Grand Villas - where is the BEST?

BoardwalkSuzy

Mouseketeer
We are getting ready to try to reserve a grand villa. Would love to hear from others who have had the opportunity to stay in several of them and provide some comparisons. Which grand villa is your favorite and why? We are a group of 10 - kids 2,4,6 and a tween who is 12 (all girls, except 6 yr old boy), and 2 sets of parents plus a single mom. Where do we put everyone and will it work? Don't want it to be too crowded, but thought it would be fun to be able to have kids together so they can play in living area instead of scattered in separate smaller units.

This trip will have main destination as MK and most of us will need to be able to come back for afternoon nap time. The BLT looks like has nice grand villas, but want to hear what others like who have had a chance to compare in person. Read that BLT is missing some final touches, like missing soap holders in shower, and missing towel bars, etc, so wonder if there are other missing things too? We also wonder about AK grand villa - but is it too inconvenient to get back and forth during day for the needed naps?

Also, does Disney offer renting robes for everyone? That's one thing I don't like to have to pack when flying cross-country with carry-ons only.

What is your home resort? GVs at that resort could likely be your only chance of getting one because they generally go during the 11 month window (and in fact often go exactly 11 months out).

Otherwise, I have not seen BLT's but of all others personal view is that the one-story GVs at AKL Jambo are the best with large porches stretching across most of the unit, view of animals, and pool table. Second would be BWV's single story. All the two stories at the resorts that have them are also fine but cannot compare to the type of great space living area you get with a one-story.

the blt gv with a MK view - are to me the best - love MK.

that say these things are EXPENSIVE.

We stayed in a single story at BWV and loved it. The extra space was great, but one advantage of two-story units (other than the couple at BWV) is that the secondary bedrooms don't share a wall.

Caroline

We liked the ones at SSR so much we booked another again for Thanksgiving.
Only downside was W/D is upstairs.

Those MK view GV's are pricey-Spiceycat I've run the numbers for a few trips:scared1:

What is your home resort? GVs at that resort could likely be your only chance of getting one because they generally go during the 11 month window (and in fact often go exactly 11 months out).

Otherwise, I have not seen BLT's but of all others personal view is that the one-story GVs at AKL Jambo are the best with large porches stretching across most of the unit, view of animals, and pool table. Second would be BWV's single story. All the two stories at the resorts that have them are also fine but cannot compare to the type of great space living area you get with a one-story.

My papers are about to come in for BWV for 350 points. We are planning trip every other year using 700 points for 6 night stay in GV, at least eventually. Heard that the GV at BLT was too cramped for 12 people to hang out in living room on Disboard, so wanted to hear more. I like the Boardwalk since like the idea of being able to Surrey bike, easily walk to 2 parks, and take monorail to MK from Epcot monorail stop. But monorail must not be option after 9pm since Epcot closes too early - 9pm. It's all about location for me. The thing I like to avoid are buses and shuttles - especially if not direct service to desired destination. After a few too many bus stops, I get pretty impatient (or nauseated).

AKV sounds really good and I even watched a cool video of the GV, but worried about where I can walk around there - are there trails or boats that go anywhere or anything, or is it a bus ride to everything? Also the pool table with the billiard balls for 2,4, and 6 year olds sounds scary to be introducing - those balls would definitely have to be put away (maybe OK when older). But AKV may be worth a try one year, though, since we love seeing the animals - and the pools, the pool bar, the jacuzzis are all fantastic there (stayed at AKL once). The balconies look awesome at AKV. A huge balcony is a must - love sitting out on a balcony! So you have found that the single stories really do have more square footage and usable space? That's my experience too with other places - 2 story have the illusion of space without the actual space.

I'm glad I chose the BWV though, since I like that they have single story grand villas, with the option of 2 floor ones too, all with great views. Hope they have a reservation code to allow you to designate which you want at BWV- single story or 2 story - does anyone know if they do? Of course, there's something special that every DVC resort has to offer so it's fun to try other places too.

Thanks for your recommendations!:flower3:

I'm glad I chose the BWV though, since I like that they have single story grand villas, with the option of 2 floor ones too, all with great views. Hope they have a reservation code to allow you to designate which you want at BWV- single story or 2 story - does anyone know if they do? Of course, there's something special that every DVC resort has to offer so it's fun to try other places too.

Thanks for your recommendations!:flower3:

Unfortunately they don't have codes for the two types, but at least your chances are better for a single story (5:2).

Caroline

The best you can do with BWV is to request a single story GV, but you might not get it. There are only 7 GVs at BWV. That's a VERY small number. Don't plan on getting a GV at anything other than your home resort. I'd probably book at your home resort and then try to change at the 7 month window if you have enough points to do so. If I was making the choice, it would be OKW most of the time. I LOVE the space in those OKW GVs! My second choice would be AKV for the animals and the huge entertainment spaces.

The best you can do with BWV is to request a single story GV, but you might not get it. There are only 7 GVs at BWV. That's a VERY small number. Don't plan on getting a GV at anything other than your home resort. I'd probably book at your home resort and then try to change at the 7 month window if you have enough points to do so. If I was making the choice, it would be OKW most of the time. I LOVE the space in those OKW GVs! My second choice would be AKV for the animals and the huge entertainment spaces.

Saw watched a YouTube of the GV at OKW. The OKW villa is bright and cheery, love the jacuzzi tub for 2, and a real kitchen window at the sink. BWV has a sink facing a wall in the kitchen - really hate not being able to look at anything when have dishes to wash!

Someone just purchased 1000 OKW points at $58 - pretty nice, bet they are going for some GV time at OKW, but never know - maybe they plan to spend entire summer in a studio, or trade the points for other resorts! At least they will have first grabs at the 11 mth window with ownership at OKW.

Found this article about OKW refurbishments:

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Updates at Disney Timeshare Resorts for BoardWalk Villas and Old Key West Resort
Author: Jason Tremblay

Disney’s BoardWalk Villas timeshares are in the process of receiving a facelift and the Old Key West timeshare resort won’t be far behind.

Upgrades to the timeshare units at Disney’s Old Key West Resort have been announced during the Disney Condo Association annual meetings, and will include the refinishing of wood floors or replacing of carpets; timeshare units repainted, and blinds or drapery replaced.

Sofas and love seats are to be reupholstered and all one-bedroom and larger timeshare units at the Disney Old Key West Resort will receive the addition of a twin sleeper chair. Kitchens will gain new granite countertops and new hardware for the cabinetry; ceiling fans will be replaced throughout; and new lamps will be added in the living room and master bedrooms. Electronics will receive an upgrade as all televisions are replaced with flat panel units.

A Reason to Love Disney Vacation Club Timeshare
One of the many reasons people love Disney Vacation Club timeshares is Disney’s commitment to maintenance and ensuring that the timeshare you buy today is one you can love and enjoy for years to come.

The facelift for Disney’s Old Key West Resort is very similar in scope to what is already underway at BoardWalk Villas timeshares. The Old Key West Resort refurbishments are scheduled to begin in Spring 2010 and will run into Spring 2011.
:laundy:

The facelift for Disney’s Old Key West Resort is very similar in scope to what is already underway at BoardWalk Villas timeshares. The Old Key West Resort refurbishments are scheduled to begin in Spring 2010 and will run into Spring 2011.
That schedule has been revised. Now they are saying refurbishments wont start until later this year, and I can imagine that will mean completion later next year as well. I was told by the manager that it will be a 95% replacemtent of all hard goods.

Just checked CarolMN's thread of villa availability for December (when we plan to travel) which is about 9 months away, and don't see any reports of lack of availability for the GV's at AK, BWV, OKW or BLT, but since it mentions "no reports" - it may just mean no one has tried to book a GV that uses Disboard. I do see the treehouse villas at SSR pretty much booked for Dec 2010, but no others. Maybe the list is incomplete. To me it looks like it's the standard view studios that are highest in demand actually and get booked the fastest.

I even checked the 7 month window for October, and there are still GV's available or not reported as unavailable. Only a week at Jambo for a GV is fully booked so far for Oct 2010.

Thought you may find this interesting. Here's the link to September 2010 - just 6 months away and there is no reported lack of GV availability:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2299458

The only GV we stayed at was at the AKL Jambo house two years ago and it was awesome. The savannah view pretty much depends on which villa you get. Ours faced Kidani during construction and had 5 flat screen tv's, including one in the master bathroom opposite the whirlpool tub, a pool table room, living room, 4 bathrooms, full kitchen, large dining room table, etc. The works! Each of the five seperate rooms had a balcony to watch the animals. I loved the atmospere and decore. Transportation to the parks was not a problem, it just may take an extra few minutes to go to the MK. The only draw back to the GV we stayed in was that it was at the very end of the building and was always a hike going to and from. Still, I would highly recommend AKL and would like to stay there again some day.

Even though I don't think you can plan on a GV, we got one at BWV for Christmas just a few months out. You just never know!

Caroline

I just checked for an OKW GV from Dec. 1-8, and couldn't get it for 5-7. Odd that it would be the weekend that is unavailable, but that's what he told me. Looks like we will be sticking to a 1 bedroom plus a 2 bedroom.

Since it is still within our home resort priority window, I'm going to guess there wont be anything available at the 7 month window, but I'm going to call back right before the 7 month window to see if anything has opened up yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter