Guess What I'm Reading...

AndyMcV

DIS Veteran
Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination

Wow, a tonne of detail about Walt and his life. It's a must read for any fan of Walt and what he's done.

I haven't heard of this book. Who is the author? Did you get this at the library or at a book store? Is it recently published?

I haven't heard of this book. Who is the author? Did you get this at the library or at a book store? Is it recently published?

It was written by Neal Gabler and was published Oct 2006. I bought the book from Chapters (in Canada) a couple of weeks ago as I wanted to take a while to read it.

I have this book sitting at home on the shelf. I was so excited to get it but I think the size is intimidating me just a bit!

Wow, it looks like pretty good on amazon. I will definitly try and grab it next time I'm at the bookstore. Thanks for mentioning!

I read it last year and really enjoyed it. It's a fair treatment of Walt Disney. I heard his daughter wasn't too happy with it, particularly the information on her parent's marriage. It didn't seem out of line, but children observe their parents' lives differently than outsiders, so it's understandable she might not care for it.

I read it last year and really enjoyed it. It's a fair treatment of Walt Disney. I heard his daughter wasn't too happy with it, particularly the information on her parent's marriage. It didn't seem out of line, but children observe their parents' lives differently than outsiders, so it's understandable she might not care for it.

You're right. Shortly after it was released, Diane Disney Miller, Walt's surviving daughter, sent a fax to a number of executives at the Walt Disney Company denouncing the book as "a monstrous piece of libelous junk." She went on to write:

"My parents were not the people he creates in this book, and I cannot understand why all of you who aided and abetted Gabler in writing this book, and who praise it and promote it, can do so without suffering serious qualms."​

Numerous factual errors have also been found in the book. But I think it's still a pretty good read, despite its flaws. :)

What, in particular, was Walt's daughter upset about? Or should I buy it on half.com and read for myself????;)

I've moved this one over to the Theme Parks Community Board.

Thanks,

Knox

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter