has anyone been allergic to POTATOES?

Reenieny18

Panama Canal crossing Disney Magic August 2008
Hello everyone. I need some help here. Has anyone heard of an adult suddenly becoming allergic to potatoes? I have been so severly sick after eating potatoes in all forms for over a year. I have tried mashed, instant, sweet baked and my own cut and microwaved potaotes. I was hopitalized last Jan for over 11 days for being so sick.

I have heard of children having an allergy to potaotes.. but they usually grow out of them.. any related info will help.. I was eating potatoes at Christams that December before and than on Jan 6.. suddenly ill...

Thanks in advance...

It might be related to nightshade. I know that intolerance in the alkaloids in nightshade plants is more common in adults than children. Sweet potatoes are not botanically related to white potatoes, so if they bother you too then there might be something else going on.

I have never heard of anyone being allergic to potatoes (in fact, it used to be considered a 'safe' food for elimination diets). So, it must be pretty rare.
I was curious, so I looked up some information on the internet:

Health24.com had a pretty good article,which also includes a list of foods that are in the same plant family.
As dawnball mentioned, sweet potatoes are not in the same family, so if you are having problems with both white and sweet potatoes, it may be something other than an allergy.

Thanks for the replies so far.. We cant figure it out either.. Of course I do not want to try them again either.. I have tried foods that were even touching potatoes and I got so very sick. My stomache gets distended and I really bloat up and I soon start to vomit and have the diarrhea for several days to come.. I swell up so bad and its so sudden too...

Thanks for looking up the info..
DOREEN

I'd recommend getting yourself properly tested by an allergist, so you can figure out what's going on.

Best of luck!:thumbsup2

I also have an allergy to ....raw potatoes, only. I can eat them cooked , but as an adult I have been allergic (in a sense) to peeling raw pototoes. I get itchy eyes and they swell up . I also get a horse voice . I was never like this as a child , as I grew up helping my mother peel potatoes regularly.
Also, I have the same allergic reaction to ...raw apples . I can't eat an apple or I get hoarse, tingling in my mouth & lips and itchy red and swollen eyes. This has been going on since I was about 20 yrs. old ...never had any problems as a child. I also can eat cooked apples and drink apple juice.
:sad2: I was thinking maybe it all the preservatives they use nowadays???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter