Hagrid’s Early Morning Reliability

PrincessWithABlaster

DIS Veteran
So of the 3 days we’ve been here Hagrid’s has been delayed at park opening 2 of the days. The first day could have been because of the IO meetup the night before (they knew it was delayed until park open at the start of the line). But overall, dragging the kids out of bed for early entry has been a bust. The day we didn’t get up was the only day it was actually running. I don’t know if this has been typical lately but if you’re hoping for a ride first thing you may want to manage expectations.

Your best bet for Hagrids is to get in line before the park closes. I have also had luck around or right after lunch time. You may try going during the Macy's parade, too.
Generally you’re right but they also closed it early at 6 pm Sat (8 pm park close) so you can get bit by that too. Best to have a plan A, B, and C.

So of the 3 days we’ve been here Hagrid’s has been delayed at park opening 2 of the days. The first day could have been because of the IO meetup the night before (they knew it was delayed until park open at the start of the line). But overall, dragging the kids out of bed for early entry has been a bust. The day we didn’t get up was the only day it was actually running. I don’t know if this has been typical lately but if you’re hoping for a ride first thing you may want to manage expectations.
I agree and we never bother rope dropping Hagrid’s that early because it is often delayed in the early morning. (That and we’d have to be at the front of the pack which requires about an hour before early park admission). We visit almost monthly and almost every trip I notice it listed as ‘Delayed’ for at least one of the two mornings we’re there.

We’ve had better luck early afternoon but now and then it’s just crazy busy at all times of the day.

Hoping you are able to get on it though sometime during your trip!

Last edited:

I was there yesterday too. It didn’t help either that Velocicoaster was down for about three hours in the morning too. We got in line for that at 8:30 and waited until 10:30 before leaving without riding. We’re about to leave this morning and hope to ride at least one.

I agree and we never bother rope dropping Hagrid’s that early because it is often delayed in the early morning. (That and we’d have to be at the front of the pack which requires about an hour before early park admission). We visit almost monthly and almost every trip I notice it listed as ‘Delayed’ for at least one of the two mornings we’re there.

We’ve had better luck early afternoon but now and then it’s just crazy busy at all times of the day.

We waited it out in the morning. So we did get on it. But I think in Jan over 4 days we rode 5 or 6 times. Definitely not happening this trip.
I was there yesterday too. It didn’t help either that Velocicoaster was down for about three hours in the morning too. We got in line for that at 8:30 and waited until 10:30 before leaving without riding. We’re about to leave this morning and hope to ride at least one.
Yup. Yesterday was a cluster. RRR was down most of the day on a good weather day (bad weather the day before is understandable), Velocicoaster and Hagrid’s were both down for substantial periods of time in both the morning and afternoon/evening. At one point all 3 were down at the same time for at least an hour. Waiting for Hagrid’s until park close would have been a bad move. After being down for hours it was at a 3 hour wait an hour and a half before park close. And that was the nice weather day this week. It feels like Universal has been cost cutting on ride maintenance. I’ve never seen it this bad. To have both flagship coasters and 1 of 2 other big coasters all down together. Crazy.

So for anyone’s going in near future, I agree with @wdwrule that afternoon at this point is best for Hagrid’s. Plan to spend two hours sometime in the afternoon. Have the app alert you when it’s two or less and ride then.

We waited it out in the morning. So we did get on it. But I think in Jan over 4 days we rode 5 or 6 times. Definitely not happening this trip.

Yup. Yesterday was a cluster. RRR was down most of the day on a good weather day (bad weather the day before is understandable), Velocicoaster and Hagrid’s were both down for substantial periods of time in both the morning and afternoon/evening. At one point all 3 were down at the same time for at least an hour. Waiting for Hagrid’s until park close would have been a bad move. After being down for hours it was at a 3 hour wait an hour and a half before park close. And that was the nice weather day this week. It feels like Universal has been cost cutting on ride maintenance. I’ve never seen it this bad. To have both flagship coasters and 1 of 2 other big coasters all down together. Crazy.

So for anyone’s going in near future, I agree with @wdwrule that afternoon at this point is best for Hagrid’s. Plan to spend two hours sometime in the afternoon. Have the app alert you when it’s two or less and ride then.
Glad you made it on it! We’ve noticed the last two trips that the waits for Hagrid’s have been consistently higher than previous trips. It is frustrating when multiple headliner rides are down at the same time. We’ve experienced that on occasion… especially during the morning hours.

And down again this morning. That makes it 25/75 for our park days. As much as I didn’t like it in Jan when they took it out of early entry, at least it was better knowing.

EDIT: It is running, they had the app wrong (said it opened at 9).

Last edited:

IS there a way of finding out a day or two in advance whether it will be delayed? Or is only day-off notice?

Plus it's Thanksgiving week! This is really bad PR and management.

Agree! I think it's the Test track of Universal. (Test Track has never been open for us when we rope drop it!) Our Oct, 2021 trip, first day-open, got on easily. second day, delayed-went elsewhere. March, 2022. delayed, but we waited, and it was running in about 20 mins. June, didn't bother. Oct, 2022- Delayed, but we were going to Velocicoaster anyway, but the Hagrids closure meant VC had longer wait at rope drop. Anyway, that's about 3 of 4 days that we took note
Sorry y'all had that happen. Glad y'all got on. That's so crazy that all big coasters down, and no weather issues. That would definitely be a big bummer.

I had a rain day and got to ride it three times back to back (the 2nd and 3rd time was single rider) all of the waits were under 30 minutes with a posted wait time of 60-90 minutes. If it's lightly raining jump in line!!!!!

We had much better luck this morning. Left the hotel (RPR) at 6:45, we’re at IOA gates around 7:05 and we’re about 5 people back. Went straight to Hagrids at opening even though the app said it wasn’t opening until 9; we were on it by 8:10! Then straight to Velocicoaster; app and sign said 45 minutes but we waited just about 25. Great to get both those two out of the way before 9! Then did a lot more rides with Express Pass and no waits, and headed back to the hotel for a lunch break by 11:45.

We had much better luck this morning. Left the hotel (RPR) at 6:45, we’re at IOA gates around 7:05 and we’re about 5 people back. Went straight to Hagrids at opening even though the app said it wasn’t opening until 9; we were on it by 8:10! Then straight to Velocicoaster; app and sign said 45 minutes but we waited just about 25. Great to get both those two out of the way before 9! Then did a lot more rides with Express Pass and no waits, and headed back to the hotel for a lunch break by 11:45.
Great news! Glad this worked out. Hard to read all the down times

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter