Handicapped rooms

mommy2allgirls

DIS Veteran
I'm not sure this is the right place for this. We will be staying at the wilderness lodge coming this December. I use a wheelchair and ecv and we have reserved a handicap room. Can someone tell me what the room is like?

I was assigned one when I checked in the day before Thanksgiving a few years ago and all the other rooms were occupied. It had a king size bed and lots of room around the bed for navigating in a chair/scooter. The bathroom was huge, with a large roll in shower that had a seat, and a raised toilet with grab bars all around. The bathroom didn't have any doors - you went through an archway to the vanity, which was extra long and wider than the archway. You turned to the left to go to the shower and to the right to the toilet. My room was in the hall just past Roaring Forks, on the ground floor looking out toward the pool.

Ironically enough, I caught the fever and chills flu on that trip (only trip I've been sick at Disney) and that shower seat and the grab bars were a blessing because I was so dizzy I could hardly walk. So everything happens for a reason, even a room assignment that doesn't appear to be anything you would need.

Here is a link to allears.net page with pictures of a handicap room at WL.
There are pictures of other accessible rooms at other Disney resorts. Go to Accommodations. On the column on the left: General Resort Information--Accessible Room Photo Gallery.

http://allears.net/acc/g_wl3.htm

You'll want to check out the disABILITIES board on the DIS. It's got all the info you're looking for and MUCH much more. The link is; http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

On top there are a few stickies. Check those out first. There is info on there about booking an accessible room and what types are available as there are 2 different types. It'll also inform you about when you need an accessible room or not. It is a big surprise to some, but not all folks using a wheelchair and/or ECV need such a room. Which can result in more options as accessible rooms can and sometimes do run out early. You can read in those stickies what you can expect to be in a regular room and each type of accessible room. You can read what you can request from mousekeeping, maintenance etc. to help out with needs.

There is another sticky with pics of all kinds of accessible rooms at all kinds of resorts. WL is amongst those.

That board will be your gateway to an as accessible Disney and resort as it can ever be.

I was assigned one when I checked in the day before Thanksgiving a few years ago and all the other rooms were occupied. It had a king size bed and lots of room around the bed for navigating in a chair/scooter. The bathroom was huge, with a large roll in shower that had a seat, and a raised toilet with grab bars all around. The bathroom didn't have any doors - you went through an archway to the vanity, which was extra long and wider than the archway. You turned to the left to go to the shower and to the right to the toilet. My room was in the hall just past Roaring Forks, on the ground floor looking out toward the pool.

Ironically enough, I caught the fever and chills flu on that trip (only trip I've been sick at Disney) and that shower seat and the grab bars were a blessing because I was so dizzy I could hardly walk. So everything happens for a reason, even a room assignment that doesn't appear to be anything you would need.

If you ever find yourself in such a pickle again but not an accessible room; you can ask mousekeeping (or maintenance, always forget) for a shower seat. The can be used in any room with a tub, basically changing that tub to a sitdown shower with feet in tub. Can easily be removed so familymembers can still enjoy the tub if desired.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter