Gulf Coast beach resorts in January?!

Debs Hill

DIS Veteran
Hi guys! I would love to hear from anyone who has been to the Gulf Coast beach resorts in January...what is the weather like? Warm enough to swim in the sea?

Also, would love to hear more generally from anyone who has been to Clearwater, St Petes or Sanibel? The good, the bad and the ugly!
Many thanks
Debsx:hug:

We usually spend January in Bradenton where our nearest beaches are on Anna Marie Island. Temperatures vary a great deal with many days warm enough for sunbathing at around 75F to 80F (we once got to 86F in January 2006) and can get as low as 50F if the wind is from the north. It is generally dry but, unlike summer, when it does rain it tends to persist for some time. The sea is cool but very good for active swimming. I find the sea temperature in summer to be too hot, not at all refreshing, so the winter months are great.
A lot of attractions and restaurants are busy because it is the snowbird season but there is plenty to do what with museums, art galleries, theatres. country parks and, of course, shopping. Because the temperature is lower it is much more pleasant to walk longer distances.
I usually plug the manatee viewing at Apollo Beach power station (http://www.tampaelectric.com/manatee/ ) but it really is worth going and the manatees, 200 to 300, are only there when the weather is cool.

We are heading over there at the end of the month and one new thing we are trying is a five day Royal Caribbean cruise out of Fort Lauderdale but you can get other cruises from Tampa or Port Canaveral as well. They are very good value for money as you have no airfare to worry about and you can get to a few Central American ports whilst enjoying the food and the shows. If this upcoming trip is successful we may do it again in January.

ford family

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter