grocery stop budget??

grover

DIS Veteran
Okay I think I have my food budget for eating out all figured out- now I just want to figure out what I will spend on my grocery stop.

Does anyone have prices for the following things? please let me know if you are quoting american or canadian dollars!

We will stop and pick the following up after arriving at MCO.
1 case of bottled water
4-2 liter bottles of pop
2 large bottles of juice
1-2 liter of skim milk
apples,oranges and nectarines-5 or 6 of each
1 package of muffins
1 bag of pretzels 2
large bags of chips
bulk nuts??
12 pack of budweiser
1 small size bottle of cocunut rum

thanks for your help!

Grover in Winnipeg
:D

Here is a list I started with my own purchases plus advise from others on these boards. These prices might be a year old or so. Sandra

GOODINGS GROCERY LIST AND PRICES

1 loaf of whole wheat bread $0.99
1 large jar of baby food $0.75
12 pack of soda $4.99 lots of variety
Decorated Easter cake from bakery $6.99
Mennen speed stick $2.99
Eggs, 3.00 per dozen, large.
Bacon, 5.00 per pound. Oscar Myer.
2 liter bottle coke $1.79
1 qt. milk 1.79
one gallon of milk 3.99
Tropicana Original Orange Juice, 64 oz 3.99
Cheerios, 10 oz 4.09
Coca Cola 12-pack of cans 4.99
Chips Ahoy cookies, 12 oz 3.79
Bud 6-pack of cans 5.89
Sunbeam Old Fashioned white bread, 20 oz 1.99
Jif Creamy peanut butter, 12 oz 2.69
Welch's Grape Jelly, 18 oz 2.39

PUBLIX NEAR DISNEY WORLD NOV 2001

Roll of Scott paper towels $1.49
12 pack Zephyr Spring water (16 oz bottles) $3.50 (sale)
6 pack of pepsi bottles (20 oz) $2.67 (sale)
6 pack of Lipton Brisk Tea (20 oz) $2.67 (sale)
6 pack of Michelob Light $4.79
Ritz Bits crackers $3.29
Double Stuff OREOS $3.59
Doritos $3.29
Bag of mini-Chocolate donuts $1.79
Hostess powdered mini-donuts $1.89
1/2 gallon 2% milk $1.89
Family pack Pop-tarts $2.73
Kellogg Pop Tarts $1.95
Apples $1.19 per pound
Thomas bagels $3.09
Bananas $1.08
Chocolate Chip muffins $2.69
Zucchini muffins $2.69
Blues Clues Fruit Snacks $2.39
Scooby Fruit Snacks $2.59
Strawverries & Cream cereal bars $2.59
Chocolate Fudge cereal bars $2.59

Now that we're DVC owners we've made full grocery stops on our last two visits. I've come to the conclusion that grocery prices in Orlando are obscenely high. To budget for grocery stops, we just assume that the sticker prices are the same in Orlando as they are at home. 4 litres of milk will cost $3.69 here, a gallon will be roughly $3.50 in Orlando. There are exceptions, but generally the prices convert pretty well. Of course, this means that prices in Orlando are 60% higher, given the exchange rate on the dollar.

If you figure your shopping list will cost you $100 here, assume it will cost US$100 in Orlando. That will be a close first approximation, and is one reason we pack as many dry goods with us as we can fit in our luggage.

- Mike

We seem to be 'hit and miss' food packers. April 2001 I packed too much food, hardy ate what we brought with the exception of granola bars.

April 2002, I packed less food from home and bought more groceries at Goodings. I liked having apples, oranges and bananas in the room. We didn't even put a dent in the granola this year.

The best food item I packed this year was tiny individual pop-top SpaghettiO's for my son. He's 2 years old and loves them! My friend works for the company that makes them and we got them for 25 cents a can! I brought 10 cans and he ate 8 of them during the trip. Even if he didn't eat any and I had to leave them in Florida, it's only $2.50! By far our best deal! S

It always amazes me how much groceries cost in Florida. We only bought what I thought were minimal snack items and items for sandwiches and spent $80 US last Oct. Pack what dry good you can and buy only bulky items and perishables. i find it funny that OJ is more expensive in Florida! Either way it is still cheaper to buy groceries and have some meals in the room rather than going out to eat.

That's how I feel Michelle ~ we had 3 character breakkies of 10 possible breakkies. 7 breakkies were in room, a couple times I did spend about $5 on danish at Pepper Market ~ but mainly we had cereal, PBJ's, fruit, granola etc.,. for breakky. If we didn't have lunch plans, we would eat fruit and sandwiches at the room during our afternoon break. Dinner was our main meal most nights ~ even then, we'd eat at food courts or counter service ~ it was easier with ds(2) and we always enjoyed the food and kid-friendly atmosphere. We did Ice Cream Social at Epcot and on the last night we did Crystal Palace. I couldn't believe how much we spent in 2001, so I vowed to drastically reduce the 2002 food budget and we did. Groceries are the way to go. We'll try driving to WDW next trip, I'm sure we'll take a lot of food from home that trip. S

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter