Gulf State Park DIS Meet 2019 (Episode 4)

Hey did anyone see the NCAA Beach Volleyball Championship this weekend on tv from Gulf Shores? Right there on the public beach at the T near The Hangout and Pink Pony?

https://www.gulfshores.com/event-categories/tourism-sporting-events/ncaa-beach-volleyball/

It was an all Cali final but UCLA beat USC.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la-sp-ucla-ncaa-beach-volleyball-champions-20190505-story.html

Sports tourism is part of the strategic plan for the Gulf Shores and Orange Beach area. OB has the SEC soccer in the fall (most recent link here):

http://www.secsports.com/article/11037811/championships-soccer

Foley over by the OWA amusement park are building multiple baseball and soccer fields for kids. What's better than going to a sports tournament that Junior (he or she) Kiddo is competing that's also conveniently near the beach? Take the family, rent a condo, stay several days and spend aggressively. You could go to a tournament at city-with-fields-annd-lights-inland but doesn't sun, sand, surf, and shrimp sound much better? Catch a couple sports that compete in different times of the year and you could have a year-round merry-go-round of visitors competing and spending. But hey, it's just an idea....

DD is down at Gulf Shores today with 40-50 of her college buddies from church. Left early this morning for two nights/three days of fun. Four girls to a room, four guys to their OWN room (see what you have to look forward to, tiggerdad?) Coming back late Tuesday. Weather should be nice for her highs in the low 80s.

I gave her $100 in food money (she paid her own gas/hotel portion) and I told her to have a good time "... but not TOO good". :lmao: She knows that her mom and me can track her cell phone location on a map thanks to the AT&T service I pay for. Her momma will be up at 2am tonight checking where she is, I can guarantee. GARE.UN.TEE.

Of course, between now and when we all arrive the Gulf Shore public beach area at The Hangout will sponsor The Hangout Festival with musical acts on multiple stages across several days. Expect the usual underage drinking, public weeing, pot smoking (I never), trashed hotel/condo rooms, cars EVERYWHERE, kids trying to sleep in cars (a popo :cool2: nono :sad2:) while the promoters set it up, take their money, and then tear it town. And pay the city.

I'm not cynical. Just feeling old. Seen it (done it, been there). Allegedly. :rolleyes1

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Good deal Joe, sounds like a plan. Let me cook the corn on that meal. I hear the pellets are good grills.

You know, with the DW going North we gents could look into a little tour over to the Florida-Alabama line. I hear there is a run down trash hole of a joint over there that supposedly has a neat name for where it is located. :rolleyes1

Of course we'll need to find something for the ladies to do. Maybe they'd enjoy the alligator farm in Foley? I could let youngest DD be a guide.

Trying to remember if DW knows my login here on the Dis...

On second thought, scratch that idea. Let's just go to Lambert's instead.

You can buy some lottery tickets just across the state line, tiggerdad, at the aforementioned establishment. That's my retirement plan strategy....

Ed,

Interesting tourism plan. It's hard to go wrong with sports.

I hope DD has fun and doesn't have too much "fun". I have been watching all the festivals and events leading up to Memorial weekend, but then nothing when we arrive. I guess they don't need to do anything to attract people on a holiday week, but it would be nice to give all those people something special to do.

Michael- I'm pretty sure we will be making a visit to said establishment. Now that DS is 21, he has found an interest in checking out the local places. DW will also happily accompany us. Don't worry. I'm pretty sure she and Stacy don't talk... much.

j

Link to the web page of the Pink Pony Pub (next to the Hangout on the Gulf Shores Public Beach) webcam.

It has a live view and as I post this the weather looks beautiful.

Appears they are taking down the stuff from the volleyball championship this afternoon.

http://www.bamabeachcams.com/pinkponypub.aspx

ED

PS - yellow flag surf conditions

i am posting this on the GSP thread because most of you heard this story. While we are quite sad on the one year ago yesterday we lost yeti. My facebook reminds at this time that 5 years ago today was the BUNNY incident. So while it is sad, i constantly laugh about my memory as i think of the bunny incident. For those that have not heard the story, ask me at GSP, it is much better when told verses read.

I remember the bunny story. I just wished I could of actually been there and seen the faces.

Good memories, that is the important thing to remember.

Camping at GSP right now and the weather is beautiful. Thought I would provide a few updates for those of you who are anxiously awaiting the Dis meet up. Camping on Gator Road and the wifi signal I was able to get here last fall has disappeared. Will have to check out the signal in the laundry room this week. The self pay parking at the pavilion is in service now but the same procedure for campers is still in place. All you need is the GSP reservation card on the dash.

WIFI anywhere except the check-in building and the pool-store-laundry triangle would all be suspect I assume.

Thanks for the update, rocketmom.

Oh and if you see my DD down there (she was eating dinner at Original Oyster House on Hwy 59 about an hour ago) tell her to be careful coming home tomorrow. You're a mom so I know you know how to use that tone of voice. :p

It looks like you are having good weather down there right now.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Link to the web page of the Pink Pony Pub (next to the Hangout on the Gulf Shores Public Beach) webcam.

It has a live view and as I post this the weather looks beautiful.

Appears they are taking down the stuff from the volleyball championship this afternoon.

http://www.bamabeachcams.com/pinkponypub.aspx

ED

PS - yellow flag surf conditions

Spent all afternoon watching that championship in earnest to see who won.

Camping at GSP right now and the weather is beautiful. Thought I would provide a few updates for those of you who are anxiously awaiting the Dis meet up. Camping on Gator Road and the wifi signal I was able to get here last fall has disappeared. Will have to check out the signal in the laundry room this week. The self pay parking at the pavilion is in service now but the same procedure for campers is still in place. All you need is the GSP reservation card on the dash.

I remember rolling in last year on the Thursday prior to Memorial Day weekend. Place about half empty. Wi-fi was actually not too bad at my site #18. By the next night the place was full and the wi-fi was non-existant.

Thanks Rocketmom for the update. Sounds like it's still about the same.

:sunny:
WIFI anywhere except the check-in building and the pool-store-laundry triangle would all be suspect I assume.

Thanks for the update, rocketmom.

Oh and if you see my DD down there (she was eating dinner at Original Oyster House on Hwy 59 about an hour ago) tell her to be careful coming home tomorrow. You're a mom so I know you know how to use that tone of voice. :p

It looks like you are having good weather down there right now.

Bama Ed
Yes I do know how to use the MOM voice. I still use it sometimes on my rocket scientist daughter :rolleyes: The weather is indeed beautiful right now

Last edited:
How I see Ed right now...
View attachment 399236
A few years ago, my dad tried to get me to signup so he could "see" where I was. Something 360 app. I chose to decline. Not that I'm trying to hide anything, but I'm in my 50s. My dad is 88. The need for my parents to monitoring my activities stopped a few decades ago.

j

Yes!

Looks like I'll be rolling in on the 23rd so I'll be missing the Memorial Day traffic coming in. This is my usual plan and I was worried I'd have to wait until Friday due to youngest DD's school schedule but it seems we are going to be in the clear to head on down.

i-love-it-when-a-plan-comes-together-gif-6.gif

Ya'll please check out my thread on the main Camping Board regarding the 2020 October DISMeet at the Fort.

I need some feedback so if you are considering going, please weigh in over there.

ED

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter