Grandma has Neuropathy, need GAC?

Nicole786

DIS Veteran
Hi guys

Everyone here is always so helpful, and we are just getting together the last minute items for our trip on Wed! I'll be traveling with my mother and my grandmother, who has Neuropathy (numbness of toes) from spinal surgery she had a few years back. Because of this, we have rented an ECV because she can not be on her feet for long periods of time. I never considered a GAC (frankly because I'm afraid to ask for one for fear of being laughed at or turned away) but i'm not sure she needs one. Anyone have any opinions? Is a GAC what I need for my grandma, or will the ECV work out perfectly fine?

Thank you,
Nicole

Hi guys

Everyone here is always so helpful, and we are just getting together the last minute items for our trip on Wed! I'll be traveling with my mother and my grandmother, who has Neuropathy (numbness of toes) from spinal surgery she had a few years back. Because of this, we have rented an ECV because she can not be on her feet for long periods of time. I never considered a GAC (frankly because I'm afraid to ask for one for fear of being laughed at or turned away) but i'm not sure she needs one. Anyone have any opinions? Is a GAC what I need for my grandma, or will the ECV work out perfectly fine?

Thank you,
Nicole

The GAC is to "communicate" special needs to the cast members running the rides. The ECV is an obvious communication to the cast members that your grandmother can't be on her feet very long, and/or needs to sit, and not do stairs. If there isn't anything else to communicate, there's no need for a GAC.

WDW is very handicap-friendly, especially to the elderly.

If her needs are meet by using the EVC then she does not need to wory with trying to get a GAC. The CM's at the rides and shows will see that she is in the EVC and will be able to help. The GAC is intended for people who have a hidden issues. Be sure to stop by guest services and get a special map for guest with disabilities. It will have some very helpful information in it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter