Grey walls are really popular now

I've done grey in my last 3 houses because a grey nuetral has been popular since like 2007. I like really cool colors, so my house is mostly grey, with a sage/grey green (also cool and nuetral) and a light blue that is the least neutral but provides great flow with all the other cool colors. I hate warm colors and mine are all very modern. My mom and I could have more different tastes. My house is a brick colonial with awnings on the outside but modern layout and design inside and all of my furniture is modern, with LOTS of mid century modern pieces (Knoll is a problem!), very few knick knacks, art not photos, etc. I love it. My mom thinks its too cold. Could be the cement?

What you describe sounds like the right style for gray walls.

I went to select some paint colors for a few rooms in our house and the sales person pushed hard on the grey for my dining room. I got it home and no way - it doesn't go with the style of our house at all. I think you need a newer house, with black, white and maybe one pop of color. We have exposed wood in a lot of our house and I don't think it goes well with brown exposed wood.

I went with Benjamin Moore Sail Cloth.

Anyone paint their walls gray?
In our neighbhorhood the outside main colors since 2012 can only be brown or grey....grey is def. the new 'it' color. We actually were able to get a blue approved through the developer (who is still in control of our HOA) but it's actually a grey/blue called grey granite....it's totally a bluer tone though (our house was built in 2014 as a craftsman style). When choosing the stone color for the craftsman style pillars of our house we chose ones that have a grey tone rather than a red or yellow tone and the landscape smaller rock around parts around the outside of our house also have a grey tone. our couch is a grey/black weave pattern. We like grey for sure.

FWIW our house has two interior colors (as that is what came with the builder without having to pay extra). We chose a sage-ish green for all bedrooms including the main level "flex room" which counts as a bedroom and a light blue for all spaces so I wouldn't say you need black and white and a pop of color. We could easily paint an accent wall grey and it will work. I'd say our house is traditional inside with a new freshness to it. Our wood floors are darker and whatnot but we didn't choose the normal tan/brown neutral color for the walls to us the light blue we chose was neutral and the sage-ish green is soft enough to meld with multiple decors.

TOM JONES
"Green Green Grass Of Home"

The old home town looks the same as I step down from the train,
and there to meet me is my Mama and Papa.
Down the road I look and there runs Mary hair of gold and lips like cherries.
It's good to touch the green, green grass of home.
Yes, they'll all come to meet me, arms reaching, smiling sweetly.
It's good to touch the green, green, grass of home.
The old house is still standing, tho' the paint is cracked and dry,
and there's that old oak tree that I used to play on.

Down the lane I walk with my sweet Mary, hair of gold and lips like cherries.
Yes, they'll all come to meet me, arms reaching, smiling sweetly.

[spoken:]

Then I awake and look around me, at the four grey walls that surround me
and I realize, yes, I was only dreaming.
For there's a guard and there's a sad old padre -
arm in arm we'll walk at daybreak.
Again I touch the green, green grass of home.
Yes, they'll all come to see me in the shade of that old oak tree
as they lay me neath the green, green grass of home.

one f the saddest songs ever sung

Grey is a big seller where I am. I currently work in a paint department.

The most common mistake most people make is when people try to interpret a neutral grey, they wind up picking a "cool" grey, and always complain of their walls looking too blue or purple. Many people try to return their paint on that notion. If you are ever doubting yourself, always use the option of buying a small sample. We sell a ton of them a day.

Grey is too drab for me. I'd rather have more of a muted or "greyish" versions of existing colors in open spaces (living room/kitchen) that can help add some color and dimension to a space. Bedrooms, I usually go for more defined colors. Nothing too saturated.

We do not have gray walls, but if you watch any of the renovation shows on HGTV gray is hot with them.

My wife is ready to throw something at the TV when Flip or Flop is on and Christina El Moussa comes on because she loves painting things a "warm gray" as she puts it.

We are 4 years post top to bottom remodel and none of the 4 design bids we got included any gray paint, or subway tile, both of which are very popular on the HGTV shows. My wife's goal was to dump all tile and go with solid surfaces everywhere, which we did. My only comment is, it is a whole lot easier to clean than tile.

I don't mind gray but I really am not a fan of the subway tile, and you're right... it's everywhere on the remodeling shows!

We just built a new home. The walls throughout are Sherwin Williams Agreeable Grey. I love it. Each room has a different style based on the color accents I chose. Grey goes with everything! While it is a cool color, warm accents make the rooms very inviting.
Ha, love the names. I don't suppose they would call it "disagreeable gray"!

Grey is a big seller where I am. I currently work in a paint department.

The most common mistake most people make is when people try to interpret a neutral grey, they wind up picking a "cool" grey, and always complain of their walls looking too blue or purple. Many people try to return their paint on that notion. If you are ever doubting yourself, always use the option of buying a small sample. We sell a ton of them a day.

Grey is too drab for me. I'd rather have more of a muted or "greyish" versions of existing colors in open spaces (living room/kitchen) that can help add some color and dimension to a space. Bedrooms, I usually go for more defined colors. Nothing too saturated.
I had stacks of those $5 sample jars and swatches painted all over the place that I'd watch the light on all day. I knew I wanted a "warm" but not yellow grey and something that leaned towards green in the kitchen. I have picked out a ridiculous amount of paint over the years and usually nail it in one or two samples but grey is a whole 'nother beast. I made myself and my family crazy trying to find the right one. Then one day I just grabbed the White Moderne sample card blind and had it made up. I didn't even test it just decided enough, good or bad that's what I was going to live with. It ended up being perfect, not yellow, not blue just a hint of warmth. Not drab at all. It's very cozy and the perfect back drop for any color. When it came to the white trim I followed the advice of a designer in an article I read. She said just get the base paint, no tint for a true white. Saved me the angst of more samples and light watching.

I agree about the samples. Paint nice big swatches and watch them throughout the day. Especially with neutrals that can lean in a ridiculous amount of directions.

I had stacks of those $5 sample jars and swatches painted all over the place that I'd watch the light on all day. I knew I wanted a "warm" but not yellow grey and something that leaned towards green in the kitchen. I have picked out a ridiculous amount of paint over the years and usually nail it in one or two samples but grey is a whole 'nother beast. I made myself and my family crazy trying to find the right one. Then one day I just grabbed the White Moderne sample card blind and had it made up. I didn't even test it just decided enough, good or bad that's what I was going to live with. It ended up being perfect, not yellow, not blue just a hint of warmth. Not drab at all. It's very cozy and the perfect back drop for any color. When it came to the white trim I followed the advice of a designer in an article I read. She said just get the base paint, no tint for a true white. Saved me the angst of more samples and light watching.

I agree about the samples. Paint nice big swatches and watch them throughout the day. Especially with neutrals that can lean in a ridiculous amount of directions.

I've just gone through the tons of samples. I can say that I tried several gray paints because it's all the rage now, but it does.not.look.good in my home. Mainly because I have all the natural oak floors, wood trim, cabinets, etc. (that I would like to get rid of), but as neutral as everyone says gray is, it really clashes with the wood in my home.

I ended up with a Benjamin Moore Manchester Tan (recommended by a decorator I had come over) and it can lean toward gray in certain lights so it's a happy compromise.

I've just gone through the tons of samples. I can say that I tried several gray paints because it's all the rage now, but it does.not.look.good in my home. Mainly because I have all the natural oak floors, wood trim, cabinets, etc. (that I would like to get rid of), but as neutral as everyone says gray is, it really clashes with the wood in my home.

I ended up with a Benjamin Moore Manchester Tan (recommended by a decorator I had come over) and it can lean toward gray in certain lights so it's a happy compromise.
It's VERY hard to find a true neutral grey. At least it was in my experience. Not only can it lean very cool but with all that wood I can imagine that it reflects those tones which are primarily warm and end up not looking very pretty. When we bought this house it was all dark woods. You could tell she was going for a modern, sophisticated look but it was very dark. I don't think grey would have worked there either. I have a cherry topped table and had my built in entertainment center done in cherry. Those do work but I think with lighter or much darker wood it would have clashed.

We are coming up on our 10th year in this house (we had it built) and the paint needs to be redone. The main living areas are a very open space. From the front entry you can see the living room, hallway to bedrooms, kitchen, and dining area. I used a sage green for the paint and have very dark hardwood. It looked fabulous (to me) but over the decade my biggest complaint is that it NEVER feels bright and sunny in my home. I'm constantly flipping on every light I can find. There are lots of windows, but no direct sunlight due to the front and back porches. I need LIGHT.

So all this to say, I have had grey suggested to me several times and know that Revere Grey is the "it" colour for at least a few years now. I really do like it in other peoples homes but I have to go to beige/yellow tones lest I spend another decade feeling like I live in cave. It just won't work for this space.

We worked with a decorator and now have grey walls in our kitchen and entry way (Sherwin Williams Pussywillow for the kitchen and Sherwin Williams Repose Gray for the entry.) When we built the house, tans and off-whites were the go-to neutral and I've never really liked those. The grey feels much more "us" but we have quite a bit of white to break it up.

In the entry, we have grey floor tile, but lots of white woodwork, and my husband put up white board and batten so only the upper part of the walls are grey.

I was worried about it in the kitchen: grey floor tile, maple cabinets, white appliances. I was afraid it would be too much grey. I do like it in the kitchen, but we recently had to replace our dishwasher and although I know stainless is really popular, I decided to stick with white. I was afraid that adding grey appliances would throw off the grey-to-white balance.

We are coming up on our 10th year in this house (we had it built) and the paint needs to be redone. The main living areas are a very open space. From the front entry you can see the living room, hallway to bedrooms, kitchen, and dining area. I used a sage green for the paint and have very dark hardwood. It looked fabulous (to me) but over the decade my biggest complaint is that it NEVER feels bright and sunny in my home. I'm constantly flipping on every light I can find. There are lots of windows, but no direct sunlight due to the front and back porches. I need LIGHT.

So all this to say, I have had grey suggested to me several times and know that Revere Grey is the "it" colour for at least a few years now. I really do like it in other peoples homes but I have to go to beige/yellow tones lest I spend another decade feeling like I live in cave. It just won't work for this space.

One reason I rarely ever use green in my home: it depresses me. I do have a sage green in one of my bathrooms. It's okay but, again, gives me a depressing tone. Gray is okay, but can trend toward depressing. I have it in a powder room in the basement. Not a good choice--it needs a lot of natural light. My friend has it in her living room and it works but she has LOTS of light in that room and lots of things that lift it up (use of other color).

If you don't have a ton of natural light in your house, I agree with the using a bright undertone.

I don't like grey at all. I find it too depressing and I already have a tendency towards depression. I hate beige and tan walls. My preferred neutral is a cream that doesn't have noticeable yellow undertones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter