Grand Canyon/Zion Park Advice

missstcroix

Mouseketeer
Hi! We are traveling out west for Spring Break in a few weeks. Plan is to fly into Vegas, head to Zion Ntl Park..staying at Lake Powell for 3 nights. We will then circle around and do South Rim of Grand Canyon, and West Rim before heading back. I booked the all inclusive Cowboy Ranch at the West Rim..anyone been there? Opinions? Worth it??? We end up back in Vegas for the end of the trip. Got an awesome deal at Luxor. I know it is alot of driving, but we are from NJ and will only head this way once and want to get it all in. Also, can anyone tell me how far from Lake Powell to the Four Corners? If it is 2 hours or less one way I will consider seeing it. Any other suggestions? Boys are 9 and 11. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

I would suggest checking out Bryce Canyon National Park. It's about an hour and a half from Zion and is the inspiration for Big Thunder Mtn Railroad. It's absolutely gorgeous and there's lots of activities. Horseback riding trails are big there. It's really beautiful, you should definitely google it!

We are from NJ also. We did a similar trip in Nov. (when everyone else here in NJ is in Disney!!)
We flew into Vegas, went to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. We didn't stop at the West rim at all so I can't help you there. I have read on another travel forum that parts of the west rim roads are unpaved and you can't take a rental car on them... check that out before you go.
We stopped at the Grand Canyon Caverns which is in Peach Springs AZ. I don't think that is too far from thre West rim turn offs. My three kids LOVED the cavern. They were 13, 10 and 6 at the time.
We then drove to The south rim of the grand canyon, stayed two nights there.
Try to fit in a ranger talk, they are very interesting (and FREE)

then we drove to Page to do a tour of Antelope canyon.. is that in your plans? If not, do it, it is BEAUTIFUL!!
We then (the same day) drove up to Bryce. After Bryce we went to Zion and then back to Vegas.
It was a wonderful trip..
I have not been out to the four corners, but from what I understand it is a LONG ride (I think longer then 2 hours) and there is nothing to do there other then take your picture with you spread out in four States.

Let me know if I can help you in any way... I loved that trip!!
Tina

Tina, thanks so much! Yes, I figured there is nothing to do but take the quick picture at the four corners....I was willing to do it for a 4 hour turn around (2 hours each way) but not more than that. We do plan on staying right in Page..so THANK YOU on the Antelope info..will check that out. The cowboy ranch thing at the Western rim says that the road is unpaved leading to it..but I hadn't heard anything about not being able to take the rental car on it..will look into that too. How long was your ride from Vegas to the South Rim? Your trip sounds EXACTLY what I have planned except in reverse...I thought I would drive up to Zion, Bryce, Page, and then back around the southern end of Grand Canyon and swing back that way. Trying to decide whether or not to leave the western canyon in the plan. How many nights did you stay in Vegas? And how long from South Rim to Page? You are a big help having done this exact trip..THANK YOU! I CANT WAIT!

Here is my trip report that I did back in Nov.
We were there for 1 week
Sat. Vegas
Sun. woke up early and headed to GC
the trip takes about 5 hours we stopped to see the caverns so it took longer.
Mon at GC all day
Tues. left early for Page. about 2 1/2 hours?
left Page and went to Bryce another 2 1/2 -3 hours
Wed.left Bryce and went to Zion about 2 hours
Thursday left Zion and went bakc to Vegas to catch a 6am flight Friday morning. about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Zion to Vegas.

We flew into Vegas last Saturday (Nov 4th). My husband and three kids, ages 13,10 and 6. Spent the day there. Stayed at the Flamingo.
We went to the Mirage and saw the tigers and dolphins,
and walked around the strip.
Sunday morning we were out early to get to the Grand Canyon. We first stopped at the Grand Canyon Caverns and that was such a cool tour. We all liked it. Then we moved onto the Grand Canyon.
This was my second time at the Canyon and it still amazes me. It was the first time for my family.
We saw a male mule deer eating grass right outside our hotel, Kachina. Then when we checked in at El Tovar we saw 3 elk!
how cool is that??!!
Monday morning we got up at sunrise, there was a full moon, so we saw that set. It was beautiful!
We spent the day going to Ranger programs, and just wandering around the canyon. We then saw 7 Big horned Sheep!!
My kids were thrilled at all the wildlife we were seeing.
Monday evening we did another Ranger program, a moonlight walk. Because of the full moon the Canyon was lit up!!
Tuesday we got up early and drove to Page AZ to see Antelope Canyon. OMG this place was unbelieveable!!
We then moved on to Bryce Canyon in Utah. Utah is such a beautiful State!! We stated at the Best Western Ruby Inn.
We saw Bryce, then hit the hotel for dinner and the kids went to the pool.
Wed. we got up and saw all of Bryce, drove from view point to view point.
We saw a bald Eagle at the lake at Ruby Inn.
Then it was on to our next stop Zion National Park. We arrived to Zion, only to have to go through this loong tunnel, and once on the other side we had to drive down intp the Canyon. It was a great drive down and once in the Canyon it immediately became my favorite Park!!
We stayed in Springdale at the Best Western Zion Inn.
The cottonwood trees were a beautiful yellow, the canyon walls were all colors, it was just wonderful!!
We got up on Thursday and hiked in Zion, then headed back to Vegas

It is about 3 hours from Page to the 4 Corners and so NOT worth it. Unless you want to tell people you have been there it is very unforgettable - especially with so much else to do in Utah and Arizona.

Depending on how adventurous your group is you might want to consider dong the Buckskin Gulch slot canyon.

It isn't as spectacular as Antelope Canyon, but it is cheap and it is just off Highway 89 on your way to Page from Bryce Canyon / Zion’s. It is the longest slot canyon in the world (you won't get to do the whole thing) and absolutely beautiful - especially if you like the desert scenery. It might be the highlight of the trip for the boys. I know mine love it. If you go, access it via the Wire Pass trailhead. It is a much shorter hike to get to the actual canyon itself. Have a GREAT trip.

A good website for Buckskin Gulch is: americansouthwest.net/slot_canyons/buckskin_gulch/canyon.html

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter