Had ADRs. Did Eat. . .Well! Part I

sleepydog25

Been here awhile
Here's the scoop. If you want to hear about Brown Derby, Le Cellier, 1900 Park Fare (dinner), and Artist Point, then this is your thread. If none of these strike your fancy, then run away as fast as you can! Seriously. Go. Go away. ;)

You know, part of the joy I have in visiting Walt's World is sampling the food. But, I gotta tell you that I was a bit apprehensive about a couple of the ADRs we had made based on comments by a few, primarily regarding Le Celar. . .umm, La Cellar. . .no, er, Le Silly. . .no, no, no. . .well, that place in EPCOT's Canada and (Party Like It's) 1900 Park Fare (or Fair, Faire, Fairy, take your choice). Bear with me, oh ye of little faith, as I extol the virtues of all our dining pleasures.

Day 1: This is a bonus review. We stayed at VWL, per our usual desires, and this was our "travel to" day. We opted to check out the newly refurbished Roaring Forks grill. The eat-in area is much the same, but the food selection/purchase side was much cleaner, more efficient, and more organized than the previous RF incarnation. We tried two of their sandwiches: the roast beef on foccacia w/bleu cheese and the turkey on a honey oatmeal, whole grain bread with brie. First off, someone slipped a "mickey" to the pricing czar as these two cold sandwich entries weighed in at a mere $6.79 and $6.49, respectively. Now, we're not talking itty bitty sandwiches here, folks. My roast beef sandwich was round and the size of a dessert plate, piled high with medium-cooked roast beef and lots of bleu cheese. The turkey choice was even taller (maybe 4"-5") and was the size of a quarter slice of a pie plate. Both were tasty, and by Disney standards, dirt cheap. Slap those together with the magic wells of the endless mug o' soda, and you had an excellent meal for a decent price. Oh, and our 5-yr old daughter gives a huge thumbs up to the chicken nuggets which actually came with carrot sticks for a bit of healthy eating. Roaring Forks: pirate: pirate: pirate: (Three "YO-HOs" out of a possible four)
Day 2: Good lord! Could Disney-MGM have been any more crowded? But, I digress (full report on the parks for our trip forthcoming in a different forum). We had decided to do FANTASMIC! this night and made our Brown Derby ADR accordingly for 5:50 p.m. We arrived 15 mins early and waited perhaps 10 minutes beyond our ADR before being seated. Overall, BD remains a place we enjoy a lot. The service was a bit slow at first (we weren't even approached for five minutes), but was good once our server got into the swing of things with us. No, we weren't swinging with her. I mean, she didn't even dance on the table or anything. Oh, never mind. . . Let's see. Wifey ventured out with the mixed field greens salad which was quite fresh and good, while I opted for the crabcake which was excellent. The mini-mom (DD5) started with chicken soup which, to be fair, wasn't as good as I make at home. Too much celery, not enough chicken.

Course two consisted of the filet for the love of my life, the ever present mac and cheese for the other love of my life, and the grilled ahi tuna (medium rare) for me. The filet was fork tender and perfectly cooked while my tuna was likewise perfectly seared and served with a wonderful soy reduction sauce and fresh ginger. Miss Curly Sue gave an enthusiastic thumbs up to the M & C. Big surprise. As for dessert, the pint-sized princess did the treasure hunt and thought the gummy worms were to die for. Mom had some sort of chocolate sailboat thingie that was very good and very cool to look at. I had not tried the signature grapefruit cake before, so did this night. I liked it, but was a bit perplexed that it didn't actually taste much like grapefruit. It was light, not too tart, not too sweet, but not too grapefruity, either. Coffee and tea were afterthoughts and both were above average. In sum, wifey thought the filet was of melt-in-your-mouth quality and the tuna was very good. Brown Derby: pirate: pirate: pirate: :thumbsup2

Coming in Part II: The dish on Le Cellier, 1900 Park Fare, & Artist Point, plus a deconstructionist's view of Ernest Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea. . .

P.S. I failed to mention that the sesame-seared tuna came with wasabi mashed potatoes. My only complaint regarding the tuna dish is that it didn't actually come with wasabi, the sinus opening ambrosia of the gods. K and K's Mommy has an excellent pic of the dish in her own review of BD.

Great reviews! We ate at Roaring Foarks, Brown Derby and Artist Point also! Yes, MGM was crowded! We were there for a Star Wars weekend so I expected it! and yes again, the sandwiches at Roaring Forks are huge! My DH and I split a tasty ham one.

Thank you so much for the lengthy Brown Derby review! My mouth was watering until I got to the part where you compared wasabi to "sinus opening ambrosia of the gods." Snort! ROFL!!!

--Bay

Enjoyed reading your review ~ Thanx for sharing.

Part II is posted and Part III will be following in the next 24 hours. Thanks for all the kind comments so far.
My mouth was watering until I got to the part where you compared wasabi to "sinus opening ambrosia of the gods." Snort! ROFL!!!
But it's true, is it not!? :rotfl:

Great review!

I completely agree with your review of the child's chicken noodle soup-way too much celery (and onion). My DD loves chicken noodle soup but wouldn't touch this stuff. She did however LOVE the Mac & Cheese-a really nice homemade version - not the overly cheesy stuff you find most often at WDW.

Going to read part II....

Thanks for your review. We love Brown Derby and do it every trip. This Oct in an effort to try "different" places (we have too many must-dos) we opted not to eat dinner at Brown Derby this trip. Then, feeling sad about it, we made an ADR for lunch there. :)

sleepydog25 said:
We had decided to do FANTASMIC! this night and made our Brown Derby ADR accordingly for 5:50 p.m.

I love HBD (although my other half was less impressed), but didn't make reservations for our trip in December for fear we'd be rushed and miss Fantasmic (as we did last year). Did you make it? What time was the show?

BTW, you've stolen my sense of humor. Give it back.

DaddyBrady said:
I love HBD (although my other half was less impressed), but didn't make reservations for our trip in December for fear we'd be rushed and miss Fantasmic (as we did last year). Did you make it? What time was the show?

BTW, you've stolen my sense of humor. Give it back.
The show was at 9 p.m. (there was another at 10, though the pkg. times are all for the 9 o'clock show), so we had plenty of time given our ADR of 5:50. We even had to kill some time after dinner, so we wandered over to "autograph alley" and stumbled into Sorcerer Mickey signing autographs and taking pics in his room near the character trailers. Between that and a quick whirl through the animation attraction hosted by the dragon from Mulan, we wasted enough time to leisurely stroll to FANTASMIC!. FYI, WalMart was having a sale on humor for $29.95 a few months ago, but I chose a local mom-and-pop store's version instead. Cost me an extra $5, but it was worth it to help the local economy. ;)

Slap those together with the magic wells of the endless mug o' soda,
you know these are good ‘til 2042 right?? ;)

…good once our server got into the swing of things with us. No, we weren't swinging with her. I mean, she didn't even dance on the table or anything. Oh, never mind. . .
for some strange reason I got a big laugh out of this. Must be that mom and pop store humor. You do realize I have been know to dance on a table or two. Just sayin’. :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter