Handicap Rooms, ECVs and other Questions

My mom has arthritis in her back and also her knee. She usually uses a rollator which is the walkers you see people with that have the wheels and a seat. It is awesome for her, because it has a seat she can use when waiting around at store or other places. She uses it for distances as well. It just makes life easier.

Last summer, we went to Alaska and had planned to use it. She ended up hurting her knee, so we had to find a wheelchair ASAP. We called our cruise line rep, and she gave us two names. We used ScootAround to rent a wheelchair. It worked out great, BUT we had already booked the HA cabin since she needed the HA bathroom and even with the rollator, getting in and out of the cabin with the very narrow door would’ve required us to fold it up while holding open door which would’ve been impossible for her by herself. ScootAround asked several questions including weight to determine right size of wheelchair.

One last thing is my friend who cruises on Disney uses his ECV and says it can fit into the regular rooms, but he brings his own, so it is smaller than some of the others out there.

There are options for sure. I’d probably investigate some of the rental companies and see what they have available. It appears Disney standard stateroom doors are 53cm/23 inches. These companies may have something that would work in a regular room. If not, you may be able to find something you can take with you that would work with those dimensions.

Good luck 🍀

Can anyone comment on Whelchair costs for 7 night? My mom is thinking about one for our next cruise. Thx

Last edited:
The only doors wide enough to accommodate a wheelchair or ECV are those in accessible rooms. Accessible rooms also have an automated door that opens and closes slowly enough to allow enough time to get the device in and out of the room. Standard doors are too narrow and heavy for mobility devices to safely maneuver.
Not always easy in a HA stateroom. My wife and I recently cruised on the Wonder in 7636. She uses a collapsible wheelchair for long distances. The tub/shower combos are the hardest part for her, since she has had one hip replaced and needs to have the other one done. The automated door did not always work. We called maintenance and it worked sometimes after this. Also, the entrance to the stateroom was hard to maneuver the wheelchair thru, since you had to get the angle just right. Most of the time, my wife would just get out of the chair and use her cane.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!