Hanging up my running shoes

I always really enjoy reading about your week of training! I feel like a broken record... but you guys are awesome!

I love the lady and the tramp gif! That is my mom's favorite movie... and because of it, she is probably the only person that gets excited to visit Tony's.

HBD to Drake and good wishes for @Chris-Mo!

I always really enjoy reading about your week of training! I feel like a broken record... but you guys are awesome!

I love the lady and the tramp gif! That is my mom's favorite movie... and because of it, she is probably the only person that gets excited to visit Tony's.

HBD to Drake and good wishes for @Chris-Mo!

Aw, thanks and thanks for reading!

Confession: I've never eaten at Tony's. I've read such awful things here and elsewhere and with so many other choices, we've just never tried it. Maybe we should give it a try one of these days.

Finally! A Successfully Completed Week!!!
Training update 2/19/18 - 2/25/18
364538709v2147483647_480x480_front_color-black-jpg.gif

After a few weeks of our new DB plan and feeling like the weather was conspiring against us, I was determined that we actually complete a full week of training within specs of the plan and WOOHOO, we did just that!! But, not without the weather trying to scuttle us with monsoon type rain storms!!

tenor.gif

Monday 2/19/18 - 4 miles at our Easy/LR pace. After completing the 7 and 9 mile runs on the weekend, I was not exactly stoked to be getting up and running again on Monday. I can see why this 5 day a week plan has the benefits that it does. It's a lot of time running. :D But, regardless, our plan was to get up bright and early to run, we got dressed and headed out to drive to our normal running spot and on the way spotted lightening. Sigh.
giphy.gif

Chris had forgotten his keys to get into the gym to hit the treadmill, so back home we went. Luckily storms cleared some during the afternoon and we managed to get a 4 mile run in after dinner instead. We were just running back up to the car when the next round of rain started to hit. But, huzzah, we'd managed to get the run done! Pace 12:04.
Tuesday 2/20/18 - 4 miles planned. 1 mile at our interval Easy LR pace and then 3 miles at our easy continuous run. But, again, when we woke up it was pouring ran and lightening, so this time we just headed straight to the treadmills. It was fine. You know, whatever, I just do NOT like running on the treadmill. But, we managed it just fine. I did cheat and set the continuous pace at 12:00 m/m instead of 12:29 as the plan calls for because, frankly, I just wanted it done. And, it was certainly still a very easy run.
Wednesday 2/21/18 - Yay, rest day. And a good thing because it was STILL raining.
tenor.gif

Thursday 2/22/18 - 4.5 miles planned. 2 miles at LR with intervals and then 2 miles at 10k pace followed by a 0.5 mile cool down. Once again, we mostly went too fast during the run portion of our 10k pacing. I'm just so stuck in my head that we need to run FAST that I have trouble hitting the right paces. Really going to try and manage it this week though! The 2 miles was obviously harder than doing it for 1 mile like we did last week, but again, it was manageable and again, I was happy to slow things down when we finished. :D Overall pace ended up at 11:02 for the total mileage.
Friday 2/23/18 - Rest day!
Saturday 2/24/18 - We got up pretty early to run on Saturday as the forecast was calling for, wait for it, more rain! Fortunately, it was pretty mild temps though and we did get our 6 miles in before the rain hit. Overall pace 12:20.

Sunday 2/25/18 - Finally the rain had stopped by Saturday afternoon and Sunday ended up being a glorious day! We still ran pretty early, but the sky was a lovely bright blue with temps in the mid-40s. Perfect!! 7 miles with an overall pace of 12:07

AND, we did YOGA on Sunday night! WHAT??? Yeah, it's been a long time and my nemesis of plank/downward facing dog/plank was back with a vengeance, but it felt really good to do some yoga again. Hoping to be consistent with that again!!

giphy.gif

So, there you have it! Success on a full week of training finally. This 5 days a week of running is certainly a challenge from a mental standpoint - What? you mean I have to go running again? - But, I can certainly see how it will reap benefits.

Great job with the training, especially in the rain! I was traveling for work last week and was pleasantly surprised when my car was clean upon my return. I was half convinced my husband had somehow taken it to the carwash and returned it to the airport. Apparently it just rained that much!

Great job with the training, especially in the rain! I was traveling for work last week and was pleasantly surprised when my car was clean upon my return. I was half convinced my husband had somehow taken it to the carwash and returned it to the airport. Apparently it just rained that much!
It was nutso. Chris is the executive director of operations for the school district. They have a building that sits very near our local river and most of Saturday was spent watching the river stages and trying to determine if they would have to empty out the building (something they've had to do before). Fortunately, the rain stopped and the river began to recede before that was needed. Phew!

Congrats on the great week! I'd be curious to hear whether this training load at 5 days per week is indeed more than the previous Dopey cycle. How does the time spent running per week compare?

It was nutso. Chris is the executive director of operations for the school district. They have a building that sits very near our local river and most of Saturday was spent watching the river stages and trying to determine if they would have to empty out the building (something they've had to do before). Fortunately, the rain stopped and the river began to recede before that was needed. Phew!
Glad to hear there was no flooding. I'm really hoping this isn't a sign that we're in for a wet and floody spring.

Congrats on the great week! I'd be curious to hear whether this training load at 5 days per week is indeed more than the previous Dopey cycle. How does the time spent running per week compare?

Hmmm, good question. Compared to where we were this time last year it's quite a bit more. I looked at our schedule this time last year and we were not running a lot. We were only running 3x per week. 4 miles on Tues and Thurs respectively and then 6-8 miles Saturdays. So, time was probably around 3 - 4 hours per week. The goal race at the time was the Pixie Dust Challenge at DL in May. After May is when we got a bit more serious about training and added a 4th day of running that was track work. As we built up toward our local fall marathon (which was my A goal race for the year), we ramped up quite a bit more in mileage. Regular or sort of maintenance step-back weeks through the summer were 4 days running with about 24 miles total time around 4.5 - 5.5 hours probably and then on the weeks where we had longer long runs, probably around 30-40 miles on peak weeks leading up to the marathon. Now, we were running those miles at a faster pace, basically all of them around the 10:30 average mark with the exception of really long runs on hot days that were closer to 11 - 11:30. So, I think when we talk about the mileage we were running in the summer, leading up to the marathon, the mileage might end up closer to what your training plan will call for, although I've not seen what you have in store for us once we start training for Chicago. :D The big difference is for this time of year, we are running a lot more miles and of course more time since we are going at a slower pace.

That is a lot of rain...
Congrats on a successful training week despite the bad weather!

Thank you. So far this week is glorious! It was 45 this morning at 5 AM with no wind. Perfect running temp!

Glad to hear there was no flooding. I'm really hoping this isn't a sign that we're in for a wet and floody spring.

You and me both! We have had an extremely dry fall and winter, so we badly needed the rain, but it would be nice if it came a little more spread out than this.

We interrupt this training journal...
giphy.gif

Shopping update!

After getting back from Dopey, the Disney Store online was selling Dopey finisher jackets. I'd walked around all marathon weekend regretting that I didn't order the Marathon Weekend jacket (because it was pretty awesome). So, when they came out with this jacket design, I decided I wanted to order one for me and Chris. Now, the description did say that it was a rain/windbreaker type of jacket with a hood, so I knew it wouldn't be like the marathon jackets, but I decided to take a chance anyway. There was also a men's and women's design (nice job, Disney!), so I liked that as well. Anyway, they finally arrived yesterday and I LOVE THEM!!

I didn't tell Chris I was ordering them, so I was a little worried he wouldn't like it (and they're weren't cheap!), but luckily he really liked his as well. They are nice and heavy and are fleece lined and have some nice interior pockets as well as zipper pockets on the outside. Although, interesting, the men's jacket pockets don't zip. I guess men don't like to zip their pockets?? :confused3

Anyway, love them and so glad I ordered!

https://flic.kr/p/23DAYT3

Hmmm, good question. Compared to where we were this time last year it's quite a bit more. I looked at our schedule this time last year and we were not running a lot. We were only running 3x per week. 4 miles on Tues and Thurs respectively and then 6-8 miles Saturdays. So, time was probably around 3 - 4 hours per week. The goal race at the time was the Pixie Dust Challenge at DL in May. After May is when we got a bit more serious about training and added a 4th day of running that was track work. As we built up toward our local fall marathon (which was my A goal race for the year), we ramped up quite a bit more in mileage. Regular or sort of maintenance step-back weeks through the summer were 4 days running with about 24 miles total time around 4.5 - 5.5 hours probably and then on the weeks where we had longer long runs, probably around 30-40 miles on peak weeks leading up to the marathon. Now, we were running those miles at a faster pace, basically all of them around the 10:30 average mark with the exception of really long runs on hot days that were closer to 11 - 11:30. So, I think when we talk about the mileage we were running in the summer, leading up to the marathon, the mileage might end up closer to what your training plan will call for, although I've not seen what you have in store for us once we start training for Chicago. :D The big difference is for this time of year, we are running a lot more miles and of course more time since we are going at a slower pace.

Agreed. It looks like your down weeks were usually in the 3-4s and peak weeks in the 5-6s. During marathon training up to 7.5s. The difference in load is that my plan stays more in the 5-6s but that the pacing is all kept slower than what you were doing. It'll be interesting to see how it continues to progress.

As for Chicago, I'd venture to guess it won't look terribly different than this current plan (in terms of overall time). Since the weekdays are limited to 50min and my cap for Sat/Sun is 90/150, then the plan would probably cap around 6.5 hours. The difference will be the down weeks won't go down to 3-4s since you won't need more recovery time given the shorter long runs. So the end result will be +2 hrs for each down week (or which my plans do one and Galloway does 2) and my peak weeks will be -1 from Galloway. So overall in a three week span you're likely to spend about 3 hours more training (or about an hour per week more than Galloway). Just without the long runs being up so high (maxed at 13 miles for you).

Agreed. It looks like your down weeks were usually in the 3-4s and peak weeks in the 5-6s. During marathon training up to 7.5s. The difference in load is that my plan stays more in the 5-6s but that the pacing is all kept slower than what you were doing. It'll be interesting to see how it continues to progress.

As for Chicago, I'd venture to guess it won't look terribly different than this current plan (in terms of overall time). Since the weekdays are limited to 50min and my cap for Sat/Sun is 90/150, then the plan would probably cap around 6.5 hours. The difference will be the down weeks won't go down to 3-4s since you won't need more recovery time given the shorter long runs. So the end result will be +2 hrs for each down week (or which my plans do one and Galloway does 2) and my peak weeks will be -1 from Galloway. So overall in a three week span you're likely to spend about 3 hours more training (or about an hour per week more than Galloway). Just without the long runs being up so high (maxed at 13 miles for you).

I also meant to tell you that during the summer months, we might be able to do a bit longer runs during the week if that's beneficial to the training plan. With the kids out of school, I can take a bit more time in the mornings and Chris has more flexibility when he arrives to work.

Yay #buyallthethings!! I love that jacket! So cute and it looks comfy!

YAY for #buyallthethings!!

I also meant to tell you that during the summer months, we might be able to do a bit longer runs during the week if that's beneficial to the training plan. With the kids out of school, I can take a bit more time in the mornings and Chris has more flexibility when he arrives to work.

That'll work for sure and something we can discuss at that time. Having one more day that goes up to 90-120 min mid-week is very beneficial.

Yay, love the pics of the jacket. I ordered one too and it's suppose to be here today. I was worried with others comments, but they sound great and look awesome. Nice modeling work!

Yay, love the pics of the jacket. I ordered one too and it's suppose to be here today. I was worried with others comments, but they sound great and look awesome. Nice modeling work!

Hopefully you like it! Luckily I realized they were rain jackets, so I had the right expectation.

Hopefully the sun in shining for you now and the river is going down! Great week of training :)

I love those jackets! Cute cute! I think it's nice that rD is giving people a post-race option- they might be onto something there.

selling Dopey finisher jackets
And this is why it sucks to disappear from the DIS for awhile. I wish I had known this, I never actually made it into the Expo for the lines-and would have loved one of these jackets.
Congrats on a well executed training week in the rain-yuck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter