Grand Californian Direct

I am sooooo tempted! When I stopped by the other week and asked, the guide you could tell was struggling to word things correctly. Basically said if I want VGC I have to be ready to buy. I just wish I knew what the point chart for VDH would look like and how hard it would be to book at 7 months seeing that while still considered small, a lot bigger than VGC. 50 points can barely cover 2 nights a year for a studio and that’s not even in high season. Decisions decisions..
Are there restrictions for adding on direct as far as point increments? I was thinking that if I don't own any direct points (only resale) I wouldn't be allowed to add on a direct contract at VGC for 50 points. Maybe they only allow an initial buy in of the 150 minimum.

Are there restrictions for adding on direct as far as point increments? I was thinking that if I don't own any direct points (only resale) I wouldn't be allowed to add on a direct contract at VGC for 50 points. Maybe they only allow an initial buy in of the 150 minimum.
As long as you have a membership (whether resale or direct) you are allowed to add on the minimum, which for VGC I think is 25 if not financing. You won't qualify for the benefits that come with buying 150 points though, but will count towards the accumulated total of direct points if you add more later. If you're seriously thinking about adding I can give you the contact of a CA guide that I really like.

As long as you have a membership (whether resale or direct) you are allowed to add on the minimum, which for VGC I think is 25 if not financing. You won't qualify for the benefits that come with buying 150 points though, but will count towards the accumulated total of direct points if you add more later. If you're seriously thinking about adding I can give you the contact of a CA guide that I really like.
Sure that would be great! Have you priced out a 50 point contract with fees etc?

I hear you. I chose VGC resale over waiting for VDH for your exact reasons and I'm thrilled with the purchase.

As for extending VGC: The consensus seems to be that California timeshare law is different to Florida and a hotel wing cannot simply be converted into a timeshare.

There is an interesting dues setup at VGC. The budget is based on both the hotel and villa rooms in the 2009 wing. Then that amount is taken by the points for just the villas. I've never heard an official explanation, but my thought is DVC actually owns the hotel rooms also and rents them for cash.

Sure that would be great! Have you priced out a 50 point contract with fees etc?
I sent you a PM. I never bought a CA property but if it's similar to FL then it should just be the price per point + closing costs. Direct closing cost were cheaper than what I have been paying resale.

There is an interesting dues setup at VGC. The budget is based on both the hotel and villa rooms in the 2009 wing. Then that amount is taken by the points for just the villas. I've never heard an official explanation, but my thought is DVC actually owns the hotel rooms also and rents them for cash.
It is an odd mish-mash of rooms in that wing, and I've always been surprised they didn't utilize all of them for DVC.

Reading this thread with interest - we just bought Aulani resale and after staying at the Grand Californian this summer with my wife and 2-year-old, we would love to have points at VGC. I'd buy resale, but a 30-40K contract isn't in our budget now, However, adding on direct a smaller 25-50 point contract would be ideal. Excited to know it might, maybe, be possible.

Reading this thread with interest - we just bought Aulani resale and after staying at the Grand Californian this summer with my wife and 2-year-old, we would love to have points at VGC. I'd buy resale, but a 30-40K contract isn't in our budget now, However, adding on direct a smaller 25-50 point contract would be ideal. Excited to know it might, maybe, be possible.
Me too, looking into it presently.

But this is also the resale per point when the contracts are super small. They are very rare and when I do see them they are 295+ a point.......

FYI - My guide called me a few days ago and thanked me for referring someone to him for direct points at VGC. He didn't have his license just yet to sell to a CA resident (he was in the process of getting his CA license renewed in anticipation of a upcoming resort that he isn't quite allowed to talk about yet..... cough cough VDH). He said VGC points are still there and ready for purchase and said I could have 50 of them if I wanted :) Sadly I didn't ask about 25.

But this is also the resale per point when the contracts are super small. They are very rare and when I do see them they are 295+ a point.......

FYI - My guide called me a few days ago and thanked me for referring someone to him for direct points at VGC. He didn't have his license just yet to sell to a CA resident (he was in the process of getting his CA license renewed in anticipation of a upcoming resort that he isn't quite allowed to talk about yet..... cough cough VDH). He said VGC points are still there and ready for purchase and said I could have 50 of them if I wanted :) Sadly I didn't ask about 25.
Realistically though, what can one do with 25 points if they don’t have VGC points already? I think the cheapest studio room is 17pt so if you bank and borrow you can maybe get 4 days every 3 years? 50 pt isn’t great but enough for a short dland getaway.

Realistically though, what can one do with 25 points if they don’t have VGC points already? I think the cheapest studio room is 17pt so if you bank and borrow you can maybe get 4 days every 3 years? 50 pt isn’t great but enough for a short dland getaway.

Yea I think it just depends on each person and their situation. You are correct that most of us adding on a few points on a small contract are likely already owners at VGC. Also could be a family with lots of WDW points that they also use at Aulani every 2 to 3 years at 7 months and they want a few VGC points to grab a studio for a extended delay trip to stay in Cali during their return or outbound trip.

For me, I have a few points there but could see myself buying a 50 point contract every now and then over the next 5 to 7 years.

Would love the name of that guide as well. Sent you a message!

I hear you. I chose VGC resale over waiting for VDH for your exact reasons and I'm thrilled with the purchase.

As for extending VGC: The consensus seems to be that California timeshare law is different to Florida and a hotel wing cannot simply be converted into a timeshare.
Interesting.

I talked to two different guides this week and GCV was not available to purchase direct. So, your mileage may vary.

I'd like to have 75 points there for an every 2 or 3 year trip. I'm not sure the value is really there, but I'd get over it as I much prefer GC to DLH.

I talked to two different guides this week and GCV was not available to purchase direct. So, your mileage may vary.

I'd like to have 75 points there for an every 2 or 3 year trip. I'm not sure the value is really there, but I'd get over it as I much prefer GC to DLH.
Can I ask if you inquired in person or called in? I think there are some points floating around but it has to match your uy and points and I think you have to be ready to buy as soon as it’s available.

Can I ask if you inquired in person or called in? I think there are some points floating around but it has to match your uy and points and I think you have to be ready to buy as soon as it’s available.

Called in, I talked to my guide, who’s on the west coast. Also, because I couldn’t reach him initially I talked to another guide that was in Florida.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter