Harry Potter advice for 1st timers...

lchuck

DIS Dad #826
We'll be going to US/IOA for the 1st time in early June for 2.5 days. We'll be arriving on a Thursday afternoon and will spend as much time as possible on Thursday, and all day on Friday and Saturday in the 2 parks. We'll be on-site and have EP and early entry and will be taking full advantage of these. What I'm looking for is advice on whether to do a full day+ dedicated to the HP stuff or just mix all of it together? 4 of the 6 of our party are pretty interested in Harry Potter and I want to get them as much immersion as possible. Are there better times to do certain activities (spells, wand show, just wandering the areas) and are the areas different in the day and night times? Also, are there specific rides that we should take the time to go through the full queue VS using the EP? Thanks for any advice you can offer!

I mix it up because imo there’s simply not enough to do in the WW sections to take a whole day. Though I’ll admit that I dislike the spell casting stuff.

We never get back to WW in the evening hours. I’ve heard it’s very nice but we hit it at early entrance and a little beyond. Also, with a summer trip you might not even be there in the evening when it’s truly dark. Check park hours and sunset times.

When I have EP I don’t care what the full line looks like. And apart from quick “between cruise and evening flight” with APs I’ve never not had EP. :)

Other people have differing opinions on that.

We like to book end our days with HP. The mid-day crowds are too high anyway so it works out well.

Ditto. We do as much as possible in the morning, and when the HP areas start getting really crowded, we venture out to the rest of the park. We return in the evenings. We are re-riders, so we like to go through the single rider or EP lines for the HP rides over and over again until there start to be longer lines.

Yeah do HP either in the morning or at night. You don’t miss too much skipping the lines, but in the regular line you have more time to actually take in all the little details and experience everything. I personally would spread it out over the days instead of doing all of HP in one day. That way you get a taste of the “magic”!every day and I know that each time I go I notice something new!

You might have done it already, but if not go to the sticky that is about 13 above yours “Wizarding World Touring Plans and Details”

The person who started that sticky ruthies12 has given the secrets for all the things to look for to make your visits to Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade a success and will you will be a rock star to your friends who love all things Potter if you follow this information

95208CBC-F672-414B-9682-B201B8871D55.gif

Yeah do HP either in the morning or at night. You don’t miss too much skipping the lines, but in the regular line you have more time to actually take in all the little details and experience everything. I personally would spread it out over the days instead of doing all of HP in one day. That way you get a taste of the “magic”!every day and I know that each time I go I notice something new!

Oh, yes! You definitely need to do the full queue in both of the big rides at least once. Bring a camera that can securely fit in a zipped pocket and take your time taking it all in.

You might have done it already, but if not go to the sticky that is about 13 above yours “Wizarding World Touring Plans and Details”

The person who started that sticky ruthies12 has given the secrets for all the things to look for to make your visits to Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade a success and will you will be a rock star to your friends who love all things Potter if you follow this information

View attachment 323449
I had previously skimmed through that thread, but I've gone back and read it in depth and my goodness, that's a thorough one! I'll be reading through it a couple more times and taking some notes in preparation for our upcoming trip. Thanks to all who offered advice, we'll definitely be bookending our days with HP activities and check out the rest of the parks with the rest of our time. Thanks again all!

Yes, Wizarding World Touring Plans and Details by ruthies12 was so good I made it a sticky so all could see it and use it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter