Has anyone bought too many points?

poj7

Mouseketeer
Hi.

Wondering if anyone has any regrets about buying too many points. Interested in specifics. Many of us, it seems, are considering adding on because of what's happening with the "brisk" sales at BCV

Paul

:confused:
Is there such a thing?

As far as I'm concerned....
one can never be too rich,
too thin or
have too many points!:D

That is such a good question! I have been wondering the same thing. I closed on my first purchase a little over a week ago, but these boards are dangerous. I keep thinking I need to buy 100 BCV points with MB while Sept use year is still available. I HAVEN'T EVEN STAYED IN DVC ACCOMODATIONS, AND HAVEN'T EVEN MADE MY FIRST LOAN PAYMENT ON MY BWV PURCHASE! Please, someone tell me there is such a thing as too many points, before I go and do something foolish!

We thought we had too many points and sold 1/2 of them last year, long story. But now I wish we had them back and would except for the HUGH price difference to get them back.
We were almost at the point of buying them back and then we realized the big problem. You can never have enough points and a lot of the reasons we sold are still there. It's like anyone who cannot live within their means. DVC is a perfect example of that. We were ALWAYS living outside of our DVC means. So now we either live within our means or don't go.

We have "just enough" points. Would I mind if I had a bunch more and could spend a couple of months out of the year at WDW? Not until I got the bill for the dues ;). I guess I can see how it's tempting to add on as prices just seem to go up, up, up but we thought long and hard about the number of points that we thought we'd need and that seems to be working for us.

Lisa

LOL-have to tell you my experience. I had told DH that I wanted 50-75 points at BCV. But when we found out MB was a minimum of 100 points, I did mention that we have a 25 point add-on at VWL that we could sell if we felt we now had "too many points" (and to think that at the time, I thought that "too many points" was a real possibility!) Well, within a few weeks, I had all kinds of plans for the next few years, assuming that we would have the full amount (that's 150+25+100). Last night, discussing next year, DH remembered (rats!) "I thought you said you were possibly going to sell those 25 points." Oh, no-now I'm sure we have the right amount and couldn't get by with fewer! How can I get DH to forget that thought?

Hi.

Instead of buying 100pts that you may not need because you're considering selling back 25pt at VWL why not buy 75 and keep VWL but rent out the 75pts for the first year only. This will help with the cost. You've just made your own mini magical beginnings, probably saving around $750. (By the way, that's $74/point).

I think I just talked myself into it...

Paul

How are the resale broker costs figured for the seller on a 25 point contract? I know closing costs for the buyer add a lot to the cost of a small contract. For me, it might not be worth the hassle and paperwork to sell 25 points.

I would like to have more points, but I keep reminding myself of the maintence fees each year that still have to be paid.

I would like to know more myself. I am thinking of a 25 point add on at VWL. Do I have to go through Disney for this?

How are the resale broker costs figured for the seller on a 25 point contract? I know closing costs for the buyer add a lot to the cost of a small contract. For me, it might not be worth the hassle and paperwork to sell 25 points.
I might be wrong, but I believe the title and transfer costs are around $400. That is in addition to broker fees which are probably 20% (I'm guessin on this one) with some minimum. That's why you don't see to many small add-ons for sale, the best way is through Disney, and that's why it's great they are buying mor points back. You'll want to try to sell the add on without a broker. Possibly through TUG or e-mail. Someone can correct me where I'm wrong.

In answer to your original question--no. I started with 170 pts, added 25, bought a second contract of 150, added on 105, bought a third contract of 250----and now I am looking into adding on:rolleyes:

The only times I even think about having too many points is when it's time to pay the annual dues (use the lump sum method), or when I am looking for decent airfare prices out of MSP!

I only have 150. I will probably add 50 by the end of the year, and my dream is to have 400, but then I'd probably want more.

DVC and Weight Watchers.....I think you always wish you had more points!

924.gif

You can't ever have too many points. Unfortunately for me, since we had to replace windows in the house last month, adding on isn't in the cards in the foreseeable future - unless I win the Powerball:rolleyes:

Too many points??? I don't have enough points!!!

When we bought 11 years ago, our only concern was what would happen when our kids got older.

With a 20, almost 22 and not quite 18 year old, we find that we are still using all of our points. If their college/school schedule works with ours, they happily come along, if not, we go on our own.

If anything, over the last year we've added on 250 VWL points to our 310 at OKW.

Back in the stone age, DVC was a new concept. We took a chance and purchased. We are so pleased with the way that it has expanded, and the different travel options that it offers, that we always want to have enough points on hand. :D

Started out with 300VWL pts - we thought we over estimated what we would need - then less than a year later we bought 200 OKW pts through a resale - now I sit and wonder if we need 200-250more pts - we have adopted a little boy (5y/o) and we have a DD almost 8y/o - I think soon we will always need a 2bdrm - plus when DD hits middle school I think the days of pulling her out of school might be over:( - so we will be going in higher point use times. So NO we don't have too many points we have to few. Excuse me now - I need to call the timeshare store;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter