couldn't have, and also what my husband could and couldn't have while he was there! He let the waiters know, and I didn't have a problem! The chef was great, and we had an awesome time!

I told them the same thing about my allergies and the shrimp specifically asking if they would be kind enough not to bring it to our table. Not only did the chef not get the message, but they brought the shrimp to our table and held it over my plate 3 times, each time with me getting more and more upset that they had chosen not to listen. In retrospect I should have asked to speak with the manager before being seated, not just the waitress.

As a personal choice, if I had a child with peanut allergies I'd steer clear of O'Hanas - there are many good places on property that don't use peanuts as much as they do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter