• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL review

thumper*

Disney Dreamer
We just got back from our Disney vacation and were able to spend our last 3 nt’s at the GF CL Sugar Loaf building Dec 4th-7th. We arrived at about 8:10 am and met the wonderful Greeter Richard, he was standing outside greeting anyone. We drove our own car and the security at the guard gate was friendly enough, but nobody from CL services greeted us upon entry into main building.

Since SL CL wasn’t manned by desk CL staff yet (according to RPC CL) we checked in at the CL desk in the main building. We were promptly checked in, our room was not ready. They walked us to SL and let us in (I’m thinking our magic bands would have given us entry but am unsure). By this time the desk Cl were there and Jordan got me a glass of Champagne I requested w/o issue at 8:30am. We helped ourselves to the morning offerings. After eating our nibbles we were off to MK for the day. Received our room ready text at 1:16pm.

We had put in a request for a king room with marina view. Once to the room it was a double queen. I went to the CL desk to see if a king was available. After a phone call to reservations he told me there were no kings available for our stay. Oh well it is by request and isn’t a bookable category. After being in our room for several minutes we discovered it was very loud since it was on the 3’rd floor right above CL. We placed a towel at the bottom of the door to help reduce the noise. It was also loud out on the balcony with all of the golf carts going by (the ones hauling linen were exceptionally loud). Gasparilla’s was at the end of our building and their outdoor seating had heavy metal chairs that were very loud when guest pulled them out from the tables. If I were to stay again I would request a quitter room in one of the wings with the doors to CL that close to keep it quite and probably on the pool side instead of Marina (noise travel so much over water).

There were a few friendly staff in the CL lounge but none that stood out as great. When DH asked for beer at about 3 in the afternoon Jared told him that cocktails were served starting at 5pm and begrudgingly gave him the beers. They had Sam Adams Octoberfest, Stella Artois, Hard Cider and Bud Light. I found that their pours for wine and Frangelico were light requiring me to go back for refills frequently, even though you were allowed 2 at a time.

We enjoyed their breakfast offerings all 4 mornings. 7am-10:30am. They had breads, bagels, croissants, various muffins and danishes (apple or cheese, rotated), Deviled eggs (yes I had Julia Roberts escargot moment, slippery suckers), roast turkey, ham, Prosciutto ham, American & Swiss cheese, Sticky Maple Pecan rolls, Vegetable Frittata, oatmeal, yogurt, & various cereals. These were the same every AM with the exception of Wed in which they also had made to order Mickey Waffles. Always nice to see that smiling up to me in the morning.

We only saw the refreshments (11:30am-3:30pm) once or twice. It usually consisted of the leftover croissants danishes and muffins from the morning, crudité, tomato feta salad, homemade potato chips, pretzels, grapes, gummy bears, animal crackers, crackers, cookies, & macaroons.

We only made it to tea once it had the same offerings as the refreshment hours plus, cheeses and lot’s of sweets. If I remember right they had banana bread, Red velvet cake, gingerbread cake, Mickey pot de crème (coconut tarts), jelly tarts, sconces. Some of these may have been in the desert offerings after 8pm.

Our first night we were able to take advantage of the Twilight refresher 5pm-7pm. Tuna Tartar, Leek Vichyssoise, Mini Corndogs, Lamb? Meatballs, cheeses and many other things I can’t remember and of course my phone was in the room charging so no pictures to remind me. I’m sure there are few things I’m forgetting from all of the offerings I mentioned. Overall the food offerings in CL were very good.

My favorites were Vegetable Frittata, Maple Pecan sticky buns, macaroons, gingerbread cake, POG juice, and the cappuccino. DH loved the Tuna tartar.

Went to Gasparilla’s for something hot to eat after MVMCP, they only make pizza’s after 11:00pm or 11:30pm we were stuck with cold turkey and roast beef sandwiches and an old cheese plate from the fridge. The Turkey sandwich was soggy on the first few bites (do to the Mandarin oranges on it) but was better after that. The cheese plate and the Roast beef sandwich both got thrown away, not palatable. We did have the pizza our first night and most of it was thrown away, a little greasy.

We had lunch at Beaches Pool bar one afternoon. The pool isn't closed yet for refurb. We split a Crab cake sandwich w/ potato chips and the Lobster slider with fries. These were both wonderful and full of meat.

On 2 evenings we grabbed some cocktails from CL and went over to Gasparilla’s deck and watched HEA, great view. Music is piped in.

Bell services were fine as was valet parking.

Security at the monorail was quick for us but slow for those having to go through bag check.

Took the boat once to Poly, pleasant captain and nice quick trip.

Signature services helped me make Sleigh ride ressy's and change them twice, then I had them cancel the Sleigh Ride, no issues. They also made a ressy for Dh to get a haircut at Main Street Barber. They were unable to get me ADR's at Beaches & Cream when they were booked up telling me to keep trying myself. I did not have them make any FP's.

Overall we had a good experience, but for the price (I was stuck at rack rates) I don’t feel that the GF is that grand. I much preferred our Savanna view AKL stay’s though I do prefer the décor of GF to AKL. Also GF was much busier with visitors to see the Gingerbread House or for dining. Many times it was hard to get around the crowd at the Gingerbread House so that we could get down the hallway that leads outside to SL.

Thanks to all who helped answer my questions to improve our stay. Even if it doesn't sound like it I did enjoy our vacation. But with the prices Disney is charging we won't be back until the 50'th anniversary of MK.

Last edited:
Thanks for the informative review.

About the beer incident, I know that posters always say the CMs get them beers and wine no problem before 5, but CM helpfulness varies. During our stay at BWI (where everyone raves about the CMs) I asked for a glass of wine and the answer was, 'Cocktail hour starts at 5pm'. Then as we were sitting in the lounge (I think it was 2-3pm snack time) a woman came in and another CM brought her out several beers (4?) in some sort of bucket. It's too bad your CM was in a lazy mood. They should all be trained to the same standards.

The food you threw out because it was inedible: I would have gone right back to the counter and nicely asked to be refunded. I'm sure they would have done it no problem. Their prices are high, we know that, but the food should be edible/not soggy or dried out. Especially at GF CL prices! :scared:

I would have gone right back to the counter and nicely asked to be refunded. I'm sure they would have done it no problem. Their prices are high, we know that, but the food should be edible/not soggy or dried out. Especially at GF CL prices!
I had considered that but at midnight I was too pooped to head back down to Gaspys.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter