Has anyone done this...

scottishman

Earning My Ears
I purchased 4 round trip tickets from Dallas to MCO about 6 months ago, got what I think is a good price $104.00 each. I used travelocity and these are with United. They are all in my My familys names. The problem is my son may not be going, he kind of wants to go to summer school and work at his new job.(I think he is my son) LOL But my mother in law wants to go if he doesn't . Do you think she would be able to use his ticket? She doesn't have a problem with coming down at a different time and getting her own airfare, but I was just wondering if there is anything I can do with his ticket if I don't decide to "make" him go. Beverly, are you or any of the other resident experts out there? Thanks in advance!!;) ;)P.S. These are non-refundable.

Nope, that won't work. You cannot change the name on an airline ticket and all adult passengers must show a government issued picture ID that matches the name on the ticket.

If your son doesn't travel on the itinerary as ticketed, the ticket is basically worthless since United now charges a $100 change fee.

Hmmm... To make more money? ;)

Actually, I think it's because they do have to keep track of eaxactly who is on each flight. To allow people to transfer tickets to someone else at the drop of a hat would be a logistical nightmare. That's my guess, anyway.

The main reason is to make money but it is also to prevent a company, travel agency or individual from buying up the supply of discounted tickets and then reselling them at a higher price. Before the airlines checked photo ids you used to be able to informally transfer tickets amoung friends and family members.

The cost to transfer the tickets to a friend or family member could easily be handled with a nominal change fee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter