Handicap Parking at the Contemporary

mrsdopey13

Earning My Ears
Anyone else disappointed with the lack of spaces? There are only FIVE!!! We were at Disney for 12 days and that was the ONLY place that didn't do a great job of accomodating us. Just curious...

We've been disappointed and surprised at the limited number and far distance of the handicapped parking spots at the resorts. I think they expect everyone will valet park at the deluxe resorts.

If you have a handicapped tag/parking permit you can valet park for free at the deluxe resorts. This way, you can drive right up to the door and unload. HOWEVER--you are still expected to tip (so not really free) and it's inconvenient when you forgot something in the car. As for the Contemporary, when I last visited, all of the handicapped spots were taken. I drove back around to the valets and explained that all of the spots were taken. They said to park anywhere in the valet area I wanted and be sure to put the tag in the window. I did this and had no problems. The worse place I stayed was recently at a Marriott in VA. They had TWO spots outside the entrance--the rest were in a parking garage at the back of the building. The spots were close to the doors/elevators of the garage but then you had to walk all the way through the hotel to get to the lobby and elevators.

One reason for so few handicapped spots at the CR is that they only have 6 handicapped accessible rooms in the whole resort. Although the rooms are really only needed by people with wheelchairs, I think they forget that people with lots of other disabilities have limited mobility, and need that extra parking space!

Since my wheelchair locks into the "driver's seat" and IS the driver's seat, I can't valet park. It is often an issue, esp. at Boardwalk. I guess not too many people have this problem. ---Kathy

I would imagine that any of the deluxe resorts would provide someone to open the gate to the valet lot for you to park under these circumstances if the is no handicap parking available.

Just wondering, as an aside, what happens when your car (or van) has to go in to a shop for service.

My van was once in the shop to have an EMC system and joystick installed - it took three months! During that time I used a rental van. I worry often about a wheelchair or van malfunction basically leaving me stranded. Once when we were at AKL concierge I asked about low air pressure in my tires since they were nearly flat. I figured there must be a gas station where I could get them fixed. About 15 minutes later two guys with an air compressor showed up in the lounge and filled my tires. I thought that was great service! Once my batteries gave out in my chair midway out of DAK. Two CM's pushed my chair ( sweating and puffing since it's so heavy with lots of attachments) all the way out to the parking lot and up my ramp. I guess if I ever have a major problem, I hope it's at WDW where there is help available. :-)---Kathy

Just went to the Contemporary today to meet a friend and they have vastly increased the handicapped parking spaces in front- there were at least 12 spaces. :-) I forgot to mention also, when those areas are full, there are other accessible spaces in front of the wing rooms, but I hate to take those since I figure someone staying in those nearby rooms would need them. ---Kathy

Kathy,
Had my chair die at All Stars and they did the same thing for me. Pushed me to the room. At AKL Beau or Don noticed my power cord to the controller had been caught and the covering gashed. Got someone from to bring electrical tape and repair it temporarily after they got it uncaught. Then we tied it so it would not be caught again.

Originally posted by Cheshire Figment

Just wondering, as an aside, what happens when your car (or van) has to go in to a shop for service.

If Kathy's wheelchair lock-down is similar to mine, she will have the same lock down mechanism under the front passenger seat so it can be switched to the driver's side for servicing.

Andrew

Thanks for the information. Even with a lot of experience, one can always learn from others.

Remember Walt didn't take wheelchairs and ECVs into consideration when he built the Cont. If he did he would have had the elevators go to the platform for the monorail. There is only an escalator to carry you up the stairs to the platform.

Dan-tot

There is only an escalator to carry you up the
stairs to the platform.
About 5 years ago, they did some renovations on the Contemporary that included an elevator that goes up to the monorail platform so that people who use wheelchairs are able to board and get off the monorail at the Contemporary without leaving their wheelchairs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter