Grand Cayman - what to see and do

Has anyone every seen any dolphin swims in Grand Cayman? I would love to do that there with my daughters. I know they have it in Cozumel, but we are planning on doing the jeep tour there.

When we were there almost a year ago, I don't recall there being a dolphin swim in Grand Cayman - I know Mexico and Nassau both have them but last I heard Grand Cayman does not.

We're booked with Captain Marvin's on the 1/2 day snorkel trip from 10 - 1, and wanted to see the Turtle Farm afterwards. The people at CM said they could drop us off at the nearest bus stop to get to Boatswain Park, but I'm paranoid that we won't have enough time to see the Turtle Farm and catch the bus back for the last tender (busses run every 1/2 hour, I'm told). For those who have used the busses, does this seem like a reasonable schedule, or are we going to be rushing and cutting it close?

We did not use the busses. We rented a car and drove around the island. But I can tell you later in the day it took us probablly about 3 times as long to get through town back from the rental company as it did in the morning - traffic is horrible in the late afternoon.

does anybody just walk around? we normally dont do excursion, just walk around and explore.

In Grand Cayman we spent the morning walking around the stores in town close to the ship.

Then in the afternoon we hailed a taxi to Royal Palms. We ate out on the patio - the food and drinks were very good.

For $5.00 we got a lounger and we used the beach all afternoon until we needed to leave to go back to the ship. My husband had brought his own snorkeling equipment, however there was some for rent.

If you did not want to get a chair - the beach was free. I do have some pictures - but I am picture posting challenged!

They had taxis there to return you back to the ship at any time.

Here is a link to a website with pictures - they do have a webcam so you can see a picture of the patio that we ate on and the beach.

http://www.reefgrill.com/pages/netcam.html

We would go back this year - as we decided to just do a beach day for the entire day instead of just doing a half day.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Kelly

Has anyone went horseback riding in Grand Cayman? I am interested in doing this.

We've never been there so it will be our 1st time.
Our kids will be 10, 7 and 2-1/2 so were trying to decide what beach would be best for us and/or if we could do some type of excursion with the older 2 while leaving the youngest on the ship??? Any help's appreciated!

We did the Island Tour - Hell and Turtle Farm

Once we got back - we roamed the shopping area and then went back to the ship and vegged in the sun by the pool

We did the Pirate Adventure with DCL. We did the second one that met shore-side @1:00 - I really can't remember. We were able to skip the rush to get off the ship - and went shopping before the adventure. Our younger two took part. (they lined the kids up - made them take the Pirate Oath, and then scrub the deck) The older two watched. Then they drop anchor and you can walk the plank and swim around the ship.
See pictures below:

DSC02976.jpg

DSC02962.jpg

DSC02956.jpg

DSC02954.jpg

DSC02967.jpg

DSC02981.jpg

DSC02988.jpg

DSC02990.jpg

DSC02979.jpg

If anyone's interested in a small quiet 'locals' beach, and a fantastic meal head south to Smith Cove and nearby Grand Old House....just a short taxi ride south of the port.

We got married at Grand Old House (they also do vow renewals) so I'm kind of bias !!......but the food was WONDERFUL (though not cheap). http://www.grandoldhouse.com/

The beach at Smith's Cove is small, but very nice and has a couple of basic restrooms (though no shops).

We did the Butterfly Farm / Hell / Turtle Farm excursion, and really had a good time. The butterfly farm is better than I thought it would be, but the turtle farm was really, really cool.

My favorite activity was going to the Tortuga Rum Cake factory store. I had purchased a sampler pack as a gift for a friend but decided to break into one w/ DD while DW shopped for a watch.

One bite into that cake and I was in heaven. Going to the factory and sampling each of the different flavors was the definite highlight. (We did the Atlantis submarine as our excursion and while fun, it was a bit too tame.)

Do you walk to the Rum Cake Factory? Or is it on the Island Tour?

Has anyone every seen any dolphin swims in Grand Cayman? I would love to do that there with my daughters. I know they have it in Cozumel, but we are planning on doing the jeep tour there.

I read on their website that Dolphin Discovery just opened on GC. We are doing it on Cozumel.

I am considering doing the Waverunner to Stingray City, anyone done this lately???

Kayla

I am considering doing the Waverunner to Stingray City, anyone done this lately???

Kayla

We went last month and had a great time!

There are a couple of different companies to choose from.
We booked through ebanks, but I've heard good things about fat fish too.

Let me know if you want to know anything in particular.

We went last month and had a great time!

There are a couple of different companies to choose from.
We booked through ebanks, but I've heard good things about fat fish too.

Let me know if you want to know anything in particular.

Were you able to stop and see the stingrays while in Stingray City?

Were you able to stop and see the stingrays while in Stingray City?

We sure were and anyone who wanted to could hold and/or kiss a stingray. Personally I passed on the kissing bit. ;)

We also stopped to do some snorkeling along Barrier Reef and that was very cool too.

DD10 says the waverunner trip was her favorite this vacation, and we did some really amazing things.
Of course I think it was less to do with being in the Caymans and more to do with the waverunners... kind of like the kid who likes the box more than the gift on Christmas morning.
:rotfl2:

we just returned and did the stingray city with Chip Whitney (stingray city sailing ) phenomenal !! Small groups great host, if going you gotta check him out. My girls (7-11) had a blast with the huge stingrays and snorkeling

We sure were and anyone who wanted to could hold and/or kiss a stingray. Personally I passed on the kissing bit. ;)

We also stopped to do some snorkeling along Barrier Reef and that was very cool too.

DD10 says the waverunner trip was her favorite this vacation, and we did some really amazing things.
Of course I think it was less to do with being in the Caymans and more to do with the waverunners... kind of like the kid who likes the box more than the gift on Christmas morning.
:rotfl2:

We just booked through island marketing, we are also doing the Nachi Cocum beach break in Cozumel, booked with them also. So I am not sure who the actual operator is.

Kayla

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!