Hard to imagine, 13 years now since we lost a good DIS friend, now an angel (photos)

Dan Murphy

We are family.
A DIS buddy of ours, Sylvia, passed away thirteen years ago after a long, tough battle with cancer. She is an angel now.

Remembering our friend Sylvia......

Because I knew you….I have been changed for the good.

Avoncandle.gif

Today, June 7th, 2014, will be the thirteenth anniversary of the passing of our DIS friend, Sylvia, having passed away June 7, 2001. I have written similar thoughts as this on past anniversaries of her passing, as well as on Sylvia's birthday, January 14th. Having a limited number of pictures to share, as well as limited recollections, I am pretty much limited to essentially repeating a similar thread for her and her memory, and thus a repeat twice a year, mostly a copy and paste. Apologies to those who have seen this so many times over the years. But, in the past few years, some new pictures to see. See below.

Take a moment, relax, enjoy a life, Sylvia's......

January 14th, 1962. A little girl was born up in Canada. Her folks named her Sylvia. When Sylvia grew up, she had a son, and named him Nick. Sylvia became ill in 1998 with Inflammatory Breast Cancer, same as another DIS friend, Lisa (Tiger Fan), who passed just a bit more than 7 years ago, blessed us all here on the DIS with her presence for a short period of time, and passed away June 7, 2001. She made a big impact on me and others, and I, along with others here on the DIS, have kept her memory lit.

What I have to remember Sylvia with is limited to the pictures below, along with several others sent to me over the years, my recollections of her, here on the DIS, my phone and board conversations with her over the months while she was here, conversations with her mom since her passing, my memories. As I have said in past years, I apologize for pretty much duplicating this thread a couple times a year (though a few new items added periodically over the years), on her birthday and her day of passing, but I do know many new folks come to the DIS, and never knew Sylvia, and this is about all I can do with what I have of memories and photos. I also know many who do enjoy seeing her a few times a year, albeit the same pictures, almost the same words, the same thoughts. So, with these few pictures, mine and others recollections, I try to have others share a life, Sylvia's.

Many folks here on the DIS, who have come here in the past 13 years, are not familiar with Sylvia, did not know Sylvia, though do see periodic references to her in posts every now and then, or in memorial clipart in some DIS'ers signatures, like mine below. If you came by the DIS in the months and years after June of 2001, you did not have the opportunity to say hello to Sylvia, or get to know her. If you were here before then, you did, and do remember her.

Sylvia came to the DIS, in early 2000, like most of us, searching for some Disney answers, and she found the DIS, the DIS family, and likewise, that DIS family found Sylvia. She came, looking to make a magical trip to Disney World, a spur of the moment trip, for her and her son, Nick, then about 5 years old, shortly before she was about to restart chemo, due to a recurrence of her breast cancer, originally diagnosed and initially treated in mid 1998. Sylvia was able to go, making lifelong memories for little Nick. Some folks on the DIS helped indeed make her and Nick's WDW trip a reality, a magical memory for both.

Shortly after that trip, Sylvia's health, suffering the ravages of her breast cancer, slowly deteriorated, with her finally passing away, June 7th, 2001, only 39 years old. A very sad day, a sad time here on the DIS for our family here. Our friend, Sylvia, here on the DIS for less that 18 months, and passing away 13 years ago, made a very lasting and indelible impression and memory on so many, myself among them.

Today, we still remember Sylvia.
In Sylvia's memory, let us all try to do our part in
maintaining good health.

Make that appointment to get checked up....today.

Komen.gif

About one year before Sylvia passed away, another young DIS'er, Tink 2300, aka Stephanie, also passed away. And in past years, we lost Robin and Beverly Lynn, two more young women in the prime of their lives. Three young children, Nick, Caitlyn and Aryn lost their moms way too early in life. Keep their memories alive, Steph, Sylvia, Robin, Beverly Lynn. Also, in past years, we also lost DIS'ers Montessori, FloridaCat, Tigger13, Richyams, FaithinKarma, JudySue, Hurricanpatti (aka Hanname), ILUVDXL, Tigger13, Hilside, Herclover, MinnieM3 (Beth), Marlasmom, Julie_yet, and as said, just 4 years ago, same disease as Sylvia, Lisa. In 2010, our good friend Kama89 (Kim), passed away from breast cancer, and her young son, Cameron, now without his mom. And late 2011, Robin Costello (Delswife) passed away. In 2012, Pandy Paws (Donna), our favorite train engineer in the Magic Kingdom and safari driver in Animal Kingdom. Jambo, Donna, all aboard. And also, good friend, Mackey Mouse (Marsha) joined her life’s love Tommy for all eternity. Last year, we lost JungleCruiser (Sarah), wdw4us2 (Lisa) breast cancer. And same for PatsMom (Linda). Mamajoan (Joan) passed away suddenly last year, as did ugadog99 (Melanie). Please keep Melanie’s daughter, DIS’er keypooh in your thoughts.
Please remember all these good people (and others if I have missed their names), all family members of our DIS community and family. :hug: If there are others (I don’t frequent the community board as often anymore and may have missed), please add them in a reply.

Here are a few of the limited pictures I have of Sylvia
that I think give a little insight into this lovely lady, a friend I never met, but feel I got to know so well........

Sylvia4_312X450.jpg

This was taken on Sylvia's last birthday while with us, January, 2001, just 5 months prior to her death. Great smile.

Sylvia5_600X413.jpg

Taken about 1 year after diagnosis with Dan, a good friend who
shared with Sylvia in her last couple years, enjoying nature, enjoying life.

Sylvia6_330X450.jpg

This is Christmas of '98, with Nick. Sylvia felt comfortable with
her baldness, a necessary side effect of getting well she said.

A few pictures from Sylvia's healthier days......

Sylvia1_545X450.jpg

This picture is of Sylvia, Nick and Dan's DD, Emma.

Sylvia2_299X450.jpg

What a great picture of a great lady!!!! This picture
was taken about 6 months before she was diagnosed with breast cancer. Sylvia loved the outdoors and animals.
She was especially fond of otters.

Sylvia3_600X443.jpg

This one also was taken shortly before she was diagnosed, a
great picture of Sylvia and little Nick.

Sylvia7_596X450.jpg

And all throughout her illness, what a strong lady!!!!
Anyone see a frown?
Always smiling, that was Sylvia.

A good site to visit, many great items of help here......

Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation

AvonBear.gif

Love you, miss ya, Syl, friend.

A somewhat newer picture, though now actually not so new at all, of Nick, from 2004, that Sylvia’s mom sent me some years back.

SylviaNick-2004.jpg

I did get a couple updated pictures from Margarete, years back, of Nick. One above, of Nick in his hockey uniform (like any good young Canadian boy), about age 9, about nine or so years ago. Sylvia's mom, Margarete, with whom I have kept a dialog going over the years, sent me these couple updated ones after I talked to her one January years back, on Sylvia's birthday.

The pictures here are of both Nick, and his grandma, Margarete, Sylvia's mom. They were taken at Christmas (as if I had to say. :)), six, maybe seven years ago, if I recall correctly. Nick sure had grown, from those early pictures of years ago, when Sylvia was here, as well as several after; looking like a fine young man.

Margarete said to me....."Sylvia would have been so proud of him."

NickMargarete2007A.jpg

NickMargarete2007B.jpg

Eeyore.jpg

I try call and/or email Margarete every January, Sylvia’s birthday, and June, Sylvia’s passing. Back in January, 2010, I called as usual. Margarete was not home, so left a voice mail. I did not hear back though, until an email in April, 2010. Margarete shared that things have been somewhat tough with Nick of recent. He is now living with her, having had a tough time living with his dad and stepmom. From Margarete’s words, Nick sounds like he is experiencing both the normal teen bumps in the road we all know all too well, plus the results of not having a mom around for all these years. I do hope he is able to overcome the obstacles, I am sure he will.

For Good--click for sound if you like

ELPHABA
I'm limited:
Just look at me - I'm limited
And just look at you -
You can do all I couldn't do, Glinda
So now it's up to you
(spoken) For both of us
(sung) Now it's up to you:

GLINDA
I've heard it said
That people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who help us most to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you:

Like a comet pulled from orbit
As it passes a sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good

ELPHABA
It well may be
That we will never meet again
In this lifetime
So let me say before we part
So much of me
Is made of what I learned from you
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have re-written mine
By being my friend:
Like a ship blown from its mooring
By a wind off the sea
Like a seed dropped by a skybird
In a distant wood
But because I knew you:

GLINDA
Because I knew you:

BOTH
I have been changed for good

ELPHABA
And just to clear the air
I ask forgiveness
For the things I've done you blame me for

GLINDA
But then, I guess we know
There's blame to share

BOTH
And none of it seems to matter anymore

GLINDA ELPHABA
Like a comet pulled Like a ship blown
From orbit as it Off it's mooring
Passes a sun, like By a wind off the
A stream that meets Sea, like a seed
A boulder, half-way Dropped by a
Through the wood Bird in the wood

BOTH
I do believe I have been changed for the better?

GLINDA
And because I knew you:
ELPHABA
Because I knew you:

BOTH
Because I knew you:
I have been changed for good.

Music--For Good---Wicked, Kristin Chenoweth

PS: Again, a bit of apology to those who have seen this similar thread several times in the past over the years on Sylvia’s birthday and today. I do try to keep Sylvia's memory here, as do others, yet have a finite number of pictures and memories to share. Enjoy her life. Thanks

And now here, several additional pictures Margarete sent me about six years or so ago.

(and some neat news to share after the pictures).

NickandMargareteChristmas2008.jpg

This picture is of Margarete and Nick, one year after those two Christmas ones above. This is Christmas, 2008.

Nickandgirlfriendsummer2010.jpg

This one is of Nick and his girlfriend from several summers ago, 2010, while on a family vacation at a cottage. I told Margarete I got such a kick out of the look on her face….”Oh no, another picture!!”
(I did ask Margarete’s permission in posting this and all the pictures she has sent, and she said ‘for sure’.

Nickandgirlfriendcampfiresummer2010.jpg

Another here of Nick and his girlfriend, an evening campfire at the cottage.

Nickincanoesummer2010-1.jpg

And lastly, this one of Nick in a canoe out on the lake, reminds me so much of his mom in the picture above of Sylvia in the boat fishing.
Margarete says he loves the outdoors, just like his mom.

And now, how about this very neat news? (This is now older news) Back in the fall, 2010, Margarete emailed me, asking me if I could help her plan a trip for her, her husband and Nick…destination…..Disney World!!! She wanted to take Nick back to WDW for a fun, early in the year trip. Margarete said she was last there when Sylvia was 12 years old, so like 39 or so years ago. Only the Magic Kingdom back then. And Nick was last there when he was about 5, when Sylvia came here to get help in planning that trip.

I told Margarete, ‘for sure!’. So we had a fun time over those late fall months, exchanging ideas on dates (early Feb, great time to go), resorts, transportation, dining, and a lot of the little nuances many of us take for granted….Fastpass, EMH, park hoppers, etc. I really enjoyed the journey from my seat here, and felt like Sylvia watched over all the planning, making it a super trip for the three of them. I looked forward to hearing about the results.

So, there it is, an annual repeat thread, but with a few things new. Sylvia continues to be a presence.

Eeyore.jpg

Sylvia was a wonderful lady

A good site to visit, many great items of help here......

Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation

And today, here on the DIS, we have many breast cancer survivors,
many in remission, many still fighting the battle.
Maybe stop by and say hello here on this long running thread, originally started by Laura and Linda back nine years ago, and now in its fourth edition......

Dis Breast Cancer Survivors, III - GAGWTA! (Greetings and good wishes to all!)

Dan

PS: Also, a bit of apology to those who have seen this similar thread several times in the past over the years on Sylvia’s birthday and anniversary of her passing. I do try to keep Sylvia's memory here, as do others, yet have a finite number of pictures and memories to share. Thanks

Many also who would remember Sylvia are no longer here, for various reasons, though I know they do keep her in their memories.

Several more pictures from Sylvia’s mom
and Nick’s trip to WDW back in February, 2011 follow below.​

Nick and his buddy, along with Nick’s grandma, Margarete and her husband, all went to Disney World back in February, 2011. They had a wonderful time according to Margarete. I called one evening, Margarete and her husband were out shopping at DtD, but I was able to talk a bit, for the first time ever, to Nick, and his buddy a bit too. I felt I was talking to a celebrity. I was!! And I was very happy to have helped them a bit in their planning.

Arrival.jpg

Nick and his buddy, arriving at the resort, apparently excited!!

Chipmunks.jpg

Nick with Chip n’ Dale

Illuminations.jpg

Illuminations, always beautiful, has Sylvia written all over it.

InfrontofDolphinfountain.jpg

Nick and his buddy in front of the magnificent Dolphin fountain.

Intheroom.jpg

And here Nick and his buddy relaxing in their room. Looks nice.

LatenightBBgame.jpg

The two of them on the Swan Dolphin basketball court for a late night pick up game.

MargareteandFriendship.jpg

Margarete, Friendship and Swan in the background.

MargareteatBigRiver.jpg

Margarete at Big River Grill.

NickonSwanbridge.jpg

Nick and friend trekking over the S/D bridge on way to the Boardwalk.

PlutoandGoofy.jpg

Pluto, Goofy, Nick and buddy.

Stitch.jpg

And finally, Nick and Stitch.

So very happy Nick, Margarete and her husband, along with Nick's buddy, all enjoyed Disney World as they did. I am sure the memories of Sylvia traveled with them all. And hopefully are planning a return trip soon. :cloud9:

And most recently, a few days after Sylvia’s birthday this past January, Margarete replied to my email as follows……

‘Hi Dan,

Thank you very much for your note, and for remembering ! Yes, she would have been 52 yrs. old...hard to believe.

Nick, John and I just returned from a 1-week trip to Cuba.
We all enjoyed it....good hotel, great weather and beautiful beach.

Nick is doing relatively well. He is working and completing his schooling on the side. He was going to enter college to go into social work but has now decided to work for one more year, and then decide if that's what he still wants to do. He and I spent quite a while talking about Sylvia yesterday...he still misses her very much; as do I. I don't think either of us will ever get over her loss.

So Dan, I hope you and your family are well; and thanks again for remembering Sylvia.

Margarete

P.S. Yes, we still talk about returning to Disney World. One of these days.....’

And so there it is. Thirteen years have passed since we lost our friend, but our friend Sylvia now has 13 years behind her as our angel. :cloud9:

Dan, I always read your tribute posts to Sylvia. I am always amazed at the deep bond you two developed and touched that all these years later, you still remember, still miss, Sylvia. I hope that somewhere along the way, I make a friend as dedicated and heartfelt as you are towards Sylvia. Thanks, once again, for sharing and for remembering Sylvia. You are a great person and wonderful friend.

Thanks, Dan, for the memories, and especially the updates, and pictures of Nick! It IS hard to believe it's been 13 years! Thanks also for reminding us of all the others we have lost over the years. I was very surprised to see my daughter, Hilary, (Hilside) mentioned. She wasn't very well known on the DIS, except maybe to the watchers of As The World Turns and Guiding Light, that she started threads and posted news and updates about!

It's hard to believe she has been gone 8 years now. I miss her so much, as does the rest of the family, especially Katelyn. For being 18 years apart in age, she was very close to her "Sissy". I regret that she never got to meet her 3 best friends children, 2 of her cousin's children, and especially her very own nephew, Xavier, Jared's son. She would have loved them all so much!

My parents both died in 2012, and my only consolation is that now they are reunited with Hilary.

Sorry to "DISbomb?" your thread, Dan! I just was thinking of my first baby, as always!

Love to read a thread of yours, even if it was a sad one.

What a wonderful tribute, Dan.

And I would add: the Breast Cancer thread here on the Dis that Dan referenced ( http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2833381&highlight=gagwta ) was an incredible resource for me as I went through my mastectomy, reconstruction and radiation almost 6 years ago. If you know anyone facing those issues, please direct them to that thread, whether or not they're "Disney people." It's full of people who have walked in those shoes, who know the ins and outs, the questions to ask, the answers to many questions, and the real practical details that make a huge difference. (They're the ones who helped me find a bra to wear during reconstruction, when my shape was changing every single week, and I was still teaching in a coed high school.) They also laugh a lot-- My gift from the tag fairy at the left was a response to some gentle humor on that thread. Dan, and the others who frequent that thread, are lifesavers when you realize that that lump you've been praying is "nothing" turns out to be "something."

Thanks again, Dan, for a lovely tribute.

Thank you Dan, for always remembering. I love ya, Captain.

RIP Sylvia.

Thank you Dan. I remember Sylvia so many years ago. You are a great friend to keep her memory alive.

You are a kind friend to Sylvia and the other members. Thank you for continuing to include my mom in your list.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter