Guest satisfaction surveys

Last cruise the topics was so bad that it was the only complaint we put on survey. Retail associates have the same issue. They are required to get a certain amount of credit card applications per shifts or could lose their jobs :( seen many good people fired for it.

We just got off of our first cruise on the Wonder. I agree with what has been stated by many previously, the service WAS excellent, my only complaint was the almost near constant reminder of that for the surveys, including being stopped randomly when I was rushing out of Cabanas with bowls in my hands and held for minutes while hearing the speech yet again....:headache:

I also agree with what has been stated by many in this thread! Our service was indeed excellent! But the constant survey reminders became a turn-off. Our server went so far as to tell us that his life/career hindered on his being rated excellent. We assured him over and over that we would give excellent ratings, and how much we appreciated his service. We almost felt sorry for him and how desperate he seemed. Honestly, he was wonderful, as was the assistant and also our room attendant. Everyone deserved and received excellent ratings! Just wish they'd give an initial speech and then maybe a reminder on our last day.

We got off the Dream yesterday and had the best servers we've had in the past 7 cruises. The head server was able to let us know she wants her service to be excellent, but it wasn't in an annoying way. She proved it too by getting us the Grand Marnier souffle all three nights it was made. She was telling us that when they don't get excellent, then they receive more training. She was one of the trainers for the newbies.

We were on the Fantasy in October and experienced the same. Every single dinner in the MDR, it was reiterated that the service should be excellent and is there any reason why we wouldn't give them an excellent rating. It was overkill. I was really actually quite peeved about it by the end of the week. Service was good and I wouldn't complain about anything other than them asking me repeatedly if there was any reason why I wouldn't give them an excellent rating. Then they'd move to my husband and ask him. It felt very fake and scripted.
One reason the following was added to the survey (about 2-3 years ago):
excellent.jpg

It's important to answer honestly on the survey, as, as noted, DCL can't fix what they don't know is broken.

**** THIS POSTING IS MEANT FOR A GIGGLE ****:laughing:

3c42d9ac64af1129f2ef7e790f3fca54.jpg
:laughing:

......and so about 6 years ago, I was at dinner on DCL when one of the Wait Staff approached our table and asked one of the people at our table, "How is everything?"

and........
that Person replied, "Everything is Fine."

OMG:scared1:

...... I just slunked (is that even a word??? SLUNKED?) ;) .....down in my chair and tried to be as small as possible.....

cuz -
SURE ENOUGH ....:scratchin

here came the "EXCELLENT" WORD CHOICE 'SPEECH' by that Wait staff person......

So...
I figure this time while on board DCL in October
i will have a slight so to speak

Bill and Ted as well as Wayne and Garth accent
while invoking "THAT WORD";)
c39459f055b177e0af9a68350b63aae0.jpg

...So the Staff will know that they can relax,
CHILL OUT
.... thus allowing me to feel more comfortable in "tapping and go" via my wrist band......throughout my day -:woohoo:

yes, imo DCL is a fantastic way to vacation ..... its just yes - i too agree - hearing "that speech" over and over gets a little old after a while - hence the reason why I am trying this approach to see where it gets me......

but.....
will promise ta post on my below listed TR the reactions of people as I have fun WITH 'THAT WORD while at dinner or what not......"popcorn::

T.T.F.N.
&
CHEERS Y'ALL:santa:

I’ve learned to deal with the “excellent” speech up front. The first time the server starts in, I note that we’ve been on many cruises and that we understand the importance of rating them fairly. I indicate that we will let them know if anything is not to our liking and indicate that getting that speech more than once is at the top of my “don’t like” list. Haven’t had a repeat of the speech on any cruise since. We always recognize excellent service on the evaluation forms and as additional cash on top of our prepaid gratuities in the envelopes that we distribute on the last night.

This is how I've handled it too. I make sure to say Excellent first and let them know we will bring up any issues and they've been respectful about dropping it from their patter afterwards.

I also agree with what has been stated by many in this thread! Our service was indeed excellent! But the constant survey reminders became a turn-off. Our server went so far as to tell us that his life/career hindered on his being rated excellent. We assured him over and over that we would give excellent ratings, and how much we appreciated his service. We almost felt sorry for him and how desperate he seemed. Honestly, he was wonderful, as was the assistant and also our room attendant. Everyone deserved and received excellent ratings! Just wish they'd give an initial speech and then maybe a reminder on our last day.

Our server on our first cruise said this too! He flat out said he would be fired if the rating was not excellent. I guess I am in the minority, but I actually did not think our server and assistant server were excellent. Nothing big--a couple of orders came out incorrectly cooked and our server did not check on them in time for them to be replaced, drinks were not refilled, and he misinformed us that only option for breakfast on debarkation day was the MDR at 6:45 am when we actually would have much preferred Cabanas. But I don't want him to lose his job for goodness sake! So I just didn't fill out the survey, because I wasn't going to lie about it either.

Our server on our second cruise was amazing. He entertained our kids with magic tricks, brought a bowl of cherries when one on my kids said how much he loved them, made mickey mouses out of ketchup, brought out special dishes for us to try, and was all around very attentive and nice, and didn't give us the excellent speech once--I guess he knew he didn't need it ;) Sure enough, he got an excellent rating and a very good tip and I sought out the the head waiter to complement our server.

Bottom line, a truly excellent server does not need a speech to be recognized for his or her efforts.

We were just on the Magic and at Rapunzel's Royal Table, near the end of our show our server gave me this speech, during the show. I was enjoying the show and didn't want to hear it. We were sitting literally right next to Commodore Tom, I thought maybe they wouldn't do that right in front of him.

The thing about this is, when they beg for excellent ratings and we give it because we feel bad for them, it has a non-truthful effect on the survey results. Some portion of people give excellent rating when they didn't actually get excellent service. It sure fells like to me that they are asking us to lie on the survey results. Then they put the responsibility on us to some degree by telling us to make sure we tell them if the service wasn't excellent. I'm just not doing that, I'm on vacation and want to relax, not complain. If the service is bad, we just skip dinner some or all of the rest of the nights. I really wish they would back off on this.

We were just on the Magic and at Rapunzel's Royal Table, near the end of our show our server gave me this speech, during the show. I was enjoying the show and didn't want to hear it. We were sitting literally right next to Commodore Tom, I thought maybe they wouldn't do that right in front of him.

The thing about this is, when they beg for excellent ratings and we give it because we feel bad for them, it has a non-truthful effect on the survey results. Some portion of people give excellent rating when they didn't actually get excellent service. It sure fells like to me that they are asking us to lie on the survey results. Then they put the responsibility on us to some degree by telling us to make sure we tell them if the service wasn't excellent. I'm just not doing that, I'm on vacation and want to relax, not complain. If the service is bad, we just skip dinner some or all of the rest of the nights. I really wish they would back off on this.

I think your last point is a really valid one too. Everyone keeps saying complain if you have issues, but I don’t like to complain, and I shouldn’t have to on vacation. And what is the manager going to do? All they can do is either tell of our waiter, which will be super awkward the rest of the trip, or switch us to a new waiter, and then I would feel awkward knowing I probably cost the first waiter his job, and the second waiter might worry I am a picky customer and will turn on him, and will likely be overworked by having to pick up an extra table. It all seems very unpleasant.

We have heard the "excellent speech" too many times to count after 17 cruises.
We are platinum cruisers, we wear our lanyards to dinner 99% of the time, so the servers know this.
BUT they still give the same speech. I have been tempted to say, "Yes, we know we have done this before". But I can't be rude to them because they work so darn hard, so we just sit and listen, my husband gives them a thumb's up and tells them everything is excellent.

No one is getting "told off" if a guest goes to a manager about a problem (often can be resolved very easily by simply telling your server what is wrong - but if you're not seeing them, that is what the head waiter is for). Will they have a discussion? Yes. But "counseling" on Disney is done professionally and constructively. It's through that that they improve.

They are amazing at what they do, but the servers are not mind readers and cannot know what is going on unless you tell them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter