• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

grocery game questions

jennz

DIS Veteran
Hello to all you grocery game users out there...I've been trying to decide whether to try this. We only have Kroger in our area that they list on the site, and I usually do my shopping at our super Wal-mart. Kroger's more expensive than Walmart, so I was just wondering...is it worth it? :confused3 For example, I saw on the Walgreen's list this week that w/coupons Pringles were down to 89 cents/can for a 50% savings, but our regular price at Walmart is 88 cents/can. I'm not sure if it's worth it in my area. Thanks!!

I have been doing the grocery game for three years in California and love it! I do not have a Super Wal-Mart in my area though. If the grocery game still offers a free four week trial or four weeks for $1.00 I would recomend that you give it a try and see if there are things that you can get cheaper through the list, give it the full four weeks to decide. You will probably have things you will always find cheaper at Walmart so you will end up going to two stores which you will have to decide if you have the time for that. I consistently save 50% every week on quality name brand products at my local grocery store. About half of what I buy are non food items such as health and beauty products and cleaning products. There are free itmes every week too, you can't beat that! The list really does make it easy to do couponing. Good Luck!

I finally signed up for the GG in my area last week. I have to say I am a bit dissapointed. The main thing is that the list isn't put up until Sunday. Well all the stores in my area run their ads from Wed-Tuesday. So at most I have 3 days to shop Plus it will never include any 3 day sales, which are always Thurs/Friday-Sat/Sun.

The other dissapointing thing is that the final prices assume doubled coupons. Well there are no double coupon stores in my area. According to the GG the only area in my state is SW Washington, and I have to say that's a small area so I'd think they'd assume no doubles.

So after my trial is up I will cancel. I can do just as well on my own. I just wanted to make my life a bit easier, but if I can only shop 1 day a week and that day is the last day of the ad's then it's not going to be worth it for me. I prefer to go the first or second day of an ad so they aren't out, I hate dealing with rainchecks.

Nicolepa said:
I finally signed up for the GG in my area last week. I have to say I am a bit dissapointed. The main thing is that the list isn't put up until Sunday. Well all the stores in my area run their ads from Wed-Tuesday. So at most I have 3 days to shop Plus it will never include any 3 day sales, which are always Thurs/Friday-Sat/Sun.
My store ads run Wed-Sun as well. My 3 day sales run Fri, Sat, Sun. I get my list on Sunday and am able to take advantage of everything if I shop on Sunday.

Nicolepa said:
The other dissapointing thing is that the final prices assume doubled coupons. Well there are no double coupon stores in my area. According to the GG the only area in my state is SW Washington, and I have to say that's a small area so I'd think they'd assume no doubles.
You should email your customer service about this. You can do that from the home page. I'm sure they could explain their thinking or give you some options. If nobody doubles in your area then your list shouldn't assume doubling. I would definitely email!

Hi, what is the benefit of joining and PAYING for that website? BTW, how much is it? DH does all the shopping in our house and he does an AWESOME job! He gets tons of coupons each week from his building at work, so whenever something is on sale, we use the coupons that get doubled and then end up paying only about 75% (sometimes we get items for FREE because of the doubled coupons and sales!)

I am just wondering if this would benefit me, or if I should just continue what we are doing.

I think it is $1.25 a week. For me that is very worth having someone else tell me which coupon to use with the sales to get the best deal. I have double coupons in my area and I routinely save 50% every week. It is the same thing I was doing myself but the time saved having it all put together for me is well worth the nominal fee to me anyway. .

In Luv with Disney said:
Hi, what is the benefit of joining and PAYING for that website? BTW, how much is it? DH does all the shopping in our house and he does an AWESOME job! He gets tons of coupons each week from his building at work, so whenever something is on sale, we use the coupons that get doubled and then end up paying only about 75% (sometimes we get items for FREE because of the doubled coupons and sales!)

I am just wondering if this would benefit me, or if I should just continue what we are doing.
Go to www.thegrocerygame.com and you can read all the details. It sounds like you do very well on your own but for me, $10 every 8 weeks(which is $1.25 per week) is worth the convenience of having somebody else scout out all the deals for me.

The main thing is that the list isn't put up until Sunday. Well all the stores in my area run their ads from Wed-Tuesday. So at most I have 3 days to shop.

They cover this in the rules. They put the list out on Sunday to be able to use the coupons in that Sunday's paper. I've missed several good deals by going early on my own. I would e-mail customer service and ask about the Fri-Sat sales that are missed. Perhaps this is something that could be brought to their attention. From what I understand, they are pretty responsive. I'm sorry it's not working well for you.

I had it for about 2 weeks. They didn't put my list up until Monday giving me two days to shop (and I have to shop on the weekends). I also found the groceries wern't items I would normally use. I went to the store and did better myself ($160 worth of groceries for about $39) by spending about and hour walking to the store and buying the paper (Sundays paper on Saturday) cutting/filing the coupons and looking at the ad (I only shop at one store) and about an hour at the store. I suppose it helps that I can remember what coupons I have so I don't have to stop every 10 seconds to check. I realize not everyone has 2 hours to kill on a Saturday but this system works for me and I look at it as a type of game. How much can I buy for how little.

I just signed up for the 4 weeks for $1 deal. I really don't get it. There were some good deals, but on stuff I would never buy. It is at a grocery store I don't reall go to, not wortht he trip for 3 or 4 things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter