• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grand Floridian vs Boardwalk Inn

blackacex2

Mouseketeer
I know these kinds of posts are very subjective (perhaps repetitive too) but I have never stayed at either resort. We always stay at Wyndham bonnet creek but we want to go for the full disney experience this year.

For our april trip upcoming I can choose standard view BWI for $238/night or the GF in a garden view room for $303 per night. (Six nights total)

We love MK and Epcot. The poly is not an option for our dates, neither is the contemporary, beach club, or yacht club =(. All the DVC stuff is booked solid except OKW, AKL, and SSR and of those only OKW is appealing to us. ($210/ night)

We will have a rental car- and it's just my wife and I (we are both 27 and love disney- this our fourth april trip 2010 (honeymoon) 2011, 2012- now 2013)

Please share your experiences with these resorts =)

We love BW. Walking distance to EPCOT (less than 15 minutes), things to do at night, great restaurants at S&D, Y&B Club and BW. There is always something going on on the boardwalk at night (weather permitting), Jellyrolls, Atlantic Dance Hall. Boat ride to DHS. Great atmosphere. Mornings sitting on the boardwalk with breakfast watching the Friendships boats and the relaxing scenery.

GF has the monorail, close to MK. There are good/great restaurants at GF and surrounding resorts but GF was always a bit "stuffy" for us.

Disney being Disney, you can't go wrong with either one but think about where you will be spending most of your time. MK or EPCOT/DHS and then decide. For the experience of staying in the GF go for it. I would rather stay at BW, take the price difference and go for a really nice signature dinner.

Have fun !:wave2:

Out of the 2, we've only stayed at the GF, but BWI is on our list to try. They are both beautiful resorts. I agree with the pp that I would decide which park(s) you will be going to the most. If it's about even between Epcot/DHS and MK, then I would choose by which theme appeals to you the most. BWI is great for having the boardwalk with nightly entertainment and being close to the BC/YC for a variety of dining options; but the GF is also great that it's easy to visit the Poly and CR for the same reasons. Good luck deciding, although I don't think either resort is a bad choice.

We love BW. Walking distance to EPCOT (less than 15 minutes), things to do at night, great restaurants at S&D, Y&B Club and BW. There is always something going on on the boardwalk at night (weather permitting), Jellyrolls, Atlantic Dance Hall. Boat ride to DHS. Great atmosphere. Mornings sitting on the boardwalk with breakfast watching the Friendships boats and the relaxing scenery.

GF has the monorail, close to MK. There are good/great restaurants at GF and surrounding resorts but GF was always a bit "stuffy" for us.

Disney being Disney, you can't go wrong with either one but think about where you will be spending most of your time. MK or EPCOT/DHS and then decide. For the experience of staying in the GF go for it. I would rather stay at BW, take the price difference and go for a really nice signature dinner.

Have fun !:wave2:

100% in agreement. For you and your wife, the Boardwalk area sounds ideal, especially with quick access to two parks, and great people-watching on the Boardwalk!

We've stayed Club Level at both.

GF gets the edge for overall elegance of course. The band can be fun to listen to in the evening. The hotel shops at GF are the nicest on property. The GF rooms are larger. I think the GF pools are nicer than at the BWI (although the Rose Garden quiet pool is very nice).

Beyond that, I think it mostly depends on which area of WDW you prefer.

There is a lot of construction happening at GF right now, so I would definitely opt for BWI for the trip you have planned. I have stayed at both resorts and both are quite nice, but staying near a major construction zone would detract from my vacation.

I have stayed club level at both and regular room at both.

I love the Boardwalk Inn. I love it. It's my favorite resort at WDW. I love the location, the room decor, the hotel itself and the cast members who work there.

Awesome responses- thanks! I'm not too worried about the construction because by April it looks like all the pools etc. will be open at the Grand Floridian.

A lot of boardwalk fans here! I love the idea of saving money and staying there, but there's just something so enticing about being able to stay at the "flagship" hotel. I also think the chances of getting a crappy view at the Grand Floridian are much lower than at a boardwalk standard view room. We also do not like the clown pool (but honestly, does ANYONE like the clown pool?). Otherwise the rooms at boardwalk look gorgeous and we adore that area.

So hard to decide!

I have stayed at both GF in a GV room and BWI in a Water View Room. Although I loved BWI, I still prefer the GF. I liked having the QS and TS restaurants all self contained in one resort. I like having a beach--the BWI does not. The rooms are similar in decor-IMO. Tough choice overall--good luck!:goodvibes

DH and I (before we were married) took our first trip together and stayed at the BWI. It was a blast - an absolute wonderful spot. Well, for our honeymoon, we went back to Disney and stayed at the Grand Flo. It was beautiful and the location for MK was out of this world. BUT, we both wished we were back at the BW. We missed the location and the entrance to Epcot. In the twelve years we've been married, I'd say that 80% of our Disney vacations are spent at the BW. As a matter of fact, we will be back there in a couple of weeks!! Sometimes we don't even go into the parks - we just loaf around at the resort - play games in the Belle Vue Lounge or walk over to the beach at YC/BC. I love love love the location (but I'm an Epcot junky). It's fun to browse around the Swan and Dolphin as well - great sushi place at the Swan. There is just soooo much to do - especially if you are a night owl (like DH). He loves to go to the Dance Hall and people watch etc. But goodness - what fabulous choices you have - really can't go wrong with either one!

We've stayed CL in both and prefer the Boardwalk.
I just love that area! Between Epcot and the boardwalk itself, you can't go wrong.

I'm another person who has stayed at both (club level), whilst I enjoyed the GF as Disney's 'flagship' resort I found it a tad disappointing. I love the BWI, it has less rooms which I found afforded a more personal service, I also prefer the room/resort decor, fun and adult at the same time. I can't stand the bedspreads at the GF although I do like the room decor generally.

As an adult whose favourite park is Epcot the Boardwalk location is amazing, plus of course the many dining choices right on your doorstep.

I've stayed at both. DH and I both prefer the Boardwalk. There is more going on. I love the monorail to MK, but we love being able to walk to World Showcase more! If you want a quieter trip, go with GF. If you are looking for more entertainment options, choose Boardwalk.

We also do not like the clown pool (but honestly, does ANYONE like the clown pool?). Otherwise the rooms at boardwalk look gorgeous and we adore that area.

So hard to decide!

BWI has a great quiet pool that is actually QUIET! It is far away from the evil clown, so you would never have to lay eyes on it!

I've stayed at both, and love both, but prefer BWI. Here's why.

1. It feels newer/cleaner. The rooms have also been refurbished more recently, without those heavy comforters they have at the GF.

2. It never feels crowded at BWI in the Inn itself. Of course the BoardWalk gets busy at night, but that's what you'd expect.

3. I think the pools are big wins at BWI. They Luna Park pool is whimsical, very big, and I love having the BWV, and Swan towering over me while I swim. The quiet pool is lovely, very quiet (what a concept!), and dare I say, romantic at night.

4. I love the food options at both, but BWI restaurants never feel overly crowded.

5. The Bellevue Lounge Bar at BWI is superior...it's just classy.

6. You can't beat walking to 2 theme parks, and one of my favorite things to do on a quiet day, or in the rain is to take one of the friendship boats around to the other resorts.

7. Speaking of the other resorts, you can walk to BC/YC, S&D and all their restaurants/bars.

8. My biggest reason currently is the construction at GF. It's just a mess.

Whichever you pick, you're in for a treat.
Good luck! :thumbsup2

I am curious where you got such great prices...we are paying almost $300 night for the BWI in April :confused3 with the current deal

OP, save your GF trip for after the DVC construction is over. Believe me I know the pull of the GF. If you really want to do it up, stay club level in the main building- Royal Palm Club. Maybe stay at Bonnet Creek again and save your trip dollars to really splurge when you go to GF.

BW fans here. Walk to two parks... Great food options. Great poolside bar. Night time entertainment. And early morning walks on the boardwalk are the best!

I am curious where you got such great prices...we are paying almost $300 night for the BWI in April :confused3 with the current deal

I am a travel agent, so once a year we are offered 50% off (sometimes more) for up to a seven night stay. Availability for rooms set aside for this offer seems limited vs rooms available to the general public. We also get a free 1 day park hopper with water parks and more or about $180 for a six day park hopper with water parks and more.

Helps booking vacations when I can share with clients first hand experience- still $300+ per night is very very expensive for us and we are tempted to stay at the Waldorf Astoria for around $230 a night instead, I hear it is fabulous!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter