Grout cleaner

Ranger111

DIS Veteran
Several years ago, I think, there was discussion about cleaning grout diy.

I ordered a product and promised to report back and name it if it were any good. Well, it really was not, so...still on my quest, just tried GP66 and it actually did an O.K. job. Not exactly perfect, but pretty darn good. There are one or two TV news stations "tests" of the product on YOUTUBE. One or both were different ABC stations, I think.

The stuff is actually a general purpose cleaner and supposedly sort of safe to use -- you be the judge of that, not me.

So, anyone with something better that isn't caustic and is sort enviromentally friendly, I am still open to suggestions.

I just cleaned mine with diluted vinegar and a denture cleaning brush. Spent 3 hours sitting on the tile floor, scrubbing.

Several years ago, I think, there was discussion about cleaning grout diy.

I ordered a product and promised to report back and name it if it were any good. Well, it really was not, so...still on my quest, just tried GP66 and it actually did an O.K. job. Not exactly perfect, but pretty darn good. There are one or two TV news stations "tests" of the product on YOUTUBE. One or both were different ABC stations, I think.

The stuff is actually a general purpose cleaner and supposedly sort of safe to use -- you be the judge of that, not me.

So, anyone with something better that isn't caustic and is sort enviromentally friendly, I am still open to suggestions.
Where did you pick up the GP66? What method did you use? Toothbrush or does it come with a utensil or something else?

Grout cleaning depends on whether the surface is horizontal (i.e. floor) or vertical (i.e. bathroom shower wall) and what exactly you are trying to clean. Products with any kind of bleach work well for mildew which is mostly what you get in the shower, the trick with vertical surfaces is getting it to stick long enough to do the cleaning. General dirt/grime on a floor can usually be cleaned with strong household type cleaning solutions. Horizontal surfaces are easier to clean since you can let the cleaning product sit for longer periods of time to dissolve general dirt/grime. Places like Lowe's/Home Depot sell products specifically for grout cleaning, some are much stronger then others. Not aware of any grout cleaning product that will restore the color to something that has faded.

There are various brands of grout re-colorant sold that do a good job to hide/change the color of faded grout. They tend to be pricey but is about the only thing that will restore color to something that has faded overtime. There are also grout sealing products that should be applied to new grout to prevent dirt/grime from being absorbed into the grout and make future cleaning easier.

Last edited:
I use a clorox bleach pen, but the smell really gets to me.

I just bought a bissel steam mop which has attachments for grout and other hard to reach areas. I am using it on our new downstairs bathroom tile floor and walls as a preventative so they don’t end up like the upstairs bathroom.

Thank you for this info. I bought a house that has a settling crack across about 6 16" tiles (of course in the middle of the great room). There were enough tile in the garage to replace them but I think getting the grout to match will be about impossible. Not sure if it was treated when it was installed. I will be hiring someone to replace but I am concerned the mismatched grout will be a bigger eyesore than the 6 cracked tiles. Hate to pay a contractor to make something look worse than what I started with.

^^ Grout recoloring for the entire area could be one solution. Grout cleaning products will generally not restore the original color. That example is different from what the OP was asking.

I bought three bottles of the stuff on Woot for about half retail. It is sold many places, Google or whatever search you use is your friend...

I was using on Tile floor that had supposedly been sealed by installer. Yeah, things like bleach can work, it is what my mom used, back in 1965, but not me.

If you search for videos for the specific product you will see various methods of application, etc. Including the actual company Web site. The reason I posted is that it took little effort to get a notable improvement and I suppose if you really work at it, you will get much better results. Also, the stuff is multi-purpose and supposedly pretty safe,.

I have used it on a number of things. I need to go back and clean again. Honestly, I put in minimal effort and got a great return. I assume spending 15 minutes vs. my seven minutes on the bathroom floor will probably pay-off. Again, it does not seem perfect, though maybe it is.... but what is -- except for Walt, of course.... LOL

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter