Great Movie Ride closes for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hubby and I rode this 2 weeks ago since we knew it wouldn't be around for long. We also wanted to remind ourselves on our opinion of it. We both agree it's a very well done ride. We also noticed that a lot of people seemed very bored. I always get roasted when I say this stuff, but it's not relevant to younger generations. Our 15 year old only knew about the Indiana Jones movies. He's never seen a lot of the movies that were portrayed in this ride. As the demographics change so must the entertainment, imo. Disney has to appeal to its audience.

I love the movies represented in the ride. Some of them are before my time, some after, but it is great to see the scenes from the movies. The thing that I have not liked at all the last several times I have ridden it is the human guide. The spoken lines just seemed awkwardly delivered (when we could hear them at all), and the guides largely seemed bored. I get that these are young people who are not actors, but I would think that Disney could find talented, wannabe stars who could really stand out on this attraction. There probably are some who do, but the ones we had on our last four or five rides seemed very amateurish and lacked enthusiasm. I thought it diminished the quality of the ride.

We were fortunate in our last Great Movie Ride. The guide and the 'baddie' were decent actors and obviously having a blast. As the ride is unlikely to be operational for our next trip, we were happy to see this a final time .

This breaks my heart! GMR has always been one of my favorites...I'm grateful I'll be able to enjoy it again before it's gone.

I just saw in a link (below) in the Rumors thread that this will be a 2+ year build. That seems like a long time - especially for a trackless ride, which should be a simpler construction. That's way longer than I would have guessed a gut and renovate would take, so maybe they're tearing the whole building down.

Whatever they're doing, I think the longer it is planned for, the more "high end" this ride probably is.

Link:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/walt-disney-world/disney-rumor-round-up-april-2017/

I just saw in a link (below) in the Rumors thread that this will be a 2+ year build. That seems like a long time - especially for a trackless ride, which should be a simpler construction. That's way longer than I would have guessed a gut and renovate would take, so maybe they're tearing the whole building down.

Whatever they're doing, I think the longer it is planned for, the more "high end" this ride probably is.

Link:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/walt-disney-world/disney-rumor-round-up-april-2017/
The building wouldn't be torn down. There would be modifications but not a total tear down. Remember it took over a year to do Frozen which was just switching out scenes and renovating the load and unload.

The building wouldn't be torn down. There would be modifications but not a total tear down. Remember it took over a year to do Frozen which was just switching out scenes and renovating the load and unload.
Remind me how long Toy Story Land is supposed to be from start to finish. That only started last year didn't it?

Remind me how long Toy Story Land is supposed to be from start to finish. That only started last year didn't it?
Toy Story started actual construction last year, demolition of the area began in 2014. That is a complete ground up build though. Toy Story is projected to open May 2018.

Toy Story started actual construction last year, demolition of the area began in 2014. That is a complete ground up build though. Toy Story is projected to open May 2018.
So that's 4 years total. I guess I can understand 2 years for this a little bit better.

I was thinking Toy Story Land was only 2 years.

So I guess I'm the only one to not know GMR was closing??? So sad!! Will they have T's and what-not this year like they've had for Osbourne Lights etc...?

I just saw this on the Rumor Round-up as well. I mean it was on the Rumor page? Is it confirmed? I hadn't seen the DIS post anything about this and I generally see most of the articles and watch the podcasts. Figured something would have been mentioned more officially if it were more than just rumor?

It's a RUMOR.

Seriously, many rides need overhauls and it is one of them.

But do you really think they will close it down before at least TSL is up and running?

And honestly I hope they take their time and come up with a good plan ...
the rumor of that long a ride dedicated to a Mouse ............ :earseek:

I just saw this on the Rumor Round-up as well. I mean it was on the Rumor page? Is it confirmed? I hadn't seen the DIS post anything about this and I generally see most of the articles and watch the podcasts. Figured something would have been mentioned more officially if it were more than just rumor?

EXACTLY.

RUMOR = a currently circulating story or report of uncertain or doubtful truth.

Meaning, it could be completely fabricated.

Until DISNEY comes out and says it ... and even then, not until it is actually done and operating, is it confirmed.

PS and to that ... this thread will likely be moved/merged to Rumors since TPAS is more about facts and current park planning.

I haven't heard anything about it, besides the rumors that have been circulating for years.
The DIS rumor round-up said it "could" close as early as mid-August this year. No idea where that info comes from, but they must be confident enough to even list it?

The DIS rumor round-up said it "could" close as early as mid-August this year. No idea where that info comes from, but they must be confident enough to even list it?
Hmmm...interesting, yeah I don't think I've ever heard a round about date. I'd be surprised though if they closed it now with everything else they have going on there.

And how many opening dates for ROL were posted? that were wrong.

Can it? Sure, anything can happen but I would never make plans around rumors.

Well good. I just saw a headline (on my phone) and didn't even realize it was on the rumor board. Phew.....

Really sad to hear this! Haven't been to Hollywood Studios since 2001 (MGM!) and I was really looking forward to this ride in December, DH and I are big movie fans. The list of things to do at HS is dwindling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter