Groceries

DisneyDuo

A perplexed friend said to me, "You must fart Pixi
Hi all - just joined DVC a few weeks ago - BCV. Have a question about groceries. Has anyone used the delivery system (having them already in the room)? How does that work? Is it cheaper to go to the grocery store yourself? If so, where is a nearby grocery store?

We are looking forward to our first DVC trip next January!

Hi DisneyDuo!:wave:

We'll be there next January too!!! Heck, we're there every January. :) I've never had groceries delivered, but I believe it's a little higher than what you would pay if you went to the grocery store yourself.

We usually shop at Publix on 192, but there is a Goodings I believe at the corner of Hotel Plaza Blvd and SR535.

Stay away from the Goodings just outside the north gate. Prices are very high, like a huge 7 -11. Your best bet is the Publex

GROCERY SHOPPING: For those of you with a one or two bedroom who do not mind doing a little cooking while on vacation (I know, not for everyone). Your vacation home has a complete kitchen. I estimate that we save around $600 (for 6 of us for a week) on food by eating breakfast, a few dinners, and have some snacks prepared in the room. We are an ice-cream family. I buy two or three 1/2 gallons at the grocery store and a box of cones ($10 total) and several nights we make a cone and head out for a stroll on the boardwalk or boat ride or poolside. A cone at the boardwalk shop runs about $3. We save $50 on ice cream alone. STAY AWAY from Goody's outside the North gate (Downtown Disney - exit 27). Pricing is high. Best place in Publix on 192 (exit 25), go West about 4 miles. More like real grocery store pricing and a good selection. Keep it simple. Cereals and such for breakfast, simple to prepare dinners. You can save a bundle on Juice, milk, soft drinks alone. It is extremely important to make a list before you head to the Publix.

ttfn

Originally posted by DisneyDuo
Hi all - just joined DVC a few weeks ago - BCV. Have a question about groceries. Has anyone used the delivery system (having them already in the room)? How does that work? Is it cheaper to go to the grocery store yourself? If so, where is a nearby grocery store?

We are looking forward to our first DVC trip next January!

We looked into having the groceries delivered one year when we lived up north and decided against it simply because the grocery list was only of what they had at the general store right there at the resort and was both very limited and seemed alot more expensive. As everyone is mentioning as well, Goodings, while convieniently located is also very expensive. I'd go either to Publix or there's also a Winn-Dixie near by as well from what I've read.

Have a good trip!;)

Thanks, everyone - I figured the delivery system would be rather expensive and limited. Sounds like we'll hit the Publix on the way in! (we're planning on a studio, by the way, but still want to save a little $ by eating breakfast and snacks in the suite)

This last January was our first trip as DVC owners. We didn't have them deliver groceries to our room but we faxed an order to Albertsons of what we wanted. When we got off the plane we had Your Ride take us over there to pickup our groceries. We were in and out of the store within 15 minutes. Albertsons is a little bit more expensive then Winn Dixie or some other stores but in my opinion more conventient due to you can fax what you want and then pick it up. We were very satisfied with what we got. Plus I had a little surprise. I had ordered a doz donuts and I got Krispie Kremes (yumm).

I was just there last week and shopped at Winn Dixie. I was very disappointed in the prices. I found them to be high. They're not as high as Goodings but they sure are a lot more than Publix. The cashier did have me sign up for a Winn Dixie card, took 60 seconds at the register!

I thought the Winn-Dixie's prices were just like home's. I think it must matter where you live. We are in Bloomington, Indiana, with Indiana University. The prices are high here, supposedly because we are a "university community." I thought Winn Dixie was reasonable. Maybe next time I'll try that Publix!

Goodings is so high that food at the resort stores is sometimes cheaper. If I am going to get ripped off anyhow I might as well have someone else cook the food! We saved a ton last year on soda alone. I have a small cooler and we would take it to the pool with plastic cups and some pretzels. During a long afternoon at one of the pools, we would save enough to help pay for dinner. We ate off-site too. Near Goodings is a great Pizzeria Uno, and we did the Perkins a few times as well. They have great pancakes served all the time. There is also an Olive Garden.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter