Handicapped accesable 2br at SSR?

Disneymommie

<font color=teal>Shares the magic with others<br><
Hi everyone. I have few questions reguarding a 2br dedicated handicapped room. We are traveling with the in laws in Aug. My father in law needs a roll in shower. We requested it and got it. My question is where will the roll in shower be? In the master bath or the second bath? I am assuming there is still a tub since I need that for the kids right?

Also, on my ressie it says"(CMname) from special services blocked (specific room #) dose that mean we have that room already assainged? I have never seen that before on a ressie.

The roll-in will be in the Master bedroom bathroom. You will still have the jacuzzi tub in the Master as well as a tub/shower in the 2nd BR.

Thanks for the answer. I am kind of bummed, that will take away some of our privacy! But I guess there is not much I can do about that.

Has anyone ever had there room number printed on a ressie like I stated before? Thanks

Sorry another question, Is there access to the main bath from the living room? So that we can still use the bedroom while someone is in the bathroom? Do they have to walk thru the bedroom to get to the bathroom is better way to word it? It looks like there are 2 doors in the layout I am looking at in the passporter!

This is our first trip as DVC members and I have lots of crazy questions sorry.

Since your reservation was made thru Special Services (in addition to MS) in order to get the HCA villa assigned, it does have a specific villa already assigned. I've not had one before, so I wasn't aware that the room # is on the confirmation.

Yes, there will be a 2nd access to the bathroom besides thru the bedroom at SSR.

The first 20 buildings at OKW have access only thru the bedroom, but buidings 30-64 at OKW and villas at all other DVC resorts have dual access to the master bath. The new villas coming to Kidani Village at AKV will even have an additional bathroom off the living room - with sink, toilet and shower - besides bathrooms in the Master bedroom and 2nd bedroom.

Thank you for the answers. We are staying at SSR.

I can not wait. As long as we have that second door to the bathroom we will be ok. I did not want to have to wake up earlier because my FIL needed to get in. Awesome. Thanks again.

Since your reservation was made thru Special Services (in addition to MS) in order to get the HCA villa assigned, it does have a specific villa already assigned. I've not had one before, so I wasn't aware that the room # is on the confirmation.
We have had HCA at both SSR and OKW villas and never had the room number listed on the confirmation.
We have a HCA villa reserved for SSR for the beginning of October. When we got the confirmation, it said nothing about it being HCA at all, so I did call MS just to check. The CM checked and said that information was in the computer, but that they no longer are printing anything about HCA on the confirmation.
I also asked about making a request for location. The CM's response was that the room was assigned/blocked for us at the time the reservation was made, but that they don't give out the room number until you check in, just in case of problems that would prevent you from getting that particular room.

The layout of the HCA room at SSR is pretty much the same as a non-accessble room. The biggest differences are the roll in shower (which is where the shower is in the non-HA room) and that there is no snack bar in the kitchen. There is still the table that is right across from the kitchen 'door'. What is missing is a little breakfast bar between the kitchen and the TV armoire.

Sue, in SSR is there not a rollin shower in the studio portion of the 2 BR also? The rollin shower 2 BRs we've had at BCV and VB had rollin showers in both the master and studio portion as well as the jacuzzi tub in the master.

Thank you for all the info! We are so excited for this trip. 44 more days!!!!

(Does anyone know about the second roll in shower?)

Disneymommie, I'll shoot Sue a PM and see if she knows about SSR 2BR. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a roll in shower in the second bath. I think DVC learned that the individual needing the roll in showers might not always be in the MBR. In our case, it's our daughter.

As for reservations, that is interesting that your reservation is listed that way. Our experience has been like Sue's. Our reservation have said "Accessible vacation home confirmed." Reservations made through Disney Reservation Center have always used similar verbiage. I was always told the room was blocked and couldn't be touched but we were never told the room number ahead of time.

This worked fine for us for many years until our May '07 stay at BCV. We were assigned a regular villa despite an accessibel villa being blocked. Luckily there was still one accessible 2BR left and we were reassigned. A couple of other people posted about having trouble around the same time frame. So I think something in the system was broken. It sounds like changes have been made at least in the reservation form.

May I ask when you made your reservation and whether it was through Member Services or Disney Reservation Center?

I made the ressie thru MS and they put me on hold and they talked to special services then came back and told me it was available. When I got my confirmation in the mail I was very surprised to see a room number on it. I figured it was printed on error but was excited to be able to look up what section we were in. I also realize that it may change. I want to say it was SSR # 3510(I do not have the confirmation handy). Thank you for the help on the roll in shower issue, I hope to have the second br with the roll in also, that would make mornings a lot easier!

we stayed in an accessable room last year and have booked for next week. our confirmatin does say accessable vacation home confirmed. it was a 2 bedroom lock-off and the roll in shower was in the master bedroom there was no accessable shower in the studio bit. I to would be interest to hear if there is a roll in shower in the second bedroom instead of the master bedroom as its our DS who needs it and it would mean be and DH wouldnt have to use the living area

Ali, from your signature I take it you were in SSR last year? That is a shame that only the master had a rollin.:sad2:

Or maybe SSR is large enough that there are more configurations than at BCV?

We've stayed three times in HCA villas at SSR, but they were one bedroom lock offs, so I can't verify what was in the studio portion. My guess is that the bathroom in the studio portion in at least some of those also has a roll in shower. They have to have some accessible studios and it would make the most sense for them to be a lock off with a one bedroom; that would allow for the most flexibility.
We have stayed in HCA 2 bedrooms at OKW; in the one we stayed in last March, the 2nd bathroom also had a roll in shower. I don't remember for sure, but I think we had a 2 bedroom at OKW one year that has a bathtub in the studio portion.
BCV23 said:
Or maybe SSR is large enough that there are more configurations than at BCV?
That would make sense because SSR and OKW are both so much bigger than BCV.
In the non-DVC club resorts they have handicapped rooms with raised seat toilets and grab bars in the tub. There are also fully accessible rooms with roll in shower. They would need to have both kinds. I guess what we don't know is how the different 'pieces' are arranged.

Sue thanks for the answer. Looks like we will have to wait and see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter