Great Movie Ride closes for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nooo! This is horrible news. I'm going in November and I haven't been to WDW in years. I was looking forward to this ride

I'm taking my elderly mother in December and was really looking forward to her seeing this one. Fingers crossed these rumors are incorrect and the ride doesn't shut down until 2018 when the sponsorship expires. :sad:

Rumors keep coming along. It would be nice to see actual proof, in writing, from the "subject expert" (as we used to say in work.

I'm excited about this possibility. Where else does Mickey Mouse have his own ride? I think he deserves one :) I would love to see how they turn what currently is the Great Movie ride into one starring the head mouse. I'm assuming they would use the same track system just overlay the new theming. I understand when people get upset about losing the "classic" rides but to stay relevant things need to change. Plus with the new naming of The Studios, maybe this new ride will fit the theme of this new park better.

Rumors keep coming along. It would be nice to see actual proof, in writing, from the "subject expert" (as we used to say in work.

Hmmm, not sure why this bothers me so much, but every time I come here to see any updates your comment makes me sad. @rteetz has only published what he's read. If you look at the first page on post #1 it's clearly stated where the information came from, it's not like he makes this stuff up and posts visions. :flower3:

I don't think a Mickey attraction makes sense at HS.....not that he doesnt deserve his own attraction, he totally does, just not at HS. I don't know why they wouldn't just update this to be all Disney movies. Esp. if they only included movies that don't have their own attraction already (so let's say, 101 Dalmations, Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, Mary Poppins, Bambi, Jungle Book, Brave, etc......). Oh! They could start off with an Oswald/Steamboat Willie/Mickey scene! Then they could make the last scene on a set that can be changed out easily, and every year replace it with the newest Disney movie. :D
I think this would be THE greatest attraction at WDW, hands down. It would fit brilliantly with HS's concept. And it seems to me it wouldn't be a HUGE construction project as the bones are already there with the GMR building as it is........ just the scenes inside would need to be done over. It actually kind of seems like a no-brainer to me, I don't know why it hasn't been done already.

I don't think a Mickey attraction makes sense at HS.....not that he doesnt deserve his own attraction, he totally does, just not at HS. I don't know why they wouldn't just update this to be all Disney movies. Esp. if they only included movies that don't have their own attraction already (so let's say, 101 Dalmations, Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, Mary Poppins, Bambi, Jungle Book, Brave, etc......). Oh! They could start off with an Oswald/Steamboat Willie/Mickey scene! Then they could make the last scene on a set that can be changed out easily, and every year replace it with the newest Disney movie. :D
I think this would be THE greatest attraction at WDW, hands down. It would fit brilliantly with HS's concept. And it seems to me it wouldn't be a HUGE construction project as the bones are already there with the GMR building as it is........ just the scenes inside would need to be done over. It actually kind of seems like a no-brainer to me, I don't know why it hasn't been done already.

I love GMR it is one of my favorites but if they are going to change it I LOVE this idea. Too bad we don't get a vote.

The ride was an original MGM ride when the park opened. Old, old, old and it's time for it to go.
I agree, I did it for the first time last week and it really looked quite sad. I obviously don't have any nostalgic ties to it, but I would be fine with it going away.

Why couldn't the two ideas be combined? I actually considered your idea, but I thought, why not have Mickey journey through these with the audience, and progress himself as he goes from the older movies to the newer?

Seems like there is still plenty of room to keep in line with the theme, while still having it be a Mickey Mouse ride. Could even keep the CM that leads the ride to do some interacting with Mickey.

Great movie ride needs a total gutting and would be better if they focused on the robust history of Disney movies from walts era to now

Great movie ride needs a total gutting and would be better if they focused on the robust history of Disney movies from walts era to now
If the theme of the park was not changing, I would agree. But I think we all have to embrace the fact that the park is going totally away from the Movie studio and making movies theme and more to experiences and stars of those movies instead. Thus , IMO, Mickey who is a star of WD, vs. a ride about movies in general.

same as a Star Wars themed area, and TSL themed area.

The current offerings at springs offers nothing more in the way of Disney souvenirs...

I had hoped that the Large expansion would lead to more partnerships with the third party vendors if nothing else...let alone some real increase in quality beyond the Awful state of park merchandise...it hasn't happened as of yet.

I went into the Tommy store and I would have sworn that I was in some boutique mall in Texas or on duval street in key west. Really bland retail store with an anteceptic feel and clubbing Music. Didn't even bother to carry the shirts that they sell in the poly for the last year...can't see why not.

The Lilly store was worse. Cramped version of king of Prussia.

The area was mobbed with foreign travelers (frankly) and some younger locals looking to look cool (not shopping...typical orlandoeans). Architecture and design overall pretty bad...pathways inadequate. "Springs" all but useless.

Dining was the high spot...ate at three new places. (3 words: Art Smiths Homecoming) they were all solid and what I felt was reasonable.

Perhaps the west side of PI will yield more gains as a hole.

They will have to redo marketplace and west side now...those areas don't fit...look out of place.

Sorry for the hijack.

With your King of Prussia comment - I take it you're from PA???

I agree. It is one of my favorites. My kids love that ride and we sure will miss it. It is a classic .

Same here. We will definitely be going on it our next trip in July. The girls and my husband were crushed when I told them about the rumors. My youngest - 7 appreciates the older movies. A few weeks ago they went on a class trip to see a local high school production of Singin' in the Rain - she said it made her think of the Great Movie Ride!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter