Guarantee Status vs. IGT/OGT/VGT

Is there anyone who's been on a Europe cruise already this summer who has done an upgrade at boarding time? Any idea what the increase from level to level is? IGT to OGT to OGT to VGT? Realizing those would be definite rooms at that point.

We have our first VGT cabin for Disney Dream July 28. Once a cabin is assigned it seemed people go to a desk to ask for an upgrade. Is this the check in desk at the port or another desk at port or do they mean guest services desk on the ship? Not sure if we would even need this, but might be fun to ask for an upgrade. We are platinum and have always had an assigned cabin before, never did the VGT route, but this time the rate was too good to ignore.

We have our first VGT cabin for Disney Dream July 28. Once a cabin is assigned it seemed people go to a desk to ask for an upgrade. Is this the check in desk at the port or another desk at port or do they mean guest services desk on the ship? Not sure if we would even need this, but might be fun to ask for an upgrade. We are platinum and have always had an assigned cabin before, never did the VGT route, but this time the rate was too good to ignore.

keep in mind, these are not free upgrades. Some folks don’t like their assignment and are willing to pay more money to change them. I’ve done many VGT bookings and I’ve always kept my room assigned. It does force me to try a different location. I always find something positive about it. However, my next few cruises I booked OGT (oceanview). There are not a lot of choices, so my opinion may change. I’ve booked OV in the past and like deck 2 because the location is very convenient. So would be fine there.

I tried to search this thread but coming up blank. I've been playing around with pricing out a VGT option on an upcoming cruise, but I need two rooms. If I go on the DCL site, it offers me the first room VGT but then not the second. Doesn't matter if I make the first room my 3 person or my 2 person, second room never sees VGT offer. I'm assuming this is just a website issue? If I go through a travel agent, they'll be able to book me two VGT? I don't want to bother an agent until I'm serious about booking, but it's obnoxious that I can't get my own quote without searching each room separately...

I tried to search this thread but coming up blank. I've been playing around with pricing out a VGT option on an upcoming cruise, but I need two rooms. If I go on the DCL site, it offers me the first room VGT but then not the second. Doesn't matter if I make the first room my 3 person or my 2 person, second room never sees VGT offer. I'm assuming this is just a website issue? If I go through a travel agent, they'll be able to book me two VGT? I don't want to bother an agent until I'm serious about booking, but it's obnoxious that I can't get my own quote without searching each room separately...

try your 3 person first. Sometimes the Vgt rates don’t have the room size left. It could be there is only one Vgt room left. I booked 2 Vgt rooms many times and never had a problem. However I’ve had to change from 4 and 2 to 3 and 3. Could be a glitch too, the website is often a hot mess. I use a TA, but will often crunch the numbers first to make sure there are two rooms.

try your 3 person first. Sometimes the Vgt rates don’t have the room size left. It could be there is only one Vgt room left. I booked 2 Vgt rooms many times and never had a problem. However I’ve had to change from 4 and 2 to 3 and 3. Could be a glitch too, the website is often a hot mess. I use a TA, but will often crunch the numbers first to make sure there are two rooms.
Thanks. Like I said, I've tried doing both the 3 and the 2 first. No matter what I do, the second room doesn't get the offer. Maybe there really is only one room available in the category but, if so, it's been hanging out there a couple of weeks now...

Thanks. Like I said, I've tried doing both the 3 and the 2 first. No matter what I do, the second room doesn't get the offer. Maybe there really is only one room available in the category but, if so, it's been hanging out there a couple of weeks now...

do you have a TA you could call? Sometimes what we see online is not the same when talking to DCL. I use dreams unlimited.

What category GTY cabin did you book? VGT
2. What category and room # did you get? 04C Deck 6 AFT
3. How many days before the cruise were you assigned your room? 09
4. Are you happy with your assignment or do you feel like you got a "leftover?" Over the moon.
5. If you booked more than one room, are they close together? NA
6 What ship are you sailing? Dream
7. What day of the week was your cabin assigned? Friday
8. What time of day was your cabin assigned?
9. What month is your cruise? July

What category GTY cabin did you book? GTY Category 9C
2. What category and room # did you get? 7A Deck 7 AFT
3. How many days before the cruise were you assigned your room? 21
4. Are you happy with your assignment or do you feel like you got a "leftover?" I'll take the free upgrade anytime.
6 What ship are you sailing? Wish
8. What time of day was your cabin assigned? Before 2pm

2. What category and room # did you get? 5b Aft
3. How many days before the cruise were you assigned your room? 20
4. Are you happy with your assignment or do you feel like you got a "leftover?" Totally happy
8. What time of day was your cabin assigned? Before 2pm

Contemplating a VGT for Oct cruise. I can see from inventory- there are plenty of available staterooms, but have never done VGT before. Do the VGT rooms get tend to get snapped up quickly in the 90 days before sail date? Also- lets say I book the VGT and get my room assignment the week before sailing - and I'm placed on deck 5. If I can see there is still a lot of inventory on deck 7, can I ask to be switched to a room on deck 7 (without having to pay an upgrade fee?)

Contemplating a VGT for Oct cruise. I can see from inventory- there are plenty of available staterooms, but have never done VGT before. Do the VGT rooms get tend to get snapped up quickly in the 90 days before sail date? Also- lets say I book the VGT and get my room assignment the week before sailing - and I'm placed on deck 5. If I can see there is still a lot of inventory on deck 7, can I ask to be switched to a room on deck 7 (without having to pay an upgrade fee?)

under the restrictions list, it says “no cabin changes”. However, I’ve seen folks upgrade at the port for additional money. One of the restrictions is being willing to accept the room assigned.

2. What category and room # did you get? 04A Deck 10 AFT
3. How many days before the cruise were you assigned your room? 09
4. Are you happy with your assignment or do you feel like you got a "leftover?" very happy
8. What time of day was your cabin assigned? between 1-4pm

Room 1

1. What category GTY cabin did you book? GTY 7A
2. What category and room # did you get? 4B #7132
3. How many days before the cruise were you assigned your room? 35
4. Are you happy with your assignment or do you feel like you got a "leftover?" Very happy. It's a good upgrade!
5. If you booked more than one room, are they close together? *****
6 What ship are you sailing? Fantasy
8. What time of day was your cabin assigned? 3.00pm
9. What month is your cruise? October
10. When did you book your cruise? 07/05/2022

Room 2

1. What category GTY cabin did you book? VGT
2. What category and room # did you get? *****
3. How many days before the cruise were you assigned your room? *****
4. Are you happy with your assignment or do you feel like you got a "leftover?" *****
5. If you booked more than one room, are they close together? *****
6 What ship are you sailing? Fantasy
7. What day of the week was your cabin assigned? *****
8. What time of day was your cabin assigned? *****
9. What month is your cruise? October
10. When did you book your cruise? 07/10/2022

Last edited:
How often does it happen that one ends up without an assigned cabin on embarkation day? We are down to 9 days out and still waiting here, first time we have done this and I was hoping we would know our cabin by now; but maybe this is common.

How often does it happen that one ends up without an assigned cabin on embarkation day?
I’ve seen them as close as 5 days out. What ship are you on and what category are you booked?
I’d bet you will know by Wednesday.

Ok, I know I am just whining here. Everyone on my cruise was getting their cabins assigned from VGT and getting amazing cabins 4A, aft extended balconies, etc. We then get ours and is basic - I mean, it is not terrible, but really basic VGT room. As a platinum member I thought we would have a better chance to score an upgraded cabin but they seem to have given them all to first cruisers - which may be on purpose. Anyway, a little deflated after seeing everyone else so happy and am disappointed. Will ask at port for an upgrade if possible and pay for it. Rant over, still happy to cruise next week, just having a small pity party :)

Last edited:
Ok, I know I am just whining here. Everyone on my cruise was getting their cabins assigned from VGT and getting amazing cabins 4A, aft extended balconies, etc. We then get ours and is basic - I mean, it is not terrible, but really basic VGT room. As a platinum member I thought we would have a better chance to score an upgraded cabin but they seem to have given them all to first cruisers - which may be on purpose. Anyway, a little deflated after seeing everyone else so happy and am disappointed. Will ask at port for an upgrade if possible and pay for it. Rant over, still happy to cruise next week, just having a small pity party :)
I know how you feel, most times I've booked a VGT I ended up with a cat 7A.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter