Hair Advice Needed!

DisBride23

Counting the days until I return to the Happiest P
Hi all,

Once again, I am turning to the DIS to calm my fears!;)

I have very thick, curly hair and my wedding is in June. Not the smartest idea, I know. Either way, I'm generally afraid of hairdressers b/c I have had a number of really bad haircuts. So, I wanted to shop around for a hairdresser to make sure that I don't have to deal with my hair on the big day.
After reading the DIS boards (my source for everything!:wave: ) I settled on two different stylists. I called both Lisa from Lisa's Magical Weddings and Ana from Beaute Speciale. I tenatively booked both with the understanding that I would do a trial from each to decide. So far so good...
So last week, I went and had my trial from Lisa. Let me start off by saying that she is one of the nicest people I have ever met! I really enjoyed meeting her! I told her that I wanted my hair curly, and half up half down, if possible. She informed me that it would be IMPOSSIBLE to have my hair even partially down b/c I have difficult hair. ok, I'm flexible, so I said that we could do it up, as long as we maintain a soft, natural, curly look. I love the dramatic looks that other brides do, but it would look silly on me!
Long story short- awful. so bad.:scared1: Even my DF (nicest guy ever) was like "um...please don't do that ever again". It was pulled straight back and curled on the top of my head. At least 6 inches of curls! lol. ok, no big deal. I'll just call Ana. Everything will be ok. I call Ana. She dosn't want to do a trial until the week of my wedding. She said that if I do it now, we can't guarantee that I will have the same hairdresser. Also: no to having it down. It will have to be in a tight bun. great. So, now I'm buggin. Don't know if I should call someone else or what. I'm pretty flexible, I just want to look like myself to my DF!
What should I do? If I had regular hair, I'd be fine with waiting, but mine can be troublesome. But, I know that despite that, it can look great.
Any advice?:headache:

Not sure if you ruled her out, but I used Anna Wacaser from Makeover Majic and she was great. You can check out her website for pictures of different hairstyles, and I know she does trials.

I really understand your problem..I too have really ridiculous thick, curly hair! I used Janet Mednick for my wedding in December and I really loved my hair! I had the sides up and the rest down and curly. Janet does trials and on her website she has some pictures of curly hair brides, with different styles! She also was totally open to doing whatever I wanted with my hair, she was not scared off like some people I contacted because of the whole thick hair thing! The website is onsitebeauty.com My wedding day it was really hot and humid and my hair held up.. no frizz! Hope that helps!:)

Jillian

I really understand your problem..I too have really ridiculous thick, curly hair! I used Janet Mednick for my wedding in December and I really loved my hair! I had the sides up and the rest down and curly. Janet does trials and on her website she has some pictures of curly hair brides, with different styles! She also was totally open to doing whatever I wanted with my hair, she was not scared off like some people I contacted because of the whole thick hair thing! The website is onsitebeauty.com My wedding day it was really hot and humid and my hair held up.. no frizz! Hope that helps!:)

Jillian

Jillian, thanks so much for the tip. I agree, I think that most people are just scared of the idea of wild hair! I'm going to call her now..
Thanks again!
Natalie

I didnt like my hair that Lisa did for me on my wedding day. This says nothing about her character-- very nice lady. The hair was very just thrown up in the easiest, quickest style she could do (even though it wasnt what i requested) and there was so much hairspray (which isnt a bad thing) that my hair looked greasy-- my hair never looks that way.

I have thick hair, real thick hair & my birthmark is in my hair (a curly kinky spot that I have to straighten everyday with a flatiron). I can somewhat understand your frustration. I really hope everything works out for the best and maybe you can get a trial run with someone thats been suggested above. Good Luck:thumbsup2 Let us know how it goes.

I suggest you work on a style with your REGULAR hair stylist before going to one of the others.

I have VERY thick, semi-wavy hair that gets kinda frizzy in the Florida weather. So, I went to Candi, the girls that normally styles my hair, before I worked with one of the stylists mentioned on the board to make sure the style I wanted would work with my hair. I also made sure to take pics when candi did the style, so I could show Lisa Pena exactly what I wanted. In the end, it was perfect. Though, it did take some time on my end....:)

Good luck!

I didnt like my hair that Lisa did for me on my wedding day. This says nothing about her character-- very nice lady. The hair was very just thrown up in the easiest, quickest style she could do (even though it wasnt what i requested) and there was so much hairspray (which isnt a bad thing) that my hair looked greasy-- my hair never looks that way.

I have thick hair, real thick hair & my birthmark is in my hair (a curly kinky spot that I have to straighten everyday with a flatiron). I can somewhat understand your frustration. I really hope everything works out for the best and maybe you can get a trial run with someone thats been suggested above. Good Luck:thumbsup2 Let us know how it goes.

Maggimus: I agree that Lisa is a very nice person, just not the hairdresser for me! ;) But, I did call Janet from onsitebeauty today and she seemed great. She did not seem scared about facing my hair! I've scheduled a trial for the 20th, so hopefully all goes well. Thanks for the help, and i'll post updates!

I suggest you work on a style with your REGULAR hair stylist before going to one of the others.

I have VERY thick, semi-wavy hair that gets kinda frizzy in the Florida weather. So, I went to Candi, the girls that normally styles my hair, before I worked with one of the stylists mentioned on the board to make sure the style I wanted would work with my hair. I also made sure to take pics when candi did the style, so I could show Lisa Pena exactly what I wanted. In the end, it was perfect. Though, it did take some time on my end....:)

Good luck!

Cinderella Fan: I totally agree about going to my regular stylist. Problem with that is, my stylist just moved to Ohio. So, right now, I have no stylist. Since, I'm scared of having a bad cut right before my wedding, I've resolved to just getting tiny trims every so often. (it has been a lot cheaper, too! :woohoo: )
I haven't really been able to find a picture of what i want, but I have some that are close. I'll bring them to my trial with Janet! Thanks for the advice!
:bride:

Wow, now I am panicing too. I am scheduled to have Anna and Debbie do my hair for my wedding, but I was not crazy about my trial. Not to mention that they did not tell me the same person may not be available for my wedding. I liked the idea of the hair do, but you could see bobby pins everywhere.

I also have issues with my hair (thin and fine) that its making me very nervous. I think I am going to go to a local salon and have them do styles until I am satisfied and then take lots of pictures. We should start a thread with just hair styles. Good luck with your hair!

:cutie:

Natalie,
I am so glad you were able to get in touch with Janet! I hope everything works out! Good luck!
Jillian

Thanks Jilian! I'll post pics when I get back from my trial.

HI. I also have curly hair too and I am a hairdresser. If you find a person who really knows how to do hair,you can have your hair half up half down. You can do anything with curly hair. What they would do is blow dry your hair straigt/flatiron then curl it to how you want it. Trust me its possible you just have to find someone who knows what they are doing.

Oh god, I'm really worried now. I have long thick, wavy hair that I straighten all the time. I don't want my hair in a bun cause I never wear my hair like that. I have scheduled BeauteSpeciale to do my hair and make up and I was hoping for either completely down or an up hair do, but nothing severe, I was thinking tousled waves. I do not suit my hair completely back, it looks way to severe on me. Surely they have the products to be able to do as we ask? I mean if I can do my hair like this myself it must be easier for them to do it, they have better hair products!

yikes... I have really thick curly hair as well, and I just wanted to wear it half-up and curly... I'm wondering if I should just do it myself. Right now I have Beaute Speciale booked

Oh god, I'm really worried now. I have long thick, wavy hair that I straighten all the time. I don't want my hair in a bun cause I never wear my hair like that. I have scheduled BeauteSpeciale to do my hair and make up and I was hoping for either completely down or an up hair do, but nothing severe, I was thinking tousled waves. I do not suit my hair completely back, it looks way to severe on me. Surely they have the products to be able to do as we ask? I mean if I can do my hair like this myself it must be easier for them to do it, they have better hair products!

Don't stress out. I have long thick wavy hair like yours and all I did was straighten it out and then had Anna at Makeovermajic do half-up half-down with curls and it turned out great. There should be no need to throw your hair in a bun unless you want to. I'm sure it will turn out fabulous. My hair did not move until I took out my tiara. I love hair products that make my hair stay.

Ok, I had the Disney people do my hair, not sure if they still offer the cosmetolgy services. We I guess the stylist assumed I had an unlimited bank account cause we were staying at the Grand Floridian. She was not happy about the Great tip I gave her, it apparantly wasnt enough. It was the most akward sp? moment ever. But I refused to allow it to ruin my day. I should have complained, but never did afterwards!:( It really left a bad taste in my mouth, and I could not recommend their services to anyone having a Fairytale Wedding!

Hello all! So sorry if I caused anyone to panic over their hair!

So, as a recap:

I had my first hair trial, and hated it. It's not that my hair looked bad. It just did not look good. Also, it looked completely opposite to what I had asked for.
On to hair trial #2...
Yesterday, I had my trial with Janet of On site beauty. Much better. She left my hair half down. But, she straightened my hair first ;) then curled it. I'm MUCH happier! Thanks so much for all of your input/advice/support!! I'm so relieved! I'll post pics when I get them from my MOH (thank GOD she went with me!)
:bride: Natalie

Do some of these hairdressers have a website... I would like to see some of there work:surfweb:

I have super thick curly hair that frizzes in the humidity, too. I went with Rex from Disney cosmetology, and he did a great job. My hair held up and looked awesome! Unfortunately, I've read some bad reviews on the boards about him, but it's just something to keep in mind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter